This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike #1

Re: Snow & Wind Chill -5
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:34 am »
Yesterday had my first freeze up it was + 2 but froze up some french doors and conny so sacked off and went to another job by the time i had had finished two large windows and froze up then within about 40 mins it was +5 .

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 07:52:02 am »
it was icy here too this morning.i was all ready to go out and van wouldnt start!i think its the starter motor(again!i only had a new one fitted last year)i just couldnt get it to start even with whacking it with a hammer.

im taking it to the garage in the morning.my dad will tow it to bump start it.they wont get it fixed til monday though

so im going to work in my car on monday (120 L in barrels and backpack,SLX 22,trad gear) ;D

Daz did you hit the starter motor or the bodywork?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

DaveG

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 08:17:10 am »
 ;D
You can't polish a turd

8weekly

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:05 am »
Lovely day here too but Im going nowhere as there was a light dusting of sleety snow last night that has turned into
sheet ice, I nearly lost my van in similar conditions a few years back so would rather lose a days earnings than risk losing a
lot more.
The van decided to slide off on its own with handbrake fully on down a slight hill dragging my hose and me behind it, even though it was a narrow street it missed every parked car and came to a stop on a main road at the bottom of the hill which luckily for me was one of the very few times when it was traffic free.
Couldn't believe my luck.

another ignorant idiot driving around on "summer tyres" putting others at risk, if you equip your vehicle correctly with winter tyres for the conditions then the van would not have slide down the hill.

it was only luck that you did not seriously injure someone? you are a complete moron

Get a grip you silly prat it wouldn't have mattered what tyres I was using and I guarantee there wasn't a single vehicle
in the street or in the area that had changed their tyres over to winter, muppet. ::)roll
Not often I agree with Sean.  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
We've been getting away with it quite lightly down in the south-east corner.  A delayed start WFP-wise, but I picked up a load of single storey trad work a while ago so did that for a whie until things warmed a little (relatively speaking).  I need a small point ladder to reach much of it but, due to location and access issues, it's probably better that way than WFP.  I inherited them and they are not well priced, but the compact nature of the jobs make them a reasonable earner overall.

Matt.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:22 am »
No freezing windows here in Liverpool, but managed to snap me goose neck on me extreme, don't get me wrong it was a clod start, been out since 4, off to Manchester soon tho for some 038 tap water to do a job up there

Smurf

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:29:11 am »

Not too bad down here!! Managed to do 4 hours of gutter vacing  ;D top temp was 2c

I went out at 1pm yesterday deliberately so guttering had a chance to thaw out but still some of the crud in the gutters where still frozen. Likewise I will be doing the same today as we all know guttervacs don’t work that well when gutters are frozen solid. ;D

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 09:41:57 am »
I know exactly what you mean smurf, a frozen gutter on a bungalow with a gutter vac = 2 hour job!!!!

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 09:49:35 am »
it was icy here too this morning.i was all ready to go out and van wouldnt start!i think its the starter motor(again!i only had a new one fitted last year)i just couldnt get it to start even with whacking it with a hammer.

im taking it to the garage in the morning.my dad will tow it to bump start it.they wont get it fixed til monday though

so im going to work in my car on monday (120 L in barrels and backpack,SLX 22,trad gear) ;D

Daz did you hit the starter motor or the bodywork?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

;D ;D ;D

starter motor.still no joy.my dads coming round soon in his van to tow me so i can bump start it to the garage.
price higher/work harder!

Smurf

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 09:59:14 am »
I know exactly what you mean smurf, a frozen gutter on a bungalow with a gutter vac = 2 hour job!!!!

I've also been known on frozen guttering to defrost them first with hot water using an onboard lpg chepo hot water heater conected to an outside tap if need be so to be able to use a guttervac. All adds extra time and hassle to the job though when ladders are not an option to clear them by hand.

The hot water trick for frozen gutters also comes in handy for hand jobs too as helps break the bond between the crud/sods and inside of the gutter.  ;)

Still I have wised up now as would rather go out when the temp has risen enough so I don't have to go through all that palaver

Mike #1

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 10:25:17 am »
Lovely day here too but Im going nowhere as there was a light dusting of sleety snow last night that has turned into
sheet ice, I nearly lost my van in similar conditions a few years back so would rather lose a days earnings than risk losing a
lot more.
The van decided to slide off on its own with handbrake fully on down a slight hill dragging my hose and me behind it, even though it was a narrow street it missed every parked car and came to a stop on a main road at the bottom of the hill which luckily for me was one of the very few times when it was traffic free.

another ignorant idiot driving around on "summer tyres" putting others at risk, if you equip your vehicle correctly with winter tyres for the conditions then the van would not have slide down the hill.

it was only luck that you did not seriously injure someone? you are a complete moron

Moron for not putting winter tyres on NO , Dingbat for parking a fully loaded van on a hill and expecting it to stay their for 20 mins or more  100% DINGBAT  ;D ;D :P

Smurf

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
lot more.

Moron for not putting winter tyres on NO , Dingbat for parking a fully loaded van on a hill and expecting it to stay their for 20 mins or more  100% DINGBAT  ;D ;D :P

Thats a bit harsh as we all make mistakes.
Mind you it must have been funny to see it happen.  ;D

SeanK

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:58 am »
lot more.

Now that I can agree with especially with an 650lt upright tank in the back, it was back when I would have done anything
before missing a clean, you live and learn. ;D

Smurf

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 10:43:57 am »
Talking about dingbats this vid made me chuckle  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvB3h85xSVw

Smurf

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 10:45:36 am »

SeanK

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 10:49:15 am »
lot more.

I would say so, almost as bad as when my SLX25 froze up in the extended position, me foaming at the mouth, cursing and bouncing about  like a demented fool.
Now what I wouldn't have gave for a hot water system then. ;D

Smurf

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 10:52:28 am »
lot more.

I would say so, almost as bad as when my SLX25 froze up in the extended position, me foaming at the mouth, cursing and bouncing about  like a demented fool.
Now what I wouldn't have gave for a hot water system then. ;D

We all live and learn but some the hard way ;D

andyM

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 12:28:33 pm »
lot more.

Now what I wouldn't have gave for a hot water system then.
;D

I've never had a Hot water system.
But if I have to work in below freezing temps I try and take a flask with me in the van with hot water.
It has got me out of the poop on one or two occasions in the past.
One of the Plebs

Smurf

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 07:21:52 pm »
Yep sods law the gutters where still frozen at midday today so put the water heater on the highest setting and started the plastics washdown first. By the time I got vacuuming out the gutters that were packed solid most of them had thawed out nicely. Thank goodness for that or I would have been prating about for ages.

LPG chepo hot water heater works well for me not just for cleaning glass   :D

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 11:17:24 pm »
minus 6 at 0800 got out at 1045 for 90 mins when it dropped to minus 2 been snowing last 5 hours so not looking good for monday