Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KevinB

preparing new scrim
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:48 am »
I use Unger prewashed scrim as its my local wholesalers best deal - but - I have had to wash and wash my latest new ones before I can use them. Any tips from the trade on making new scrim absorbant and soft enough to use asap. thanks

combat1

Re: preparing new scrim
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:48:26 am »
Scrim! Get yourself onto microfibre.
Far better.

chris turner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:59 am »
I use Unger prewashed scrim as its my local wholesalers best deal - but - I have had to wash and wash my latest new ones before I can use them. Any tips from the trade on making new scrim absorbant and soft enough to use asap. thanks

Wash them on the hottest wash possible or boil them..

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:28:30 am »
Scrim! Get yourself onto microfibre.
Far better.

+1 and you can also mod your tools to eliminate as much detailing as you can or dare I say it try a liquidator and/or new wagtail.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »
I used to boi them at one point.  I stopped that though. Then I just lay them in a spare bucket for several days until the dye came out and they softened.  Seemed to work OK.
Large microfibres are much better though IMO.  I prefer the smooth ones but the stippled ones seem to work.  I avoid the rough ones as they seem more awkward.

ascjim

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:23:33 pm »
90 degree wash, job done.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:03:59 pm »
We used to boil them and add a tiny tiny amount of bleach which makes them go white,proper scrim has linseed oil in them and boiling them gets some of it out which breaks them in quicker

Matt.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:46 pm »
The days of having to buy brand new scrims and boiling them ........ It's like trying to clean up with a piece of cardboard

I get a bag of blue microfibres from screw fix/ tool station can't remember which one, 50 for £20, and use the unger ones for detailing

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
90 degree hot wash.

despite what some say on here.scrim is still king when detailing/buffing little openers on a cold,damp day.

i do use microfibres as well but they are better used in the warmer/drier months IMO.
price higher/work harder!