Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

Re: £250,032
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Mods

Don't you think it's time this thread is locked?

Its turned so negative and doesn't serve any purpose at all apart from probably turning people away from the forum!

Andy

AuRavelling79

« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
Mods

Its turned so negative and doesn't serve any purpose at all apart from probably turning people away from the forum!

Andy

I understand that point of view Andy but the flip side is that it has generated over 3200 views (even more than the  "post your pic and win a pole" thread)  and other posters have called it the best thread they can remember on CIU.

I think there is enough interesting, relevant and useful stuff to let it run it's course. There are  perhaps one or two posters that seem to just want to be argumentative or post off topic stuff and I for one will keep a watchful eye.

It's a game of three halves!

supernova77

« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
Mods

Andy

I understand that point of view Andy but the flip side is that it has generated over 3200 views (even more than the  "post your pic and win a pole" thread)  and other posters have called it the best thread they can remember on CIU.

I think there is enough interesting, relevant and useful stuff to let it run it's course. There are  perhaps one or two posters that seem to just want to be argumentative or post off topic stuff and I for one will keep a watchful eye.

Fair enough.

Although I do think that it's run it's course and getting too personal?

Dave Willis

« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:02 pm »
Sir, Sir, I've got a question!

What happens if you can't fulfil your side of the agreement?
ie. you can't generate enough work?

Frankybadboy

« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2016, 09:43:38 pm »
I don't know why I'm bothering replying anymore I'm ped bored with this thread no ones telling people how it's done anyway.
didnt last long did it ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:48 pm »

Don't know.  It hasn't happened yet and I can't see why it would.  Not glib, just genuine.  There hasn't been any slowdown in response rates or incoming calls, so I genuinely can't see why it would stop without plenty of warning.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
Mods

Andy

Well, I'm enjoying it:

We have what I hope is a motivational story; if I can do it anyone can.
We have some good questions asked - I like answering questions about how we do things; one of the best ideas I had for the business came while I was crafting an answer to a question in a very bad-tempered debate on this forum.
We have messages of support
We have jokes
We have messages of dislike verging on hatred
We have people who can find but can't read company accounts
We have stalkers
We have the person who has done the most in the UK to promote franchising in WC
We have ranters
We have other franchisors
We have assertive modding

It's like an episode of Eastenders.  It's terrific!  I'm just annoyed that my "target £2m" post generated so little heat...

Vin

AuRavelling79

« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2016, 10:28:44 pm »
Do you honestly think that with that work being done out there there's not the odd house weatherboard conservatory being cleaned without you knowing it for cash in hand over 4-5 rounds of work on a daily weekly basis,I think someone needs to smell the old coffee beans if you ask me. You don't need to give me a reply to that thanks coz I know the answer,you either think you so special that they wouldn't do it to you or you don't know people in general.

But the franchisors might retort that that is what we're only making plans for, Nigel.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2016, 10:30:54 pm »

Already thought of and covered. 

Paragraph 6.1 of the Franchise Agreement states:  "I will consult with you from time to time in order to assess the gross turnover you wish to achieve...........................................................but I shall not be liable if I am unable, after acting reasonably, to procure the number of customers/turnover you require"

This is in the Agreement that both parties sign, and both willingly and without duress agree to be bound by.  The prospective franchisee has as much time as he/she wants to read, examine and understand the Agreement and we always advise that they should take it to another solicitor for professional advice before signing.

In practical terms, as Vin has said, any competent Franchisor would never be in the situation where he couldn't, within a reasonable time, procure as much work as the Franchisee could manage.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »
@Ian

Why the long pregnant pause between "achieve" and "but" in your posted segment of Para. 6.1?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »
Do you honestly think that with that work being done out there there's not the odd house weatherboard conservatory being cleaned without you knowing it for cash in hand over 4-5 rounds of work on a daily weekly basis,I think someone needs to smell the old coffee beans if you ask me. You don't need to give me a reply to that thanks coz I know the answer,you either think you so special that they wouldn't do it to you or you don't know people in general.

Of course.  But it's not restricted to a franchise organisation - any employer will tell you he has employees that he knows are moonlighting.  We try to be practical:  While cleaning Mrs Jones' house she asks our franchisee if he can clean her soffit/fascias, conservatory roof or whatever.  This will be a 'one off' type of job, no regular order placed.  We have acquired the regular work of Mrs Jones' windows, and therefore are entitled to our royalties every time the job is done.  Under the strict terms of the Agreement we are also entitled to royalties on the 'extras' but provided doing the work doesn't prevent the Franchisee from completing the scheduled regular work, we turn a  blind eye.

If the request were for (say) 4 monthly cleaning of the 'extra' then this would qualify as a regular job and we would charge a royalty fee.

It happens.  It's human nature, we try to be sensible about it.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »
@Ian

Why the long pregnant pause between "achieve" and "but" in your posted segment of Para. 6.1?

Because there is a lot of other text that doesn't bear directly on the question, concerning the Franchisee's failure to complete the work amongst other things.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:39 pm »
Ah, I see. I thought there would just be a single ellipsis of three dots.

On the subject of round "renter"/franchisee/employee doing extra jobs - that's the stance I take with DtM. In fact I chuck him extra jobs like conny roofs and gutters off of my own personal round for free instead of charging him a percentage because I can't be bothered and don't charge him and in return he does odd jobs on rainy days like servicing kit and vehicles to make the equipment run smoother. 

I was stricter when he was an employee but even then if he worked say a Saturday on an extra job and there was enough money in it I would double his hourly rate or make it worth his while.

Like Vin said - doing what is best for the franchisee seems to also be what is best for the franchisor, in the long term.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #333 on: February 16, 2016, 11:14:10 pm »
ellipsis of three dots.

I had to look it up :-[

You learn something new every day - were you a typesetter in a previous incarnation?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:18 pm »
ellipsis of three dots.

I had to look it up :-[

You learn something new every day - were you a typesetter in a previous incarnation?

;D

No. I used to sell word processing equipment to solicitors and local government departments and so picked up  a modicum of their funny little ways.

rosskesava

« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:23 pm »
Why make this thread anyway, why would you want the world to know what you turnover?.
Noone else makes an ooo i earn this much thread!
The fact that by searching your company on company house comes up with figures so far out from what you state tells a story that you are  an attention seeker. Why post about yourself so much if its working so great for you??
A clever person would keep it to himself and let others wonder how much or how long.....

I've been wondering that.

It's like when someone new comes on to the forum and asks what they need to do to start a window cleaning business and members tell them how to start from scratch and where to buy everything, etc.

Someone down the pub before Christmas asked me about starting up his own window cleaning business and was very miffed when I asked him how much he was prepared to pay for that knowledge.

As a rule, most successful business's want to keep how they do it a secret as far as they can.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #336 on: February 16, 2016, 11:35:27 pm »
@Ross

I suppose the man down the pub is directly in your sphere of work and may be perceived as competition. On here it is unlikely that those we assist and are assisted by will be affected by the helpful advice given.

« Reply #337 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:07 pm »
Yeahbut nobut it's poop lol smokeupyerbum lol nobut yeahbut don't work does it can't possibly work 'cos nobody tells me how to do it lol yeahbut nobut upyerbum so there tossers. lol

;D ;D poor ol NWH really is a strange chap isn't he. Lol. Lol. Etc.

rosskesava

« Reply #338 on: February 16, 2016, 11:42:04 pm »
@Ross

I suppose the man down the pub is directly in your sphere of work and may be perceived as competition. On here it is unlikely that those we assist and are assisted by will be affected by the helpful advice given.

Mr Gold, you may be right there in some respects.

The bloke down the pub wanted my hard earned experience over the years for free. If he seriously wanted what I know, then he can pay for it.

It didn't have anything to do with competition as around here there seems to be a dire shortage of window cleaners. I turn down work every week because I can't take on any more.

As for advice given out for free on this forum for complete newcomers, as time goes on more and more may come here for all the free advice they can get and then in the years to come, some will moan about the competition having not realised some of them will have helped create that.

Promoting franchising as a business model to members who may then think, I'll try doing that for myself, is not a good business idea to say the least and it doesn't take much brains to work out why.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

ChumBucket

« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2016, 12:22:28 am »
Why make this thread anyway, why would you want the world to know what you turnover?.
Noone else makes an ooo i earn this much thread!
The fact that by searching your company on company house comes up with figures so far out from what you state tells a story that you are  an attention seeker. Why post about yourself so much if its working so great for you??
A clever person would keep it to himself and let others wonder how much or how long.....

I've been wondering that.

It's like when someone new comes on to the forum and asks what they need to do to start a window cleaning business and members tell them how to start from scratch and where to buy everything, etc.

Someone down the pub before Christmas asked me about starting up his own window cleaning business and was very miffed when I asked him how much he was prepared to pay for that knowledge.

As a rule, most successful business's want to keep how they do it a secret as far as they can.

No need to wonder guys, It's "The Vin Show" what other purpose can there possibly be to title the thread in that way?
 Attention seeker? Narcissist? Edited - Please refrain from swearing, this may lead to a ban