Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

clive ware

Expand or sell up?
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »
Anyone been in the situation that they have too much work for one person?
Just wondered if there`s anyone on here who have stopped actual cleaning and started employing techs to carry ot the work.
Very long working hours just starting to take their toll on me after 28 years so just deciding whether to take people on or sell up.

Cheers

Clive

wayne zabel

Re: Expand or sell up?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:18:40 pm »
Why would you sell up?

Just take on as much work as you need to keep you happy.

Nothing better than being as busy as YOU want to be.

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »
time to buy truckmount?

Robin Ray

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:46 pm »
I have had this umpteen times with window cleaning work I have tried taking people on, also subbing people. Now  i have sold a lot of work off and sub some to my nephew. I am now doing the bulk of my work as carpet cleaning and are uncertain what I will do when this gets too much. As my goal is to earn as much as possible with no employees I will likely just trail off the advertising and then let the people who phone know there is a bit of a wait (like at the moment) and perhaps put the prices up too. Can you do the same?

clive ware

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:03:59 pm »
Could probably put prices up Robin. The main reason I would consider selling up is that I`ve seen a couple of businesses up for sale recently near me which I`d quite fancy and it would nice to be in the position to buy one.
Cheers for the other comments. Ive had various truckmounts for years and average 5 jobs per day  plus going out to give quotes so pretty full on!

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:55 pm »
then employ, not good to give the jobs away, if some recession happen then you stay working yourself with bigger customer database to market to. 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:55 pm »
Sounds as though you're considering leaving the trade anyway, personally I would up your prices and offer Scotchguard on every clean upping your job total as you shed some customers you'll gross the same.

Roger Peach would be a good person to talk to if you decide to sell.

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:13 pm »
If you can I would sell up 28 years doing same thing is too long . You obviously have transferable skill that has made you a very sucessful Carpet Cleaner . But In your nexst business make sure its a business that you manage and do not to be working at coal face.   If you expand you would have the worry of keeping everybody busy

Billy Russell

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:09 am »
yes, in the same position right now, I've just bought another TM and Van, now the hard bit finding someone reliable to go out and work  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:51 am »
If it's the long hours that are getting you down then turn work away,  I'm busy all the time and at times it get too busy and I start to get stressed out, so I let all the calls go to the answer phone and screen them, I pick the best and call them back, so existing customers get called back and jobs that I want. I find the crap calls don't even leave a message.

When someone rings It's not a crime to say.... "I'm Sorry I'm not taking on new clients at the moment, I can reccomendation another company who can help you"

Might be an idea to take on a helper which I find really eases the day.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:34 am »
yes, in the same position right now, I've just bought another TM and Van, now the hard bit finding someone reliable to go out and work  ;D
Billy,
Good luck with that.
Employing people is or can be a nightmare.

Simon

stuart_clark

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:38:04 am »
Clive

thought you had a truckmount mate ?

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:56:29 am »
Clive just wants to go fishing.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 06:28:52 pm »
I must admit I've got a few little hobbies and finding that work takes up my hobby time and that can be frustrating, success is what we crave and we don't know when to stop because that's what we have programmed ourselves to do as I can remember being desperate to get that first job and the thought never goes away.

Shaun

Billy Russell

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:50 pm »
Billy,
Good luck with that.
Employing people is or can be a nightmare.

Simon

thanks Simon,

its not something i'm going to do lightly, we employ around 180 on the office cleaning side, but this is a little different, I might have to buy your book  ;D

Bob Allen

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 09:17:58 pm »
Not surprised your so busy when you are always on holiday, golf or going fishing
when was the last time you did a full week?   ;D
Bob Allen

swanson

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »
You can only trust your self

Steve Chapman

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
Clive have you thought about franchising your business ?

clive ware

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »
Hi Steve - funny, I had thought along those lines. You employ a couple of techs don`t you? Does that work well?
Cheers,

Clive

Steve Chapman

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
Yep have done for a few years, but have just agreed a franchise arrangement with them both, seems the sensible way to go.
They responsible for their own businesses as franchisees and i have my own business as a franchisor provinding the customers etc.

Probably not right for everyone but suits me fine, as I enjoy the marketing side of things more these days after doing the hands on stuff for 20 odd years or more.....

Steve