This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Walter Mitty

Re: Are window cleaning franchises too cheap ??
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2016, 09:16:42 am »
Great threat well done Ian 101 for opening up a decent debate, I think if you look at the posts it's easy to see the differences in people's approach not only to work but to fellow human beings...

I have respect for Ian and vin and the way they tackle their biz, I took a different route to employ but still see the pro's in their system.

It's seems some just like to put others down, spouting that their work is far superior to everyone else's - well a window is a window, and at least vin wasn't given his round from his old man.

Franchises for both parties works well - as does employing, it's typical of some ( a British disease ) to envy those to wish to be a suscess, in the states these guys would be celebrated for creating work and employment

Darran

Hypocrite springs to mind here.... Solar Steve?? ::)roll
Walter Mitty springs to mind.  ;D

Some of my customers first started getting a bit funny about it when I turned up in a gold plated Rolls Royce to clean their windows.  No pleasing some people :)

SeanK

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:02 am »
The thing is it obviously works for these guys but its a business model that wouldn't get off the ground in most areas,
for a start most of us would find it hard enough building a round again for ourselves never mind having to build one for 4 or
5 franchisees and with the cream of the crop money wise.
Why is it always the areas where there's a fortune to be made in window cleaning that never seem to have enough window cleaners in my area 80% of the people who want and can afford a window cleaner have one and there are plenty of newbies fighting for that other 20%, you cant even win work with quality anymore as changing times mean that everybody has upped their game.

SeanK

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:22 am »
Great threat well done Ian 101 for opening up a decent debate, I think if you look at the posts it's easy to see the differences in people's approach not only to work but to fellow human beings...

I have respect for Ian and vin and the way they tackle their biz, I took a different route to employ but still see the pro's in their system.

It's seems some just like to put others down, spouting that their work is far superior to everyone else's - well a window is a window, and at least vin wasn't given his round from his old man.

Franchises for both parties works well - as does employing, it's typical of some ( a British disease ) to envy those to wish to be a suscess, in the states these guys would be celebrated for creating work and employment

Darran

Hypocrite springs to mind here.... Solar Steve?? ::)roll
Walter Mitty springs to mind.  ;D

Some of my customers first started getting a bit funny about it when I turned up in a gold plated Rolls Royce to clean their windows.  No pleasing some people :)

When you read what some on here are paying in expenses that doesn't sound far out, do what I do put a sticker/wrap of somebody in rags with a begging bowl on each side it throws them of the scent and hides the shine of the gold, mines solid
gold by the way. ;D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2016, 09:40:18 am »
The thing is it obviously works for these guys but its a business model that wouldn't get off the ground in most areas,
for a start most of us would find it hard enough building a round again for ourselves never mind having to build one for 4 or
Why is it always the areas where there's a fortune to be made in window cleaning that never seem to have enough window cleaners in my area 80% of the people who want and can afford a window cleaner have one and there are plenty of newbies fighting for that other 20%, you cant even win work with quality anymore as changing times mean that everybody has upped their game.

Sean, I don't think it's coincidence.  If there's a shortage of cleaners, prices can be much higher.  I also suspect that (in general) the further south you go the fewer people want to do a job that has all the perceived social status of a dung beetle, as they have other options.  That means a shortage of cleaners.  (I should point out that I'm from Sheffield so it's not an anti-North thing; I know life's tougher.)  That said, there are still people around here charging £3.50 a clean.

Some of the prices quoted on here scare me, frankly.  Some of the Scottish guys are fighting in a world where customers expect to pay slave wages to their cleaners.  It must be heartbreaking to want to price high and give good quality when a "high" price is six or seven quid.

Vin

sunshine windows

« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2016, 10:35:20 am »
In answer to the quality issue with new franchisees, I buddy mine up for 2 months, covering the new franchisees round and mine for that period of time.

This allows most customers who tend to be home the opportunity to meet the franchisee, so I can introduce them and explain the handover (I will have covered the work previously so no new cleans). Most of our work is monthly or 2 monthly.

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

johnwillan

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2016, 11:40:42 am »
Isthis how it works?? 
I build up 400 x £10 over a 4 month period  whist working the round untill the 400 customer target is hit, i then advertise for a franchisee to join at 8k for which with the 8k ill need to buy a van and system for them too use so no change there which is fair enough?  Or maybe they have there own van? They would supply the van
Franchisee then works and out of the 4k he cleans a month i get 1k in royalties. £800 (20%)
In a year i could have 3 franchisee's working cleaning 12k in total and ill recieve 3k a month in royalties for doing nothing at all.
Not exactly nothing at all, you'd need to ensure they have your full support, maintaining work levels, branding & marketing on their behalf, providing solutions to customer issues, motivation when required, repairing broken kit etc, etc. The level of support is entirely up to you but the value provided should result in a great working relationship.
In 4 years i could have 12 franchisee's cleaning 48k a month with £12k royalties to me a month.
in 10 years i could have 30 franchisee's cleaning 120k a month with 30k in royalties to me a month.
If this is the basics then what a fantastic way to make a living.
Is there any window cleaning franchise companies making that sort of profit out there??  Not that I'm aware of but I'm sure there's a few on the way
If so and its that easy then what a brilliant way to build and run a business. It can be  a very good business model for all concerned but it's not entirely easy and not without issues

NWH

« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:52 pm »
Lol lots of bum kissing going on with the is thread,I would love to see the quality of the work done by a complete newbie that knows not of any pitfalls when cleaning with a pole I used to think it was scrub and run until I did some inside and out jobs years ago. Your not a proper windy until you've mastered the blade before even thinking of getting the pole out people want insides doing on a lot of work I do,you say you replace work this seems to get mentioned quiet a lot the fact that you replace work,why I very rarely lose work unless it's someone moving house and even then more often than not the new owners take you there's normally a list left of all people that do work on the house. If you were to give the franchisee a grands worth of work to do a week it's unrealistic to think they'd get through it and clean it to a top standard even half desent if they've never cleaned Windows,I know it's not rocket science but even learning to know where your going on a round so that your fully up to speed takes time,months in some cases years if your right out in the sticks when even satnav won't help you. I would go as far as to say that sending a complete beginner to a paying customers house is a p take TBH.

NWH

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »
Can someone answer with something sensible instead of saying oh hear comes another snipe at em,he's jealous just wishes he was in the same position which couldn't be further from the truth. I can see the big picture with this in our business,Im pointing out the pitfalls of it yeah you might make money from it but joe bloggs  that's never even done this job before saying he's going to be making what's being quoted is complete poope.

8weekly

« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
Lol lots of bum kissing going on with the is thread,I would love to see the quality of the work done by a complete newbie that knows not of any pitfalls when cleaning with a pole I used to think it was scrub and run until I did some inside and out jobs years ago. Your not a proper windy until you've mastered the blade before even thinking of getting the pole out people want insides doing on a lot of work I do,you say you replace work this seems to get mentioned quiet a lot the fact that you replace work,why I very rarely lose work unless it's someone moving house and even then more often than not the new owners take you there's normally a list left of all people that do work on the house. If you were to give the franchisee a grands worth of work to do a week it's unrealistic to think they'd get through it and clean it to a top standard even half desent if they've never cleaned Windows,I know it's not rocket science but even learning to know where your going on a round so that your fully up to speed takes time,months in some cases years if your right out in the sticks when even satnav won't help you. I would go as far as to say that sending a complete beginner to a paying customers house is a p take TBH.
TBH you talk more nonsense than almost anyone on this forum. Actually, no, not almost anyone. ANYONE.

NWH

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »
Lol really got yourself that modular pole yet have you.

davids3511

« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2016, 04:55:19 pm »
Jesus, you're talking some crap. Are you purposely being obtuse? You hate the franchise model, that is obvious but at least they are going out there with training under their belt on houses that have been cleaned previously. You want a newbie to just get started with a canvasser and to get cleaning on first cleans. How's that better? Who says they have to clean 1k in the first week. What about starting with £400 week one, £450 week 2 and so on until they are up to speed? Years to learn the round, that's part of the interview process. You get to weed out the absolute morons (which you'd have to be if you couldn't find your way around a round after a few weeks.

Your not a proper windy until you've mastered the blade Who cares what your definition of a windy is, it's irrelevant.

NWH

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2016, 04:57:01 pm »
Yeah it's completely wrong to think that to send an absolute newbie out to work on his own is stupid,when I decide I don't want particular jobs anymore I'll take that advise.

NWH

« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2016, 04:59:04 pm »
Interview lol Jesus,I can't read m8'but I'm a hell of a worker ask my probation officer 😂😂😂😂😂

davids3511

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2016, 05:05:44 pm »
Yeah it's completely wrong to think that to send an absolute newbie out to work on his own is stupid,when I decide I don't want particular jobs anymore I'll take that advise.
So in your world how does that guy who had work canvassed up get started?

NWH

« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2016, 05:11:32 pm »
What he does is what you do in any job you go out with someone competent and learn it,you do it day in day out until someone like me says your ready to start doing some work  on your own. Someone comes along with a few grand and says I want to start window cleaning and someone with so called knowledge says there you go John off you go good luck,don't worry I'll keep getting your more houses to lose its laughable I would be waiting for the phone to ring if I'd sent him out.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 05:16:22 pm »

Sean, I don't think it's coincidence.  If there's a shortage of cleaners, prices can be much higher.  I also suspect that (in general) the further south you go the fewer people want to do a job that has all the perceived social status of a dung beetle, as they have other options.  That means a shortage of cleaners.  (I should point out that I'm from Sheffield so it's not an anti-North thing; I know life's tougher.)  That said, there are still people around here charging £3.50 a clean.

Some of the prices quoted on here scare me, frankly.  Some of the Scottish guys are fighting in a world where customers expect to pay slave wages to their cleaners.  It must be heartbreaking to want to price high and give good quality when a "high" price is six or seven quid.

Vin
I'm in Scotland, I don't have to price ' high' to earn a very good hourly rate, but then I don't have to over clean a property either to justify a high price.

8weekly

« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2016, 05:19:40 pm »
What he does is what you do in any job you go out with someone competent and learn it,you do it day in day out until someone like me says your ready to start doing some work  on your own.
LOL

NWH

« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2016, 05:20:30 pm »
Yeah but you probably know what your doing and have been doing it a while

NWH

« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2016, 05:21:58 pm »
What he does is what you do in any job you go out with someone competent and learn it,you do it day in day out until someone like me says your ready to start doing some work  on your own.
LOL
You like that did you lol uck me I'm the daddy arnt I 👅👅👅👅

sunshine windows

« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2016, 05:27:38 pm »
Mine stay with me for 2 months working side by side. I don't even let them touch the glass on day one. Just tell them to watch how it's done.

I think 2 months is plenty of time to train a competent window cleaner. If they can't grasp the basic process of how to get a spotless window using  wfp in that time, it's obviously not for them.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk