This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Afterglow Window Cleaners

Xtreme Pole driving me nuts
« on: January 17, 2016, 11:14:10 am »
Hi Guys,

The locking nuts on my Gardiners Xtreme pole keep coming undone causing the pole to spin, it is the metal banded version (three sections bought in Nov 15)

I tighten the nuts up enough to give a good clamp, but they always seem to work themselves loose again. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers, Gary

Clever Forum Name

Re: Xtreme Pole driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
Nope can't say I have.

I don't think Alex would recommend the advice below but maybe try this....

I use a drop of locktite or thread lock. Only a drop mind as will make it hard to adjust.

It stopped one floppy clamp for me.

jk999

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:50:03 am »
I wouldn't glue it not if was only bought in November phone gardiners up

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:52:27 am »
Nope can't say I have.

I don't think Alex would recommend the advice below but maybe try this....

I use a drop of locktite or thread lock. Only a drop mind as will make it hard to adjust.

It stopped one floppy clamp for me.

Yes done that as well - thread lock is better than super glue or replace the nut with a nyloc one
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:22:23 pm »
we have done the same two small drops of lock tight works great and can easily be tighten again if needed

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 12:45:27 pm »
Top clamp does it on mine and falls off sometimes. I don't think the thread quite reaches the nylock bit. I'm going to put some ptfe tape on the thread in a mo.

the king

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:40:50 pm »
my slx clamps used to come undone in fact some still do but now its 12 months old its not half as bad

the king

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 03:49:02 pm »
the funny thing is as well is i brought the upgrade kit for my super max and there so stiff i have to adjust them with pliers lol ;D

dd

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 04:48:25 pm »
Email Alex and he should send you some newer bolts and barrel nuts for the clamps. I had a similar problem on my slx 25 with the clamps regularly needing adjusting.

Bungle

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »
the funny thing is as well is i brought the upgrade kit for my super max and there so stiff i have to adjust them with pliers lol ;D

Same here.
We look at them, they look through them.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 09:03:53 pm »
Hi Guys,

The locking nuts on my Gardiners Xtreme pole keep coming undone causing the pole to spin, it is the metal banded version (three sections bought in Nov 15)

I tighten the nuts up enough to give a good clamp, but they always seem to work themselves loose again. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers, Gary

Sounds like you need some replacement locking nuts - give us a call on 01726 66400 and our Customer Service team will get these replacement nuts sorted for you.

Positivity

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
I posted this last week in response to someone with a similar problem:

"the issue I'm  having with my 7 month old slx is,after regular cleaning and looking after it,I'm finding I'm regularly  tightening the bolts to stop it rotating,this is happening on all sections,my concern is,over the next few or several months,the bolts will not be able to be tightened anymore,resulting in constant spinning,making the pole  not useable,I'm not expecting the pole to last forever it I am concerned how much I have had to tighten bolts."

The best way I have found to cure this is:
Take note of the part of the bolt that goes through the threaded barrel in the clamp lever.
Take it out.
Wrap some PTFE around the bolt on the area that goes through the barrel (making sure you wind the tape the "right" way so it doesn't bunch up when you screw it back in.
It can take a couple of goes to get just the right amount of PTFE tape on, but once done it stays locked and tight for months.
P.