Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

Drop out rate for new customers ?
« on: October 03, 2015, 02:49:37 pm »
Since Jan this year we've taken on 86 new customers - none gained from canvassing.

Had 3 total messers so binned almost immediately and 5 drop out for various reasons ... so just under 10% drop out.

Does this compare with others ?

Next year will be a bigger growth year for us an moving home in November by about 15 miles to a much larger town so trying to get some feel for what to expect.  :)

Smudger

Re: Drop out rate for new customers ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:04:41 pm »
I think that's a little high Ian, currently using a canvasser and the drop out rate here a little higher than I would like at about 15% our normal drop out rate has always been closer to 2 % over the years when I canvassed.

Darran

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Ian101

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:36:25 pm »
I think that's a little high Ian, currently using a canvasser and the drop out rate here a little higher than I would like at about 15% our normal drop out rate has always been closer to 2 % over the years when I canvassed.

Darran

hmmm yes that's what I was thinking hence post ... my older customers all firmly in place ( hopefully  :)) and most of the new intake seem so far so good just lost  a couple more than I would have liked last 2 were down to a guy having his hours cut at work so fair enough and was about 6 cleans in so sure its genuine ... other one was "a family friend gonna be doing them" but no issues with us or the quality as asked them.

Last week started to charge double for 1st cleans and last 3 new customers more than ok with this and understand time is money etc etc.

As will be canvassing and marketing more intensely after house move to new area just trying to get a feel for what is "normal" ... not really kept figures before and been more of take what comes approach but my 5 year plan starts in November so gotta get more professional  :)

8weekly

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »
10% sounds ok to me. I do think drop out rates are proportionate to price also. If you are at the cheaper end you will get fewer drop outs.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
It seems frequency is the biggest bugbear for most as window cleaners seem to want to dictate how often they want to clean their windows not the other way around. 

Apparently windows cleaned by wfp  stay cleaner for longer you know ;D

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:46:18 pm »
It seems frequency is the biggest bugbear for most as window cleaners seem to want to dictate how often they want to clean their windows not the other way around. 

don't tell everyone  8)

Ian101

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »
10% sounds ok to me. I do think drop out rates are proportionate to price also. If you are at the cheaper end you will get fewer drop outs.

good point !

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:00 pm »

don't tell everyone  8)

Don't worry they will tell you  ;D

Cookie

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 04:18:14 pm »
I've been going since the beginning of April and have had a roughly 5% drop out rate. This does however include somebody moving  house and an elderly lady going into long term care. I think there will be a few more "leave it till next timers" who may drop out or be dropped by me before Christmas.

You can sometimes tell who is going to drop out on the first clean. It's funny how you're gut instinct is sometimes correct...

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »
That's why cleaners should charge double for a first clean in you ask me as weeds out ones that have no intention of a regular monthly clean.

Some after the first couple of cleans will then want them doing less frequently too or when winter comes not want them cleaned at all so it's upto the individual cleaner if they remain flexiable or not.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:22 pm »
That's what I have found, when I quote, be it canvassing, leaflets etc..  I charge double for the first clean, quite often give sixth clean at half price and the drop out rate is very low, the canvasser we use does not do this ( too complicated regards paying etc ) and as posted drop out is high

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Cookie

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
If you're an established window cleaner with a good base of customers I think it's a good idea to charge double for a first clean and this will weed out some of the potential problem customers. If you're just starting out for the first time however it's a bit different since you're just trying to fill your day and getting used to the job, learning as you go along etc... Yes, you will get some drop outs but this is still a minority. 

I'm still at the stage where I'm building up my round and if I charged double for first cleans I think it would be detrimental to my business. I just have to accept the risk that I may get a few extra drop outs & just move on ...

Ian101

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
If you're an established window cleaner with a good base of customers I think it's a good idea to charge double for a first clean and this will weed out some of the potential problem customers. If you're just starting out for the first time however it's a bit different since you're just trying to fill your day and getting used to the job, learning as you go along etc... Yes, you will get some drop outs but this is still a minority. 

I'm still at the stage where I'm building up my round and if I charged double for first cleans I think it would be detrimental to my business. I just have to accept the risk that I may get a few extra drop outs & just move on ...

agree with this

Mike #1

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:39 pm »
Drop out rate is 1-2%  I charge 50% more for first cleans without issue  I tell them it will usually take 3 times longer .

Sometimes it does other times not but 50 % I feel is enough although their has been times where I haven't charged any extra .

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 05:13:46 pm »
It's most definitely worth doing a 2x charge when your developing your biz, firstly you'll get minimum drop out so your customer base is not only growing but is stable, secondly, it promotes confidence in customers that you know what your talking about and come across experienced, thirdly your not picking up dross who will drop you on the next clean, and if they do you've at least been paid for your time.

Only now I  reluctantly  do first cleans at normal prices because I can absorb the low rate a little more now than I could, we had 28 new cleans on Tuesday, the hourly rate was poor, but the volume the canvasser is bringing work in offsets this in the long run ( I hope ) but I hate it !!

Darran

SeanK

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »

Totally agree building any business has costs involved and even if you get taken for a mug now and again by a customer only
looking a one off then its no big loss.
When starting out your trying to build a long term customer base win them over not scare the potential customer off from the start by hitting them with a higher than normal first clean price.
This all changes when your established and no longer need the custom.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 05:23:13 pm »
Interesting.....

Darran

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 05:41:18 pm »
Since Jan this year we've taken on 86 new customers - none gained from canvassing.

Had 3 total messers so binned almost immediately and 5 drop out for various reasons ... so just under 10% drop out.

Next year will be a bigger growth year for us an moving home in November by about 15 miles to a much larger town so trying to get some feel for what to expect.  :)

Hi Ian, if you don't mind me asking, what's your method in getting new customers if not from canvassing?
Cheers

Ian101

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 05:42:23 pm »
Darran ... is it you own canvasser ?

Ian101

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »

Hi Ian, if you don't mind me asking, what's your method in getting new customers if not from canvassing?
Cheers

mainly this ...... www.h2oproclean.co.uk   or   www.reliablewindowcleaning.co.uk

and referrals