Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Re: £250,032
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2016, 10:29:52 pm »
Being a franchisee has its place. But you have to choose the right franchisor and be the right "type".

Mr "redundant" and keen "but nervous" fits the bill.

1. He is fearful of canvassing and this is the big one ... he is guaranteed customers.

2. He has never had to plan for the "feast" one month and "feathers" the next of self employment.
3. He has a lump sum of redundancy money and/or good credit.
4. He may not have the confidence to source his own kit.
5. He likes the "security" of someone "known" and "competent" to hold his hand.
6. He can ask for guidance on tax and accounts from the franchisor who will "know" someone to (hem hem) recommend.
7. If he's canny he'll will ask about and work out exit options that are mutually beneficial.

So he goes off to Vin - or whomsoever and hands over his dosh. He is reassured that he should buy a new (ish) van and he gets one on 2K down and credit.

Now I don't know what the deal is on any customers he gets himself - I believe an enlightened franchisor will have something in place where the can franchisee can keep what he gets himself as long as he is a franchisee.
It's a game of three halves!

ChumBucket

« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:34 pm »
What I love about this forum, is having been a gobby opinionated MODDED myself on here in the past and now watching someone else doing it.

It's like watching people getting ped 😆😆😆

Keep going ;)

I'm struggling with the "past tense"? ;D

NWH

« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2016, 11:49:37 pm »
Funny that Chum i was thinking the same.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2016, 12:01:13 am »
Being a franchisee has its place. But you have to choose the right franchisor and be the right "type".

Mr "redundant" and keen "but nervous" fits the bill.

1. He is fearful of canvassing and this is the big one ... he is guaranteed customers.

2. He has never had to plan for the "feast" one month and "feathers" the next of self employment.
3. He has a lump sum of redundancy money and/or good credit.
4. He may not have the confidence to source his own kit.
5. He likes the "security" of someone "known" and "competent" to hold his hand.
6. He can ask for guidance on tax and accounts from the franchisor who will "know" someone to (hem hem) recommend.
7. If he's canny he'll will ask about and work out exit options that are mutually beneficial.

So he goes off to Vin - or whomsoever and hands over his dosh. He is reassured that he should buy a new (ish) van and he gets one on 2K down and credit.

Now I don't know what the deal is on any customers he gets himself - I believe an enlightened franchisor will have something in place where the can franchisee can keep what he gets himself as long as he is a franchisee.

Point 6 is off the mark:  I use an accountant found for me by my first franchisee.  He did me a good deed indeed.

The van thing: Not really.  I strongly recommend the guys to get a used van.  The chaps only do about 5,000 miles a year so the spec of used and up to five years old is what I'd prefer them to get.  They can keep the van automatically up to ten years old then it's up to me to approve further one year extensions which I'll do as long as the van still looks smart.  I would consider it VERY bad advice to tell them to lease a van.  I wouldn't do it myself; why would I suggest it to them?  If anyone does need a leased van I'm going to be working like mad to sort out a deal for them as I have nothing arranged bar a provisional "yes" from a finance company.

And both of those (and the implication of ulterior motives behind them perhaps?) lead to another point.  We don't make money from anything at all bar royalties.  We don't make money from the franchise fee (and I'm happy to show franchisees the invoices that prove it) and we don't take a cut from anything else at all.  If we source, say, preprinted envelopes or a new pump, we invoice the franchisee what we pay for them, not a penny more.  No "Commissions", "management fees" or kickbacks.  Keeps us focussed on royalties.  And that means we're focussed on franchisee turnover.

As I never tire of saying, this is above my desk and I read it pretty much every day or two:

Though it's a bit less blurred than it appears...
Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2016, 12:03:47 am »
By the way Granville, may I just thank you for "whomsoever"?  As a grammar Nazi, I salute you.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2016, 12:09:36 am »
I think if you want all the answers it's more like £1500 a pop!

With a decent amount of time spent searching this forum, I suspect that every detail is on here.  However, the £1,500 to Ian Lancaster is money well spent even if you only need (and you do) the franchise agreement - that'd be (conservatively) £8,000 ish from a solicitor.

Vin

NWH

« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2016, 12:21:01 am »
Vin you cannot stop someone from taking the work from you they are buying good will this is why legally it's very very difficult to distinguish the 2 facts stealing it or the customer preferring to use them instead of you,even if they talk the customer into going with them and telling you they don't want to use you anymore there is nothing you can do about it. This is why I wanted to know the fact about who's work it is,if it's yours it's yours to sell yes but it's only good will your selling not a tangiable product there's nothing pysically there to sell its a verbal agreement with the customer,you have a list of work-jobs we all do and we like to call them ours but tomorrow they might belong to the window cleaner down the road. You do have something but at anytime the customer can decide to have anyone they like to clean there Windows even if they are signed up with some sort of agreement they would find away of getting out of it like the money is no longer there for a window cleaner.

« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2016, 12:28:58 am »
The green eyed monsters on here are hilarious!

Ps LOL  ;D

Rich Wilts

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2016, 12:30:31 am »
What I love about this forum, is having been a gobby opinionated MODDED myself on here in the past and now watching someone else doing it.

It's like watching people getting ped 😆😆😆

Keep going ;)

I'm struggling with the "past tense"? ;D

Struggling with 'past tense' isn't the only thing though is it - you struggle to see your dick unless you're stood in front of the mirror.
 ;D ;D

Rich Wilts

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2016, 12:31:49 am »

We all know what thinking has done for you in the past, so that remark can be happily discarded ;)

NWH

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:24 am »
Funny how you still remember me isn't it that's my aim in life for idiots like you to remember me,why would I be jealous the bloke has 250ks worth of work and he's still ending up with less than me at the end of the year lol lol rock on,time for bed I think not just for me either 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼

Rich Wilts

« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2016, 12:41:24 am »
Remember you? You're like a bad rash. Always looking for a fight on here. Always got something to say. Always right. Cant let it go. You've been having a paddy on this thread alone continually since four o'clock yesterday afternoon. Thats nearly 9 hours. And you call me the idiot. MODDED

Who said anything about you being jealous anyway? Keep going - I love watching you guys on the sauce at night.

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2016, 12:44:33 am »
Remember you? You're like a bad rash. Always looking for a fight on here. Always got something to say. Always right. Cant let it go. You've been having a paddy on this thread alone continually since four o'clock yesterday afternoon. Thats nearly 9 hours. And you call me the idiot. Tw@t.

Who said anything about you being jealous anyway? Keep going - I love watching you guys on the sauce at night.

LOL

Tom-01

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2016, 01:02:58 am »
Vin, what would happen if a franchisee decided not to pay you royalties anymore and took all the customers himself?

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2016, 02:53:44 am »
Since joining this forum, this has been my favourite post. That is all. As you were....
Welcome to the forum TRH.

Just wait until I start a thread. Popcorn and a beer are recommended.

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:01 am »
Hi Vin.

I have read about your accomplishment and would like to say that quite frankly, I find your self-promotion appalling. I mean seriously? A successful business man, proud of his hard work and achievements in making rapid growth in a sector where there are so many franchise lawyers, £600 a day window cleaners who could do exactly as you have done if they could be bothered and who do not pocket a bit of extra cash when asked to do a conservatory roof? You should be ashamed of yourself.

No one is interested in or jealous of your thread, that's why it's generated only 1400 views and 9 pages of comments.

Now go and sit on the naughty step, think about what you've done and let these experts who are locked to a single revenue stream income who turnover nearer £25k per year than £250k show you how it's done. Tut, tut.

I'm actually a little disappointed not to have been mentioned in the same bracket as this boasting, self-promoter. Does anyone dare me to start a thread about the week I've just had?  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:34 am »
Funny how you still remember me isn't it that's my aim in life for idiots like you to remember me,why would I be jealous the bloke has 250ks worth of work and he's still ending up with less than me at the end of the year lol lol rock on,time for bed I think not just for me either 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼

Maybe because he's planning for the day when his body is no longer up to the physical graft?  Even if he doesn't want an income from it when he's older, he will still have a very sellable asset for a fat lump sum - rather more than anyone is likely to get for selling their one-man round.  Also, that £250k turnover can become £500k or more if he wishes.
If I hadn't made bad financial errors earlier in my life (I left her eventually) or become too ill too work at one point, I would likely be debt-free and considering this sort of business myself.  However, those past errors mean that I muddle along as a sole trader just doing my best.  It's not such a bad life, but I'll probably be screwed when I'm older.

8weekly

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:21 am »

We all know what thinking has done for you in the past, so that remark can be happily discarded ;)
Spat my coffee! Funny thing is though, I'll bet NWH is a lovely bloke in the flesh and not stupid at all. Then again.....

8weekly

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2016, 07:42:09 am »
I will ask my brother in law Vin do want his name he's a barrister

I've asked nicely twice now.  I will ask you a final time, in what way was "he is avoiding TAX and VAT" "not a accusation against anyone"?

Vin
Actually, tax avoidance is perfectly legal. Tax evasion is not.  Because I'm in the process of going VAT registered it is slightly irksome that  a competitor (I know you're not a competitor) could potentially have a turnover many times mine but not have to pay VAT.

I did seriously consider the Ian Lancaster package but for me it was too long term and the number of customers needed was huge.  Four vans and 4 employees could easily turnover that which would see a £100,000 profit.

Still, I think it's a fantastic achievement to get to that level. I am a little way off that, but I wasn't serious about things until 2 years ago. And I've benefitted from your posts in the past and took comfort at times from the fact that my thoughts on the best way forward are broadly similar to yours.

Ian101

« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:54 am »

Maybe because he's planning for the day when his body is no longer up to the physical graft?  Even if he doesn't want an income from it when he's older, he will still have a very sellable asset for a fat lump sum - rather more than anyone is likely to get for selling their one-man round.  Also, that £250k turnover can become £500k or more if he wishes.
If I hadn't made bad financial errors earlier in my life (I left her eventually) or become too ill too work at one point, I would likely be debt-free and considering this sort of business myself.  However, those past errors mean that I muddle along as a sole trader just doing my best.  It's not such a bad life, but I'll probably be screwed when I'm older.
[/quote]

wow ... that's very weirdly very similar to my story .. ex wife financial mess  ... illness effecting this job for a good 2 to 3 years started  window cleaning2010 - depressed but not realised I was from about 2012 to early last year .. and yes had the just muddling along / ticking over situation. Decided I needed some business advice so sought out what are in my opinion the top 2 operators on this forum ( Smudger also on the list but wanted to talk to 2 directly opposite poles employing v franchising)

early 2015 realised I wanted / needed to grow this thing or jack in  so spoke to Mr Lee Pryor about growing business thru employees Lee is a brilliant operator and I am still very grateful for the 90 minutes we spoke on the phone when I say we spoke it was actually Lee who spoke for about 99% of the conversation  :) I simply listened and took it all in .. the man really is a force of nature when he gets going and one day he will be a millionaire no doubt

then I hassled Vin via email and several phone conversations .... again another brilliant operator who will also be a millionaire thru window cleaning though not sure that's his actual goal ? Vin was incredibly generous with his time and advice and information he happily shared ... like Lee another top guy.

so with this new found information gained early in March last year I went away and did ...... nothing ................... as I realised my head still wasn't in the right place so didn't want to start something I wouldn't finish ...... fast forward to late last year and now feeling a lot better and a lot more focused and motivated I made the decision to grow thru franchising as being 47 and wanting to move abroad for a few months a year from 55 onwards franchising will give me this with minimal input from me.

Next step is more customers so I can sell a franchise off and still be able to live as currently if I was to sell a franchise now I wouldn't have enough left over to pay my bills every month.

Also employed the services of an accountant from this financial tax year as selling a franchise with fAg packet figures just wont fly ... ordered a new much larger van so can increase my daily turnover (combo 400 litre tank to Toyota Proace with 800 litres) about to start a new customer drive (March to September) and will hopefully at the end of this year have enough customers to be able to sell my first franchise. Putting a whole host of other things in place to make my business better and more attractive and more profitable.

If I cant create a franchise immediately it wont be a problem to have those extra customers.

Im just glad in the dark place I was in at the time  I spotted the end of the tunnel and yes the black dog may come calling again but this time I be ready for him  8)

plus for some light relief I can call into here.

Vin and Lee .... thankyou  :)