This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CleanClear

Cleaning Solar Panels..........
« on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:49 pm »
Some people like to add a "Mystique" around it, but its really very easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1W3lHpNszg

That video is produced by West Coast Solar Energy in America.
http://www.westcoastsolarenergy.com/maintenance/

Leaving the access issues aside, it seems straightforeward. But even if there's more to it, i'm gonna email a few Solar panel manufacturers for their recommendations. After all, all manufacturers will recommend what you do to maintain their stuff.
You wouldn't pay for a course to wash your car or van would you ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Rich Wilts

Re: Cleaning Solar Panels..........
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:57:13 pm »
You wouldn't pay for a course to wash your car or van would you ?

I hear Solar 'I'm the Godfather of Solar Panel Cleaning' Steve is branching out. He's gonna charge £250 for a full day course on washing and waxing cars. You get a certificate, self certificate, a logo for your website and a shammy.

CleanClear

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:17:00 pm »
You give me an idea..The Guild of Solar Panel Cleaners, just gonna see if i can register it. I'll be like Lee Burbidge, we'll both own Guilds, then i can hold my head up with the big guys !!   :-)
 Just gonna research how to use them terms like..."industry lead, Industry Approved" etc.....

Rich Wilts

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:21 pm »
There's a man with his head in the clouds.   ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:54 pm »
Lets just see how we go, i got spare chairs in my spare room. Lets not rule anything out just yet. I'm thinking big for 2016 !!

Rich Wilts

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 11:40:28 pm »
You'll need a table and a typewriter. Just make sure you have more office staff than operatives and you start your own T.V. channel. At Christmas each year you'll have to write a speech thanking everyone, like the postman and the milkman as you wouldn't be where you are without them.

windowswashed

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:49:23 pm »
I clean my own solar panels as per the vid on youtube.
Building solar panel generating kits aren't as difficult as people think once you are familiar with how the systems work. I have a 1200watt 330Ah 12volt system for running 12v and 220volt for a lot of stuff  which I put together myself. I know how to run batteries parallel or in series and to run 12-48v, it becomes addictive when you start getting into it. 

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:29:55 pm »
I think the real question to ask yourselves is do you really want the hassle to get involved in cleaning solar panels when there is plenty of profitable easier work out there to be had.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:49 pm »
There is no problems with cleaning solar panels esp. By WFP from the ground - all panels are fully waterproof and unless they are clearly broken or you manage to pull out wires at then somehow touch both at the same time unless the system was put in by a DIY Johnny all work electrically speaking is done by a qualified electrician - panels once in situ are virtually unbrakeable they are designed and made to withstand many years of harsh weather.

I have been in close contact with 2 local companies, they have even driven a truck over a panel, no damage no scratches and still 100% safe.

Read solar Steves site, electrocution is virtually a bye line at the bottom of the page as a vague possibility the main arguments for not cleaning your own panels are you may fall off the roof !!

I couldn't find one of the manufacturers state that you could be electrocuted ? The main issues involved firefighters and the inverter not the actual panels

Darran

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tom.m

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
I've installed panels in the past. I've had panels blown off a two storey roof and not a scratch, then again I've also knocked a corner on the pavement and the glass shattered.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:47 pm »
Must be a dangerous job carrying solar panels in summer - have you got any hair left?

Og

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
I've had a dc tingle from plumbing them in live.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:59 am »
I think the real question to ask yourselves is do you really want the hassle to get involved in cleaning solar panels when there is plenty of profitable easier work out there to be had.

the thing is if you ve got quite a few regular window cleaning customers with solar panels and you have the poles to reach them.why not clean them?solar panels are just like cleaning velux windows and your making more money from existing customers.even if you only clean them once a year.their really easy to clean with the right equipment(xtreme 47 and 90 degree carbon gooseneck).

say you clean 50 customers with solars at £30 a pop(each taking around 30 mins to clean ) its an extra  £1500 a year in earnings to add on to conny roof/f/s/g cleans.
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:37 am »
Just enough to pay for a 47' Extreme pole with carbon gooseneck. ;D

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:51:33 am »
Just enough to pay for a 47' Extreme pole with carbon gooseneck. ;D

thatll last 10 years if just used for a few jobs here and there. :)

mine was £850 in the sale a few years ago and still looks brand new.
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 07:54:46 am »
Iv been waiting for gardiners to have a Boxing Day sale......now I'm waiting for a January sale....maybe he'll have one ...one day  :P

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
They do occasionally. I bought a spare Extreme a few weeks back cheaper than the new version.

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:11 pm »

the thing is if you ve got quite a few regular window cleaning customers with solar panels and you have the poles to reach them.why not clean them?solar panels are just like cleaning velux windows and your making more money from existing customers.even if you only clean them once a year.their really easy to clean with the right equipment(xtreme 47 and 90 degree carbon gooseneck).

say you clean 50 customers with solars at £30 a pop(each taking around 30 mins to clean ) its an extra  £1500 a year in earnings to add on to conny roof/f/s/g cleans.

Thing is though not all domestic roof top arrays are easy to get at from the ground so can become a real hassle to attempt to clean them. Great if you just want to pick & choose the easy ones from an existing customer base. However once you start offer a domestic spc service to everyone and then having to start using access equipment like pickers, towers, ladders etc to get to them it starts to become a whole different ball game surely?

Cost wise I don't think domestic customer will be that willing nor want to pay much to get them cleaned either unlike the larger commercial type arrays where it’s more beneficial for them output wise.

That is why it did not take the likes of solar steve very long to figure out where the real money is to be made in solar panel cleaning so concentrated on the commercial sector instead of pi&ssing about with small domestic stuff ;D

Rich Wilts

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 01:19:55 pm »
Only the great SS cleans 50 arrays a year.

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:03 pm »
Don't be silly as that what subbies are for surely?  ;D