This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Insurance add ons yes or no?
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:15 pm »
Does anyone also insure their van system and equipment? I've always just insured my van but for another £140 they'll insure my system !
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

Re: Insurance add ons yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:22:04 pm »
I don't.
It's a game of three halves!

Cookie

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:36 pm »
Nor me.... I've always considered these insurance add-ons to be a cash cow for the insurance companies.... It's similar to these extended warranties for electric appliances.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:19:24 am »
Neither do I.

They will take your money but will find every excuse not to pay a claim.

We very really leave back doors open (ajar), but they are never locked. Its too much hassle when there are two of us working from the van. However the front doors are always locked. The cab is separated from the cargo area via a steel bulkhead.
We had several letters from the insurance company a couple of years ago advising us that we would void our insurance if we didn't keep the van's doors locked at all times when we left the van unattended.
To me that was their 'get out of jail card' so I have taken the risk.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Klean07

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:07:08 am »
Just as I thought though in my early years of wfp insurance for my van was pretty cheap but as soon as they knew I had a water tank inside most companies would either  refuse insurance or put premium up by 50%. This then led to only a handful of companies able to provide it like A-Plan for example.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Rich Wilts

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:22:26 am »
Mine is. If the system gets written off the van insurance won't cover it.

If a pole gets driven over its insured. I think it's worth it.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:24:44 am »
Neither do I.

We very really leave back doors open (ajar), but they are never locked. Its too much hassle when there are two of us working from the van. However the front doors are always locked. The cab is separated from the cargo area via a steel bulkhead.
We had several letters from the insurance company a couple of years ago advising us that we would void our insurance if we didn't keep the van's doors locked at all times when we left the van unattended.

I would've thought that was obvious. No insurer will cover theft of an unlocked vehicle.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:09:08 pm »
Neither do I.

I would've thought that was obvious. No insurer will cover theft of an unlocked vehicle.

This is true. The OP asked about insuring his equipment in the back of his van. We keep our front locked at all times because of this.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Walter Mitty

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »
It depends what the add-ons are I suppose.  I usually go for protected NCB, though I recently discovered that this isn't as much protection as I once believed.
I usually go for insuring the system and tools, but needed so cut my outgoings due to other high expenses.  It didn't help that a while back, the premium for window cleaning tools was hiked massively due to "targetting".   I hope it doesn't turn out to be a false economy.  It is often possible to get tools insurance tacked onto public liability rather than vehicle insurance.
The insurance to be loaned a WFP van if your own is off road due to an insured loss looks useful.  Again, I opted out this year.  It can get complicated though because if you have this insurance and tools insurance, they won't give the spare van insurance if you have tools covered elsewhere (or was it the other way around?).  They did explain why but I've forgotten the exact explanation now.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:11 am »
I have all the add-ons and wouldn't be without them. (Provided by Alexander Swan)

Van insurance (of course)
System insurance
Poles Insurance
Replacement WFP Van Cover (you get a courtesy van with a WFP system in it, if yours is off the road)

The way I see it, if your van gets crashed into and the system gets damaged, or your van gets stolen, you have to have sufficient cover to get it replaced, and you also need a van and system to use while you wait for it to be sorted.

I could not be without a WFP van for working if mine got stolen or crashed into, so the replacement vehicle cover for me is invaluable.

I can't understand those who don't have this cover, how will you pay the mortgage/rent if your van is stolen or crashed into, and you suddenly have no WFP system?!  Most insurance companies will provide a courtesy van, but what use is that without a system?  System cover costs me £150 a year, which in my opinion is cheap for what you get, and courtesy WFP van is £85 a year, also cheap.  I also like the fact that they provide a van with a 600 Litre Ionic system, not just some rubbish that someone has cobbled together.

I've always considered these insurance add-ons to be a cash cow for the insurance companies

They may be, but the cover is still necessary IMO.  Selling food is a cash-cow for supermarkets, but it doesn't mean you should stop eating because of it.

This is what it costs me for a 2009 VW Caddy Van with a 400 Litre Pure2o System installed:

Commercial Van Motor Insurance : £340
WFP System with Poles + Ancillaries : £150 (Insured amount £5k)
Replacement Vehicle Cover : £85
Legal Expenses Cover : £4.72
Total : £579.72

Worth every penny IMO.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:29 am »
I have all the add-ons and wouldn't be without them. (Provided by Alexander Swan)

Van insurance (of course)
System insurance
Poles Insurance
Replacement WFP Van Cover (you get a courtesy van with a WFP system in it, if yours is off the road)

The way I see it, if your van gets crashed into and the system gets damaged, or your van gets stolen, you have to have sufficient cover to get it replaced, and you also need a van and system to use while you wait for it to be sorted.

I could not be without a WFP van for working if mine got stolen or crashed into, so the replacement vehicle cover for me is invaluable.

I can't understand those who don't have this cover, how will you pay the mortgage/rent if your van is stolen or crashed into, and you suddenly have no WFP system?!  Most insurance companies will provide a courtesy van, but what use is that without a system?  System cover costs me £150 a year, which in my opinion is cheap for what you get, and courtesy WFP van is £85 a year, also cheap.  I also like the fact that they provide a van with a 600 Litre Ionic system, not just some rubbish that someone has cobbled together.

I've always considered these insurance add-ons to be a cash cow for the insurance companies

They may be, but the cover is still necessary IMO.  Selling food is a cash-cow for supermarkets, but it doesn't mean you should stop eating because of it.

This is what it costs me for a 2009 VW Caddy Van with a 400 Litre Pure2o System installed:

Commercial Van Motor Insurance : £340
WFP System with Poles + Ancillaries : £150 (Insured amount £5k)
Replacement Vehicle Cover : £85
Legal Expenses Cover : £4.72
Total : £579.72

Worth every penny IMO.

I normally do it but my basic insurance (with NCB) went sky high due to a new van.  I've taken a small gamble really I suppose.  I can hire a van and backpack it if I have to.
Finances should be improved come October (renewal time) so will probably re-instate the extras.
The amounts you quoted were lower than mine.  Insurance just under £600.  Poles/system about £200.  I imagine replacement vehicle  is £85 (they want all that last bit up front).  Irritatingly, they won't do replacement vehicle cover unless you insure poles/system with them.