This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: Is window cleaning a real job?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 03:49:54 pm »
35 grand a year is not great money down south your struggle to live,I'm not bully bullpoop bragging it's about 6-700 a week for someone running a business it's poor.

tony day

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 03:52:33 pm »
Quarter-Light.

So in a nutshell! A waste of a life!

Rich Wilts

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 04:05:22 pm »
No, because if you do it right you don't live to work.

Mick Kent

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »
NWH Its not about money, if it is then im doing mustard as have some unreal contracts with no underpriced work!  Have 2 houses, drive a sports car, nice savings account and my family dont go without anything as i put my all into what i do but my job is that I still clean poo and dirt from glass for my living which isnt many people's career choice!.

NWH

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »
I don't think it's what your doing for a living is what the problem is then,are you having a bit of a look in the mirror mid lifer lol,go and get yourself a couple of good massages that'll sort you out.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:32 pm »
35k a year window cleaning !!! WOWZERS.

Must be cleaning Buckingham palace every day  :o :o :o

NWH

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

lol you could earn that working on the buses or a signal man on British rail,your on a wind up I know you are.

8weekly

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »

lol you could earn that working on the buses or a signal man on British rail,your on a wind up I know you are.
A London Underground driver is on £60k a year.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 04:44:36 pm »

Ah, no you couldn't

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Bus_Driver/Hourly_Rate

NWH

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »
Yeah they start on 50 I spoke to a couple of railway workers they said the course is worth it but you've had to do quiet a few years on general trains and you need to know someone on the inside to get a chance,a lot of father and sons on the railway. That's my point 35k working for yourself is not that great when you look around that's why most get stuck doing this job,what can you earn doing something else when you've done this for years,it's tuff to make a change coz the chances are you'll be earning a lot less

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »
So I could quadruple my pay by driving trains. Interesting.

No rain and wind.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 04:52:09 pm »
Yeah you could lol they still only end up with a bit more than 35k though.go for it. 🚅🚅🚅🚅

Mick Kent

8weekly

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 04:57:44 pm »
It's like the hourly issue. Those earning £25-30 an hour on the glass and thinking they're doing well are mad. By the time you take into account, holidays, sick pay, your overheads etc, I reckon you're probably better off on £12 an hour in a dead end job.

Smurf

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 04:58:44 pm »
So that is one of the reasons why rail travel is so expensive as obviously train drivers get paid too much. ;D

Mick Kent

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:04 pm »
It's like the hourly issue. Those earning £25-30 an hour on the glass and thinking they're doing well are mad. By the time you take into account, holidays, sick pay, your overheads etc, I reckon you're probably better off on £12 an hour in a dead end job.

Top speech, i think the same.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »
I've been doing this a while and running your own business only you limit what you earn.
Quarter lights post recently about the con roof was great it should encourage people that the potential is there and not to get jealous.
But there are still plenty that really under value what they do looked at a care home recently and the tender pack was  about 15 pages long with the main focus being health and safety.
When I got there the current window cleaner was there laddering the job with his lad I got talking with the client and asked what they were paying and how long they were on site for  she said a "full day and they charge £100"
I nearly fell over.

That price was between two
So,so many window cleaners are still working at 1980 prices.

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »
I think the problem is, when you work on your own , you can charge a decent price but as some window cleaners grow and then take on staff, that house that used to take you 20 mins now takes 5 mins, some windows think they have to charge a couple of quid because they aren't there long. Silly I know, but that's what one windy said in my area

windowswashed

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 05:17:58 pm »
I've got two trades to fall back on and a list of qualifications to add on my CV.  Been an employer in the past and choose to work self employed alone nowadays  owing to health. I don't want to work all the hours under the sun, want to be able to take time off when I choose within reason of obligated work commitments.  I wouldn't work for peanuts with a glorified job title or for anyone else on a decent wage either as I enjoy the freedom and flexibility this job allows.  I couldn't care what people think of my job and if they look down upon me, I don't worry what others think about me, I'm content.

Smurf

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 05:19:35 pm »
I've been doing this a while and running your own business only you limit what you earn.
Quarter lights post recently about the con roof was great it should encourage people that the potential is there and not to get jealous.
But there are still plenty that really under value what they do looked at a care home recently and the tender pack was  about 15 pages long with the main focus being health and safety.
When I got there the current window cleaner was there laddering the job with his lad I got talking with the client and asked what they were paying and how long they were on site for  she said a "full day and they charge £100"
I nearly fell over.

That price was between two
So,so many window cleaners are still working at 1980 prices.

There are plenty of what I call numpties about undercharging for sure but hay ho life goes on. Until they fall off the ladders that is risking life and limb just trying to earn a few quid.