Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

everyones going WFP
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:23 am »
is trad on ladders dying out finally?a few guys ive known for years are finally making the switch (one after 25 years on the ladders,the other 10 years).another few guys are now using WFP on domestics and not just commercial after years of saying "our customers wont like it". ;D
price higher/work harder!

Ian101

Re: everyones going WFP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:14 am »
still a few on ladders near me or they do a mix but wfp probably now the default setting for any newbie.

ex customer got made redundant late last year now set up as a window cleaner straight to wfp.

can see a time when all will be wfp as todays customers children who watch when we clean with wfp are tomorrows customers and wont even know what a mop and squeegee is - of course shop fronts and insides will always be mainly trad.

same thing possibly happened when we went from the 2 rag method to the mop and squeegee ... no one uses the 2 rag method now bar the odd 80 year old still working

chris turner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:37:36 am »
There's an oldish guy I see now and again, cleans half a cul de sac whilst I do the other half.
He's always done his half with ladders, last time I saw him though he turned up in his Peugeot 106, massive pole sticking through the front passenger window, backseats down with a trolley system and loads of barrels in the back.
He drives 40 miles and back each day to buy his pure from a supplier as he doesn't know how to make his own. I tried to explain it all to him but got the feeling he couldn't really be bothered to setup a decent system.
Also was shocked how quick he done his half of the cul de sac, 4 × 4 bed houses in about 20 mins!
He didn't touch the frames though, just a quick 1 pass of the glass and quick spray.
Not sure how he gets away with it.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:08:15 am »
The few I see on ladders are semi retired or close to, chatted to a guy once who said he was happy with the small round he still had and only planned to do a couple more years and so could not be bothered with all the hassle of changing.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:46:08 am »
Many trad guys do change over to wfp eventually for one reason or another which is mainly due to health reasons.
Then they all say it's the best move they have ever made and should have changed over years ago..

Still you will always get some trad that are really anti wfp and would never change over no matter what. I suppose this is to do mainly with how much it costs to set up and nothing to do with which method works best for different types of buildings.

In this day and age I don't think you can call yourself a proper window cleaner if you can't do both trad & wfp methods myself as there will always be jobs that are best suited to using one or the other.

SeanK

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:57:35 am »
Have to agree it does attract a lot of newbies who to be honest don't normally last, my area is sort of different
as the majority of window cleaning is done by employers of  least 10 or more who have no interest in changing over and to be
honest if I was in their shoes I wouldn't either unless forced.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:58:18 pm »
Maybe they just smelt the coffee

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
I'm going back to trad. Hopefully start a trend.

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »
Is that when gardiners start to produce xtream trad gear then?
 If so I think you will be waiting a wee while Damo   ;D

johnny bravo

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
ive been doing a customer for about a year wfp,    shes always at work.
this week she came out and asked me to dry them,    i tried to educate her but she wouldnt have it.    i bladed the bottoms dry,     get a  new customer near her   shes gone.   or ill let her look out for a trad guy.    the windows all dry off spot free.   ive checked  them

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »
ive been doing a customer for about a year wfp,    shes always at work.
this week she came out and asked me to dry them,    i tried to educate her but she wouldnt have it.    i bladed the bottoms dry,     get a  new customer near her   shes gone.   or ill let her look out for a trad guy.    the windows all dry off spot free.   ive checked  them

We cleaned a working couple's windows for 6 years before she happened to be in the last time we cleaned. Not happy when we told her we always left them wet and they have always dried perfectly.
 "You have always been happy with the quality of the clean, haven't you?"
"Yes, but I thought you dried them off".
"We have done them this way since we first started."
"Well I'm not happy with the way you do them."

We got dumped a few weeks later for a trad cleaner. The reason? poor workmanship and being late. Customer was on a 6 week rota and the trad cleaner had done them twice since we were there last time. (The trad cleaner also walks on their roof tiles to clean the bathroom and toilet window.)

What amazed me was that she had never been in when we called, even although her day off is a week day. I even watered her pot plants that were wilting during one hot, dry summer when they were away.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:25:31 pm »
Saw a unicorn this morning oh I mean a trad WC,he looked frozen,when he saw the steam coming from my brush he nearly fell off his ladder 😡😡

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:35 pm »
Saw a unicorn this morning oh I mean a trad WC,he looked frozen,when he saw the steam coming from my brush he nearly fell off his ladder

Indeed... you can't beat wfp warm water for sure as it looks like steam in cold weather. Not only that it keeps me hands nice and warm too. Long gone are the days of plunging me hands into freezing cold buckets of water... Sod that ;D

dave f

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »
the more wfp guys the less work they will be  due to the speed the newbies  will see how quick it is the more work they will look for hence price wars or under cutting has wok gets harder to find in the long run imo

NWH

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »
The odd one I know in the areas I work just will not change one of em said I will give you my diary of work before I go down that way of working,5 years on he's still getting cold 4-5 months of the year. You can pysically see it in his hands too they look like they've been dipped in coal lo,I drive off laughing most times it wouldn't matter what you said they won't ditch the ladders I don't even bother talking WFP to em anymore it's pointless.

dave f

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 09:38:57 pm »
less that change the better imo to many wanna be at wfp not doing the job properly and giving it a bad name I have had a few recommendations but when they saw I am wfp they gave me the knock back because the last windy changed to wfp  and made a balls of it so they wanted it done the old way

capn sparkle

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »
I'm going back to trad. Hopefully start a trend.

I'm gonna  move to Biggleswade - apparently there's loads of WFP work available there  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 09:58:01 pm »
less that change the better imo to many wanna be at wfp not doing the job properly and giving it a bad name I have had a few recommendations but when they saw I am wfp they gave me the knock back because the last windy changed to wfp  and made a balls of it so they wanted it done the old way

Just tell em" ladders are banned now so do you want them doing properly or not?  ;D

Tom-01

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »
the more wfp guys the less work they will be  due to the speed the newbies  will see how quick it is the more work they will look for hence price wars or under cutting has wok gets harder to find in the long run imo

Add to that all these franchisors building multiple business for their franchisees!  ;)

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 07:02:28 am »

yeah it happens from time to time but i simply say "dont pay me if your not happy after windows have dried".never had a problem after that. :)
price higher/work harder!