This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jimlaffo

CIS query.
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:55:08 pm »
Hi. I completed a builders clean  5 weeks ago and have been chasing the payment ever since. I finally got a reply today and they have asked me for my CIS number? I have never come across this before, I normally steer clear from builders cleans. After doing a bit of research I understand that I will now lose 20% from my original quote which is a bit annoying.
Is it easy enough to apply for CIS details? Could I contest it?
I haven't replied to there email yet as I wanted to get a better understanding first.
Thanks for any info/ advice, needless to say, I won't be doing any more builders cleans, not worth the hassle!!

Smudger

Re: CIS query.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »
I don't really deal with this type of thing but I thought the CIS scheme was for those who were long term contracts like brickies etc...

Actually, typing this I remember we did a job where the 20% was deducted, we just went back pointing out it was a one off clean not a contract and were paid the remaining by the end of the week.

I'd ring them up pointing out your not a long term contract subby

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »
I did a job for a building company in the summer.They tried to  do the same.
I explained that I very rarely do work in the construction industry and did not have one and that I am responsible for my own tax and n.i.
They paid the invoice in full but took ages.

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:25:27 pm »
Jim , this depends on what was involved in your builders clean and also who owns the building .
Is this a new build or a refurb ? 

https://www.gov.uk/what-you-must-do-as-a-cis-contractor/who-is-covered-by-cis

Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

jimlaffo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »
Jim , this depends on what was involved in your builders clean and also who owns the building .

It was a new domestic build and only the exterior windows were cleaned.

Thanks for the replies, just trying to get an understanding of it  ??? ;D

deeege

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »

It was a new domestic build and only the exterior windows were cleaned.

Thanks for the replies, just trying to get an understanding of it  ??? ;D

You got that huge new build in Thelwall then? How long did it take you?   ;D

In answer to your question though, my understanding is if it is external cleaning then it's not subject to CIS. We do a lot of build cleans for various companies and I've never paid CIS yet.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

deeege

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:36:23 pm »
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cisrmanual/cisr14110.htm

This provision is straightforward but you should note the following points
it only applies to cleaning undertaken in the course of, or on completion of construction work
it does not apply to the external cleaning of buildings and structures
it does not apply to routine cleaning undertaken on existing commercial or industrial premises not undergoing construction work
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

jimlaffo

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:21:40 pm »
No it wasn't Deeege, I take it you're based in Warrington?
Thanks for your reply though, I'll read up on it and see if I can sort it.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:40:40 pm »
No worries. Yes Warrington based too.

In the past I've just printed that page from HMRC website and sent with my invoice. Builders can't really argue with a direct quote from the HMRC.

Good luck with it. (I still think it's The Thelwall job)  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:20:31 am »
Cleaning external only of building so CIS card not needed. Had builders try insisting on holding back paying me 20% in the past and they haven't got a leg to stand on as we're self employed and are responsible for paying our own tax. Builders are just trying to pull the wool over your eyes and keep your tax money for themselves to pay. I avoid doing builders cleans as too much hassle trying to get your money off them as a rule.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 02:48:23 pm »
Is this a bit like the old 714s and 715s from way back.  If you couldn't show a card and provide a receipt from the books HMRC issued, you were deducted x% by the builder - who had to pass it on to HMRC.  It could be claimed back from the taxman though.  It was done that way as there were a lot of cash in hand building workers who were avoiding tax and, in some cases, weren't even in the system.  However, it was well known that there was a black market in 715 (or was it 714) vouchers.  It wasn't unheard of for people to sell them and just do a flit.