This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

keyser soze

solar panels
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:36:02 pm »
i cleaned some yesterday and kept getting a shock . is there something i should be doing to keep me safe ? is it dangerous ?

Smudger

Re: solar panels
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »
Oooooooohhhhhh dear.................... 😩

This could be painful....

Darran

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

keyser soze

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 09:39:18 pm »
what do you mean darren

Rich Wilts

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:14 pm »
A shock?

What, like the customer didn't want to pay you and you were shocked type shock?

You turned up and the muck on the panels was really stubborn type shock?

keyser soze

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:45:13 pm »
funny ,i received an electrical shock . several times, not a bad one but could feel it

Rich Wilts

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »
Well, that's interesting. Glad it didn't do any harm. There's plenty of guys on here who've been educated in this particular field of cleaning. I'm sure at least one of them will be willing to part with the 'golden egg' of solar panel cleaning and personal safety information to help prevent a reoccurrence.

I couldn't possibly help you as I'm only self-certified and that counts for nought, sorry, but I would if I could   :'(:'(:'(

Darren? Any ideas?  ;D

keyser soze

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »
i was thinking next time using some rubber gloves. unfortunately i never had any on the day .

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:02:49 pm »
Over to you SS, oh hang on a minute, he won't be in until he wants a subby or he wants to show us his next project.
We look at them, they look through them.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »
Right, I'd written a whole load out for you then lost it when the post disappeared. I'll start again.

There are two types of current we are familiar with in this country.

DC - what solar panels produce

AC - what we have running through the ring mains in our houses.

AC and DC currents can both be fatal. So far as DC is concerned the likelihood of a fatality when shocked often comes down to where the current enters the body and where it leaves. The most likely to be fatal route through the body is in through one hand and out through the other. This way it's most likely to cause a cardiac arrest. If it enters via a hand and leaves through a foot it's less likely to kill but can still.

To help avoid accidents. If you ever feel a shock whilst cleaning solar panels, stop immediately and don't continue. Tell the owner.

You can wear electrical insulation gloves and boots suitable for working in this sort of environment.

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/upload/Insulating_Boots.pdf

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/sub-product-details/insulating-gloves-boots-lv-hv

If possible, although not always easy considering what we do try to keep the working environment dry, electricity loves damp environments.

Work off rubber mats where possible.

That'll be £195.00 plus VAT.

Nick Day

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 10:25:10 pm »
Well done quarter light, at least one of you has finally understood what Health and Safety law is all about.

paulben

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:29 pm »
I was told to get customer to turn off the inverter that way shock will only be from panels
Do not steal the government hates competition

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 07:11:37 am »
Matt, I'd love to help but my self certified training ( done in conjunction with a local installation company )
Has vital and sensitive information, which may result in my solar cleaning operation being compromised

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:12 am »
i cleaned some the other month and i too kept getting little electric shocks down my right arm as i was cleaning.i had rubber gloves on and rubber soled boots.it was like a static electric shock you get sometimes when you touch a car.
price higher/work harder!

Og

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »
DC tingle!

johnny bravo

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
would it stop if the home owner switched every thing off which is connected up to the pannels  from the house.

keyser soze

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:29 am »
am i lucky to be alive ?

Rich Wilts

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 10:36:39 am »
Anyone on here seriously assessing what happened from a forum posting is doing you and themselves a dis-service. If you're unsure what happened then I'd suggest you stop cleaning panels. In your position I would also speak to a local company that installs and services them. So you get if from the horses mouth as to what is involved with the wiring of SPs and what the likely risks and consequences are should this fail.

Saying that, maybe try to keep it in perspective. More people are killed or injured each year by falling off ladders whilst window cleaning compared to those who've been solar panel cleaning. There's a risk in everything we do but there are precautions we can all implement in to our work lives.

paulben

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »
I was told by an installer to turn off at invertor that way worst is just dc from panels and not ac from invertor

keyser soze

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:37 pm »
ill just wear the special rubber gloves in future.

paulben

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:50 pm »
Rubber gloves ,Rubber wellies just need rubber suit and gas mask and you will be ready for a party break out the vasaline  ;D