Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

Van / main dealer problem
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:10:05 pm »
I bought a 10 month old van from a main dealer. I noticed a few weeks later a tiny bit of paint flake from one of the rear doors - right in the corner. Then last week I noticed a paint imperfection on one of the side panels, basically an accumulation of paint in an indented panel corner. Basically like too much paint was used. Then today I pushed the left rear door against the right door to allow a car along a drive. When I opened the door I saw that a piece of paint around the size of an old sixpence had come off, but beneath the paint was what looked like filler rather than metalwork.

I'm awaiting a callback from the dealer but I just wondered what people's thoughts were? It struck me that a nearly new van from a main dealer ought not to have been repaired in this way if indeed that is what has happened.

NWH

Re: Van / main dealer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
I had it years ago m8 my other half owned a spray shop and he said it had been it a bang at some point.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:25 pm »
I bought a 10 month old van from a main dealer. I noticed a few weeks later a tiny bit of paint flake from one of the rear doors - right in the corner. Then last week I noticed a paint imperfection on one of the side panels, basically an accumulation of paint in an indented panel corner. Basically like too much paint was used. Then today I pushed the left rear door against the right door to allow a car along a drive. When I opened the door I saw that a piece of paint around the size of an old sixpence had come off, but beneath the paint was what looked like filler rather than metalwork.

I'm awaiting a callback from the dealer but I just wondered what people's thoughts were? It struck me that a nearly new van from a main dealer ought not to have been repaired in this way if indeed that is what has happened.

I worked for one many moons ago and they can be just as dodgey as the backstreet cut & shut merchants.

deeege

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:56:14 pm »
I'm going to guess its a new shape transit custom?

Was talking to my plumber last week and he had this exact same problem. He eventually  got them to admit it's a fault and rectify it. Can't remember how but he said it was a year long battle.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:26 pm »
They can be but some garages use different methods and don't use an oven to bake on the paint if it's not baked on it can peel easily,someone might have leased it dinged it got it done by a backstreet garage and took it back to the dealer. These days they can go round the vehicle and test the paint to see if it's been painted or re painted due to an accident so they can keep your deposit.

andyM

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:59:15 pm »
Should still be covered under the manufacturers warranty I would imagine?
One of the Plebs

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

Not if its found to be a dodgy paint repair job as after all the van is not new.
Sounds more like to me if nothing shows after doing a check if the van has been in a prang or not its had a bodgers paint job.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »
Exactly I had the same thing it was due to a dodgy repair the paint came off it clumps and in places it was soft like not quiet dried paint on timber. I jet washed the van accidentally caught the nozzle on the side of the van and it took off a lump of white paint.

Ian101

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 06:14:16 pm »
you bought a used vehicle ... not a new vehicle ... you didn't spot the fault when u collected it ... not saying this is the right attitude or opinion but ex motor trade 26 years or so ..... this is the stance they may take

andyM

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »

Not if its found to be a dodgy paint repair job as after all the van is not new.
Sounds more like to me if nothing shows after doing a check if the van has been in a prang or not its had a bodgers paint job.

Yeah I wrote that after reading Deege's post and assuming the van hasn't been repaired/painted since leaving the factory from new.
One of the Plebs

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 06:26:38 pm »
you bought a used vehicle ... not a new vehicle ... you didn't spot the fault when u collected it ... not saying this is the right attitude or opinion but ex motor trade 26 years or so ..... this is the stance they may take

26 years in the motor trade  ::)roll I bet you have some sleepless night still ;D

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »
I'm going to guess its a new shape transit custom?

Was talking to my plumber last week and he had this exact same problem. He eventually  got them to admit it's a fault and rectify it. Can't remember how but he said it was a year long battle.
It is a new shape Custom, but I reckon it's filler under the paint.

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:26 pm »
I had it years ago m8 my other half owned a spray shop and he said it had been it a bang at some point.

:o :o shocked!

NWH

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:57 pm »
Well if you can see filler there's your answer you should be seeing silver.

NWH

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 06:34:39 pm »
My other halfs uncle l meant lol

NWH

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 06:34:58 pm »
Well if you can see filler there's your answer you should be seeing silver.

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 06:36:47 pm »
My other halfs uncle l meant lol

Too late now - your secret's out. Nothing to be ashamed of.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 06:38:21 pm »
Lol does it mean your gay if you do that then lol I wish I new that years ago Dave you could have told me. 🚽🚽

Ian101

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 06:43:04 pm »

26 years in the motor trade  ::)roll I bet you have some sleepless night still ;D

;D ;D doing this 6 years now and only last few years have I shook off the mental damage suffered to long term exposure to bull poo and pressure and poop1y customers that I endured  8)

deeege

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »

:o :o shocked!

;D ;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."