Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jasonl

Filtration lines information sheet
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »
I have produced a sheet to inform customers about filtration lines here are the words ...

Filtration lines information sheet             

How they form

Filtration lines occur no matter the type of home or building. 

Sadly even if a carpet has been fitted correctly & even to BS5253 draught marking may still occour. Since everyone now (including your client) demands light & plain carpets it has become commonplace.

As everyone knows, warm air moves up, and as it cools, drops back down. That's why hot air balloons defy gravity. 

Something that not everyone knows is that warm air also likes cool surfaces. 

This means that as air is warmed, typically while the heating runs, the air - full of pollutants - goes up and then searches out cooler surfaces, such as an outside wall or another room. 

As the air moves toward the cooler area, it will push its way through carpeted surfaces (under doors, etc) and "clean itself". Just as carpet is a filter, it is much more so when air moves from one room to another, or when air moves under furniture, etc. What is left behind is a buildup of oily soils that are very difficult to remove. As more time passes, more soils build up and soon you have a tremendous cleaning challenge. 

Their makeup is oily and the molecules of the soils are so small that cleaning them or removing them from fibres is difficult. In addition, they have an electrical "charge" that bonds them firmly to the fibre. 
Challenges

Probably the biggest challenge to removing soil filtration lines is where they are on the carpet.  Although about one-third of soil filtration lines are under doors kept closed most of the time, the other two-thirds are in areas very difficult to work on. 

If your customer or client has a room that is seldom used, and the door is kept closed, the air that goes into or out of that room moves under the door - which means that the pollutants in the air are trapped in the carpet under the door. 

After all, carpet is a filter, and when you concentrate air movement in an area (such as under a door) you get more soiling in that area. 

You need agitation

The key to removing filtration soiling is agitation. Even the strongest chemical won't do the job by itself. Many carpet cleaners have attempted soil filtration removal by applying the correct chemistry and "scrubbing" the chemistry into the carpet. 

These same carpet cleaners have found that they damaged the baseboards, walls or other close surfaces at the same time. 
Many filtration soils are along walls that go up or down a set of staircase, or along the baseboards of walls. Imagine the difficulty attempting proper agitation against walls that you do not want to harm. 

There are many good chemical formulations for soil filtration removal. Check with your supplier for the best ones for you. No matter which one you choose, be prepared for heavy agitation on filtration soils.

Better scenarios

By now, you are wondering why you would want to attempt removing filtration soiling. 

Here are some additional steps you can take, after regular extraction techniques fail. 

1. With a flip-top bottle, apply a gel solvent to the filtration lines (the use of a gel solvent is safer as it doesn't have a high risk of creating delamination) 
2. To protect the wall or baseboard, use a "shim" of some kind - this can be a piece of wood, plastic, or cardboard that will protect the wall or baseboard 
3. Work solution with as much agitation you can use with the particular fibre you are cleaning (a bone or plastic spatula or small brush works fine) 
4. Before rinsing, apply a strong solution of hydrogen peroxide, always remembering that natural fibres need special care (for synthetic fibres, accelerate the peroxide solution with a few drops of ammonia) 
5. Agitate the chemicals on the fibre and let them mix and dwell for several minutes 
6. Rinse, but keep the shim close to the wall or baseboard, in order to avoid harming the wall or baseboard 
7. Repeat as necessary, allowing the peroxide solution more time for a better chemical reaction 

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

David Ware

Re: Filtration lines information sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:29:03 pm »
If I was a customer I would be scared  silly to have my carpets cleaned just reading that information sheet. Better to have in your terms and condition that you do not guarantee that stains and marks will be removed. IMO
David

garyhumphreys

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:22 pm »
I'm not sure that you'll achieve anything with that Jason. Too many words, not enough life.

Hilton

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »
Is that information for a cleaner or a customer ? as information for a cleaner or commercial customer I would say it was useful but;
I would not let domestic customer any where near it,
Peroxide,
Chemicals
Delamination
Ammonia

I tend to agree that it would frighten more than inform and what every day customer even knows what filtration is plus they do not have to be in lines so no, not a good idea in my opinion,..

jasonl

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »
I work for a lot of  house builders and it is to explain that filtration lines are not a fault in the building .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »
If you are printing these out I would add photos of different types of filtration marks eg under a door , around skirting boards , from knee kickers teeth.

Just because we all know what filtration marks look like  doesn't mean a builder will
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 06:36:09 pm »
If you are printing these out I would add photos of different types of filtration marks eg under a door , around skirting boards , from knee kickers teeth.

Just because we all know what filtration marks look like  doesn't mean a builder will

" from knee kickers teeth."
Is that what those are ! and i thought i knew everything  :D

jasonl

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 06:53:16 pm »
This is just the words , it is printed with images of different types of filtration marks . It is the homebuyers who receive them not the builders .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »
It's dirty air seeping up through the gap between the bottom of the skirting board and the floorboards,  and sometimes up through the gaps in floorboards in old house and some through the holes left by knee kickers. They are the  only stain in carpet cleaning that comes from the bottom of the carpet upwards, which is why they are called filtration marks as the dirty air is filtered through the pile before it surfaces.

The only other thing a client needs to know is that even if the cc'er can remove the marks, they will come back until the air gap is sealed.

Simon

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:00:29 pm »
Well Simon,
You have surprised me by  your reply ," They are the  only stain in carpet cleaning that comes from the bottom of the carpet upwards, which is why they are called filtration marks as the dirty air is filtered through the pile before it surfaces. "

I was always under the impression and was always told the opposite :-\ and according to many leading authorities  they suggest like wise, even advising that the burning of candles over use of house hold sprays etc add to the problem.

When you think about it surly the airborne pollutants , the key word been airborne are drawn into the carpet fibres , trapping them. makes sense to me :)   your theory, or perhaps that's what you was taught/told seems to ridicule the true reasons .

Please forgive me if I have wrong, and my apologies , I will in the future let my customers know what they really are.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

gwrightson

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »

A pic of marks caused by fitter puncturing the backing, I have some identical to clean in a couple of weeks.

I do believe this pics is one of Mike H, tks Mike

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

pro-fresh

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:13:50 pm »
I have had some very good results with filtration marks  recently using Bio Clean {Nemesis} mixed with Chemspec Energizer sprayed down hot, a good agitation and rinsed with Formula 90 in the tank, in fact this combo works for all types of soiling, its also a cheap method as the Bio Clean dilutes to 1 : 120 although I usually go for 1 : 100 because  it makes it easier to work out,  the energizer is very economical too.
I am the universe expressing itself as a carpet cleaner.

www.pro-fresh.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
Draft marking is caused by airflow in both directions. If the property has an open fire or woodburner, then when this is burning vadt amounts of air are drawn up the chimney/flue. This will draw air through every gap in the building. Before the advent of double glazing most of this air came in around the window frames. Now it is making filtration marks worse as its forcing air through skirting gaps and floorboards. An un vented gas cooker or oven will have the reverse effect causing a pressure build up which will force air out of the building. Another major contributor to this as well as air pressure is humidity. All air and materials want to constantly reach equlibrium. When you are cooking, showering or drying clothes in the house the humidity builds up to quite high levels. Because the air outside is usually lower humidity, especially in winter, this also causes air to exit the building. It will exit at the coldest points which is also the reason for condensation mould on cold wall surfaces. Burning candles can cause a hell of a mess. I've even seen a property where you could seee the full outline of the breeze block wall below the plaster where the soot laden air was permeating through the mortar joints.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »
Geoff,
Houses with floorboards used to get very defined draft marks that highlighted  each plank and the way to stop them was to put brown paper  underlay on the floor  before the rubber underlay to stop the dirty air coming up. Likewise, if you seal the gap between the bottom of the skirting  and the top edge of the floorboard with silicone, you stop the air coming between the gap. Could it be bi-directional, yes it could,  and I'm not suggesting that doesn't happen, but if it we're all atmospheric then the whole carpet would become affected and given the insulation levels in building codes these days, that seems unlikely.

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:43 pm »
I work for a lot of  house builders and it is to explain that filtration lines are not a fault in the building .

Ah I see but I would add that they can also be attributed to poor workmanship so can in fact be traced back to the builders, as such and just to confuse things further ,they are not in the clear on this one either...

gwrightson

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:10:05 pm »
Simon, Yes I agree , to a degree ,
I do remember the days when most homes had newspaper under the carpets :(

What many people don't realise is that warm air is attracted to cold air, we all know that warm air rises, how ever warm air in a room is attracted to cooler air often below the carpet on the skirting etc. , airing cupboards are one of the worst places for filtration marks, not because the warm air inside is attracting the pollutants as many believe , but because the warm air is been drawn out to a cooler area,   Some of the worst cases of markings under doors are often because a door is continually closed and the temperature difference been significant causes air movement.

I do remember reading some where that where possible leave doors open , and try and keep an ambient temp through out the home, not always practical I know, but apparently does help.

Geoff

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:49 pm »
Well I think we can all agree that it's all a load of b******s and whatever causes it, hot air, cold air, gaps in floorboards, bi-directional up drafts followed by cold  multidirectional down drafts, it still leaves  draft / filtration marks, which, no matter how  you try to remove them, the little bar stewards keep coming back .
Given all that, let's just blame the effing builders and have done with it.
 Anyway, that's my draft resolution😃😃😃😃

David Ware

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:34 pm »
I thought that there is/was BS for carpet fitters to over come this problem by fitting plastic edging to allow the flow of air to move around the edge and miss the carpet fibres.
David

John Kelly

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:18 am »
Proabably is but show me a carpet fitter who follows British Standarsd and I'll show you a Unicorn.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 10:28:21 am »
A unicorn?
What's Billy Small Blower got to do with this? 😃😃