Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MarkRs4

Scotchgard
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:18 pm »
Hi all,

New to the game here, and a client asked me to scotchgard his carpets after the clean.

Is there any dos and donts here.... I've never worked with the stuff yet i do have a stainless steel sprayer that i was told was a must have for it?

After the clean do you set pile let dry then apply scotchgard ? How long to you leave to dry etc? Do you use blower to dry it?

Sorry for the noob questions any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Kev Loomes

Re: Scotchgard
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:37:09 pm »
You don't have to use a stainless steel sprayer - but they are good and last for years. I would recommend an 02 or 03 tip @ 80 deg (8002 or 8003). Spray straight after cleaning , but if your using a porty you might want to do some dry passes so that you don't over wet with the 'scotchguard'. After application it will need brushing in to get it well in to the fibres and yes a turbo dryer would be good - but only if you have time! It's not critical. Don't forget to wipe skirting boards and edging bars. Tell the customer that it will take a good 24-48hrs to cure properly - and tell them that it isn't bullet proof!

I presume that you will be treating a wool rich fibre?

MarkRs4

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Yes its a wool carpet but in my eyes its took a beating! So im hoping after a good clean it will revive it a little the as client wishes... Apply scotchgard.

I am using a porty, so after cleaning just get fired into the scotchgard and then set pile and dry?

Thanks again

Kev Loomes

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:50:32 pm »
Yes, straight after cleaning, an acid rinse would help too. Brush in - in both directions, then brush one way to make it look nice. Get the windows open to aid in drying and to get the moisture out - a dryer would help massively. I would do this if for instance when I've got other things to clean so that I can leave it going.

p.s. watch out for open fires - don't get the blower on as it will be a right mess!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
Well if the carpet has taken a beating there is little  point in scotchgarding it as it would be a waste of time and the clients money. Just because a client asks for it doesn't mean it is right to sell it to them regardless.

Simon

MarkRs4

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »
Your right simon.... But like i said im new to this so in my eyes a beating could be something thats completly savable.

Im still learning and will try to save anything i can to gain experiance to see what the capabilities of myself/ machine can do. In my eyes nothing ventured nothing gained.

Mark

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:11 am »
Which machine have you got?
Btw, you'd get a lot more help if you filled in your name!!!!

Simon

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »
if you don't rinse the carpet fibres well and leave it in a slightly acidic state then the exercise won't work as higher ph will kill the fluorocarbons in the product, things like applying scotchguard in its own uncontaminated sprayer ie. not the one you used for pre spray also a separate pile brush, I have 3 pile brushes on the van 1. For pre spray agitation, 1 for resetting the pile and one for brushing in scotchguard.

Shaun

MarkRs4

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:33 pm »
Which machine have you got?
Btw, you'd get a lot more help if you filled in your name!!!!

Simon

Steampro - And i dont understand how filling in my name will get me alot more help?  Surly a usernames a username....  But never the less thank you for your help.

Thanks shaun, i didnt think that i would have to keep my brushes separate for this so  i will buy new  one like you suggested. what style of brush would you recomend for this?

Thanks again
Mark 

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:12:54 pm »
What he means Mark is that a lot of people won't post replies to people who don't have a full profile. They could be helping their competitor or just a principle.

MarkRs4

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 09:26:58 pm »
What he means Mark is that a lot of people won't post replies to people who don't have a full profile. They could be helping their competitor or just a principle.

I get you... Still doesnt stop people making fake profiles... But i will change it if its going to benefit myself.

Thanks for the heads up 👍🏻

Dave_Lee

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »
Just a personal thing But I don't like the idea of applying SG after cleaning or even on new carpets unless the carpet can be left unused for at least 48 hours, which in most cases it cannot.
I did a Scotgard course run by 3M at Bracknell many years ago and  became a SG licensed applicator.
They no longer operate this scheme.
For the SG to be properly applied the carpet is  quite considerably wetted with the product, not something I want to do following cleaning, when you really want it dry as soon as possible. If the correct amount of product with the correct coverage is not applied (ie: just misted over) then it will not have the desired effect.
If anyone walks across the carpet whilst it is still damp with product they will 'track it off'.
If the carpet is not left neutral after cleaning, any alkalinity will destroy the fluorocarbon, making it pointless in applying it in the first case.
A bit like building a rod for your own back springs to mind.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

gwrightson

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 07:35:33 am »
I had a local cheapo carpet cleaning company call me last week ::)roll

With held number, asking me how much I charge for stain protection?  I had a feeling just by the tone of his voice, I immediately started to ask a few questions and do a little probing and basically baffle him with waffle and fictitious prices , low and behold he gave me a price he had been quoted by company who just happened to be the one I thought was calling me ;D 

Never heard another thing since , but I did call the said company soon after and guess what exactly the same voice ;D
I said " can you tell me how much to put stain protection on stair and landing" his exact words in the original call, then I put the phone down.
Cheeky prats  ;)   

Geoff.
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

MarkRs4

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:51:46 am »
I had a local cheapo carpet cleaning company call me last week ::)roll

With held number, asking me how much I charge for stain protection?  I had a feeling just by the tone of his voice, I immediately started to ask a few questions and do a little probing and basically baffle him with waffle and fictitious prices , low and behold he gave me a price he had been quoted by company who just happened to be the one I thought was calling me ;D 

Never heard another thing since , but I did call the said company soon after and guess what exactly the same voice ;D
I said " can you tell me how much to put stain protection on stair and landing" his exact words in the original call, then I put the phone down.
Cheeky prats  ;)   

Geoff.
[/quote
Brilliant... Thats one way to send a message! Bet he felt like a right twat after that!