Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Encapped a living room
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:10:34 pm »
Got some omega off John for a big commercial job tomorrow so thought I would use it today on a domestic living room. Very bad walkways were the customer dragged her feet due to having walking difficulty and lots of food spills.

The different light on the photos is  because when  I arrived the sun was not out when I had finished it was shining through the window

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

JandS

Re: Encapped a living room
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:32:58 pm »
Which Omega you get Mike?
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Darran Pryce

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »
Great result.  Tried the Omega, it's okay, still think Dyanmall is king.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:10:55 pm »
Which Omega you get Mike?

Not sure, the one with an added deodoriser.

Got to say it did a good job but was slower than using the truck-mount, I would guess it will dry quicker. I used 3lt of solution ...... I will do some maths and come back.....

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »
I messed up the dilution.... Used toooo much  :-[

I mixed  70mls  into  a 1:5lt bottle  should have used less so this room cost me about £1:40 to clean

JandS

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »
30ml per liter or 60ml for really heavily soiled is what it says.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

tim handley

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:00:33 pm »
 1:40 dilution.................. cheap as cheaps..............
 if doing a more heavily stained area leave to dwell ten minutes ish. though i never have, its always worked a treat straight off!!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »
I encapped three offices (Low profile carpet tiles) today as a 1st time trial. Several oil stains from HGV drivers boots. Used Dynamal but wasn't sure how much to apply. Looked much better after the encapp and I was going to leave it at that, but as it was drying the oil stains came back slightly.
Applied Citrus Gell agitated the spots, then extracted them. The areas that I extracted stood out a mile as cleaner, so ended up extracting  everything.
The thing is, if the stains hadn't reappeared I would have accepted the encapping as being a good job, however the extraction result showed that it really wasn't.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Tony Stewart

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »
Encapped like Dave a school for a builder who only wanted it to look clean. Got a call back two weeks later to say that the school would not sign off or pay the £133,000 bill as the walkways were re soiled and had black track marks that weren't there before. I was called back by the builder to fix the problem and ended up truckmounting all the corridors. The staff could see the difference as I was doing it as the amount of dirt being removed was unreal. I then bonnetted it off and now they want me back to clean the classrooms. I have a Cimex so had originally encapped with that, so it wasn't a cheap rotary job. I thus am still on the fence. When someone says as cheap as chips it just rings a few alarm bells. I know that hot water extraction and encapping have their place but I like Dave know that if you can extract with a truckmount and then bonnet off then you have removed the soil from the carpet and not relied on contract cleaners in a school using a Henry. And then there are those that encap domestics like Mike!!!!!! ;D
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »
Well that makes the point about encapping perfectly. It has its place, but it also has serious limitations and you  have to know when and when not to use it as a first choice. Beyond giving it a whirl, excuse the pun,  I wouldn't use it on domestics, too many nasty chems being left in the carpet, or so the boffins say.

Simon

tim handley

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 08:13:31 am »
not a method for domestic in my opinion, but great on most commerfcial jobs, tough has to be coupled with extraction where need be.....  some of the commercials ive encapped in a day would take all week to extract. Which i guess would be fine if they would pay the price for a weeks work rather than one days worth!!! 

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:05 am »
, too many nasty chems being left in the carpet, or so the boffins say.
Simon

Which boffins are these & what nasty chemicals? Looking at omega it says ok to use in California which has the strictest laws on the use of chemicals in cleaning agents,  so I don't think it can be that nasty.

I agree with Tim it's not a chemical to be used in domestics under normal curcustances, to be honest I don't I won't be using it again  on domestic or commercial, I found it to be no better or quicker than bonneting.

Yesterday I encamped  a huge health centre which I have done twice before, it took exactly the same length of time as when I bonneted it, maybe not having a solution tank on the cimex made a difference as I had to prespraying before cleaning. but as I could prespraying ahead of my self all the carpets had a good 15minute dwell time, which it reccomends on heavily soiled carpets( these were not heavily soiled)

The last time I used pure clean which cost wise was cheaper than the  £30 this job cost,

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 09:48:43 am »
At one point I thought encap was the answer to all my prayers.
I thought it would give me a great usp and make good money. I was hoping to use it in a domestic situation.
Having used it on my own carpets I was very impressed initially, they are a 60/40 wool tufted.
After 4 months I wasnt so sure, I have also used it on commercial, I found I developed a cough each time I used it.
Having badly damaged my ankle on a job a week or so ago I was told to sit at home for 6 weeks with my foot up so there I was sat with my foot up for hours looking at my carpet. Couldn't bare it anylonger so fired up my TM and cleaned them.
The results (apart from agony) was that my carpets feel and look far better cleaner and softer. The texture was the biggest thing I noticed. I guess having a dog didnt help but from now on I will only fully extract.
Sat with my foot up, afraid I may be posting a lot on here. ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 10:10:23 am »
That's because you removed the dirt instead of mixing it up with a load of chemicals and leaving it there.😳

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:01:19 am »
True  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »
Are you  saying you don't believe it is encapsulated and removed by subsequent vacuuming by the customer?

;D ;D ;D ;D

I use those emoticons as they don't do one for 'peeing  myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the suggestion'

Encapping is about improving appearance not removing dirt,

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »
Hang on a second, if encapping is about improving appearance, not removing dirt, then doesn't that leave you with something of a moral dilemma when someone calls  you for a price to 'clean' their carpet? If you're going to encap it then shouldn't you qualify the customer that you won't actually be removing the dirt from their carpet and will merely improve the appearance  of it?

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »
Yep that is the USP have your carpets visually improved without the hassle of having them cleaned.

That said I used it on a commercial carpet which was whicking back, made it look good by time I had finished.

Have to agree with Simon a bit of a dilemma.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »
Hang on a second, if encapping is about improving appearance, not removing dirt, then doesn't that leave you with something of a moral dilemma when someone calls  you for a price to 'clean' their carpet? If you're going to encap it then shouldn't you qualify the customer that you won't actually be removing the dirt from their carpet and will merely improve the appearance  of it?
s

Yes exactly.....  I've mentioned this many a time,  do regular encapper tell the client you won't actually remove any dirt on the day of cleaning but rely on subsequent vacuuming.

Especially when the leave nasty chems on the carpet (as explained by the boffins)

Simon Gerrard

Re: Encapped a living room New
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 03:27:44 pm »
But Mike,  you've just told us that, 'encapping is about improving appearance, not removing dirt,' so how do you put that to the customer who, unless you qualify them on the standard you have now defined,  might otherwise be thinking  that  you're cleaning their carpet and not just rearranging the dirt and justify that with a tenuous hope that the customer will do a thorough  job of vaccing it afterwards, if they vac it at all - a step upon which the whole system relies?
So if encapping is about appearance and not cleaning, then it would not be wrong to give a customer enquiring about having their carpet 'cleaned' a price  for 'cleaning,' if you then encap it, which you've now told us isn't 'cleaning?'

Simon