Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kempy

Back Packs
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:22 am »
Hi
Never used a back pack , but I do have a few properties that would benefit from no trailing hoses etc .

Who uses them and advice please

Walter Mitty

Re: Back Packs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:14:00 am »
Hi
Never used a back pack , but I do have a few properties that would benefit from no trailing hoses etc .

Who uses them and advice please

Acouple of suggestions:
I've used different ones.  The best I've come across is the version 3 sold by gardiners at

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack.html

I've no idea if there are better, but I've had four different types down the years and this one has easily been the best of them.  It gives more control options over the flow rate and the handle is not an integral part of the lid as on an earlier model (that was not a good idea IMO).  If using it a lot, some kind of trolley may be advisable.
Also, when using a backpack, it can be a big help if you have an extra long piece of pole hose ready for a quick swap because it's possible to clean a whole house without moving the backpack - obviously assuming that the property isn't massive.
I'm sure others will add to this.

EDIT:  If I need to stop the water part way through a job, I tend to use the switch on the backpack in order to avoid pump judder.

simonr

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
Always used backpacks,my son still uses one all day gardeners v3 Deff the one you want.
Use about 60ft extra pole hose but that's for all day use
I have a gardeners flow tap on it as well
Holds a charge for weeks and if used all day will re charge in couple hrs

NWH

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:43 pm »
How long can you use that V3 one before you need to charge it

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:05:59 pm »
Backpacks/trolleys do have their limited uses and have their unique set of pro’/con’s too. I suppose it depends on the work you want to take on as if it’s still worth the hassle to do in the first place really.

After using a pf trolley when I first started and found it to be a real ball ache to use I never really wanted to go back to using one for domestic wfp work after getting tanks fitted to the vans.

I believe smudger made a couple of large trolley systems for large inner courtyard jobs that he won to overcome the issue of trailing houses through the buildings but I’m sure it paid him handsomely for the hassle

After saying that I would not mess about with a backpack/trolley taking it through someones house now. It seems quite common to see backpack newbies clambering over garages, pitched/ flat roofs, locked gates, fences etc with a full backpack strapped to their back...Bless em  :P

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »

I think you will find they are best charged up after use daily to maintain the battery properly

kempy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:39 pm »
Thanks for the advice , just got a few houses where it might be beneficial to use one .
50/50 , may get one .
Or just plod on , lol

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice , just got a few houses where it might be beneficial to use one .
50/50 , may get one .
Or just plod on , lol

If I ever do well paid one off's now with no back access apart from through the house I just ask them to put towles down and run me hose through...no messing.  ;D

paulben

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:00:43 pm »
V3 backpack mine finally died Gardiners very helpful now lays in shed awaiting a rainy day but at £85 plus vat went and brought another v3
Do not steal the government hates competition

simonr

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
well it says up to 9 hrs  but i charge mine every night,
but ive charged it  then  not used it for 2 weeks & its lasted all day from that charge

CleanClear

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
Wouldn't be without my backpack.  Run through rather than go all the way round alley gates. Or go though rather than trail the hose through, even when they're fine with a trailing hose, i still prefer not to do that where possible. Parking over other side of road and need to clean a shop sign, when i can trad the actual window. Loads of reasons to have one.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CasaDeCabra

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:26:37 pm »
Do you get a flow rate similar to that from a van system?

CleanClear

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:31:18 pm »
Do you get a flow rate similar to that from a van system?

Exactly the same.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:39:31 pm »
Defo worth having one or a trolley. Or best of both worlds a backpack and an alloy sack truck to stick it on when needed.

Ideal for nipping through houses or backs of terraced.

They can actually be quicker than van mount when working in a street where you do a few houses but out of range of van mount to save reeling in and moving van (trolley obv)

But the best reason for one is for conservatory jobs that have no back access.

They come in handy and for under 100 quid is daft not to get one imo.

Miko67

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »
I haven't a van mount, only a car,
So could I buy bag pack n use water bales to carry in my car and fill it up? Obviously using pure water??

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »
you can indeed, although you will soon be screaming for a van mount after constant filling and humping and swearing  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 02:29:18 am »

I've worked a full day with it before now without it showing signs of running down.  Probably better to charge it each night, just in case.

simonr

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 07:20:05 am »
I haven't a van mount, only a car,
So could I buy bag pack n use water bales to carry in my car and fill it up? Obviously using pure water??
thats how i started out,  did it for years  , hard hard work

gary999

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 10:35:05 am »
I only use a back pack and barrels and have done so for the last 5 years...I have no problems working
this way, if you are not used to manual handling or have any physical problems it may not be advisable
For me window cleaning is the easiest work I have ever done.

Miko67

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 12:57:10 pm »
Thanks for replies.
I will give it a go.
So all I need to buy is bag pack, hose, resin , wfp and water bales??