Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Time to get a new "everyday" pole. Your thoughts?
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:49 am »
The 22 pole is generally the best all rounder for my round. If money isn't the main issue:

Would you get an SLX22 or an Extreme 22 as your everyday pole?

Extreme 22

How does the lightness help?
But what about not being able to clamp wherever you like?
Robust enough?

SLX22

More robust but heavier.
Can clamp where you like and more quickly in awkward spaces.

I know the extreme 25 is only £20 more than the 22 but I like the shorter closed length and already have an extreme 35/47.
It's a game of three halves!

p1w1

Re: Time to get a new "everyday" pole. Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:09:18 pm »
Personally I would go for the slx 22.  For the reasons you mentioned quicker to use more robust for day to day running.  I suffered a herniated disk beginning of the year and got the extreme 25 for the awkward house with Windows over cons and flat roofs to make it easier for me and extensions for my higher work but as an every pole the slx is fine, plus I'm a bit heavy handed so like the robustness of it and with the new clamps they do last longer.  Far better value for the money really the slx and I also prefer the shorter closed length aand not bothered if it gets knocked about.

Gerald Ash

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »
Have a look at the Facelift Phoenix. I`ve had mine for nearly three years and still going strong. Had too replace a couple of clamps but other than that. You can remove sections, lock clamps at any position and it`s light. The clamp levers are easy to use and only take one finger to operate.  I wouldn`t buy any other pole now and I`ve tried other windies poles but overall I`d stick with mine.
  Believe me you don`t get more heavy handed than me.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:12:48 pm »
Have a look at the Facelift Phoenix. I`ve had mine for nearly three years and still going strong. Had too replace a couple of clamps but other than that. You can remove sections, lock clamps at any position and it`s light. The clamp levers are easy to use and only take one finger to operate.  I wouldn`t buy any other pole now and I`ve tried other windies poles but overall I`d stick with mine.

What is the weight on this pole?

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:58:41 pm »
Extreme all the way.

Why wouldn't you want to use a lighter and more rigid pole?

Unfortunately we spend most of our lives waggling a pole around, so we should make it the best experience possible. :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Gerald Ash

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »

1.4kg to answer your question  and that`s glass fibre.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »
Extreme all the way.

Unfortunately we spend most of our lives waggling a pole around, so we should make it the best experience possible. :)

You'd think so wouldn't you; but how does that stack up against having to clamp in specific positions rather than infinitely adjustable? Does that slow you up?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:56:39 pm »

But surely they do a carbon fibre that's much lighter?

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:17 pm »
Extreme all the way.

You'd think so wouldn't you; but how does that stack up against having to clamp in specific positions rather than infinitely adjustable? Does that slow you up?

Not for me atall.

The top section half way clamped does all higher ground floor stuff, then just fully collapse it if I'm in a tight squeeze.

It's the extreme 18 I have though, so it will be a bit shorter collapsed than the 22 but not much.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

tlwcs

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »
Tough call this, I've got/had both.
Extreme 22 lasted me 3 months when I snapped no2 section pushing a window to, I know I shouldn't have but was rushing.
Bob plum bought the sections off me, replaced the broken one and is happy with it. Now I'm back to the slx 22 and happy with it

I will buy another extreme but only to replace my slx35 not as my everyday pole.

Gerald Ash, you must like the whip of a glass fibre pole seriously, a carbon pole is much easier to work with.

Tony

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 05:22:26 pm »
Gold, you berk!
If you already have an Extreme then break it down to the desired length and try it for a day or two - all your questions will then be answered!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »
Gold, you berk!
If you already have an Extreme then break it down to the desired length and try it for a day or two - all your questions will then be answered!

Not quite:

My extreme is of longer sections than the 22. So it would be an Extreme 20 (slightly too short in reach) or an Extreme 25 (unnecessarily long in reach) but when collapsed a bit bigger in a tight space.

I like the shorter sections of the 18/22 SLX's over the 25/30/35 etc.

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 06:14:04 pm »
I see,
My everyday pole is an Extreme at 30' - reaches pretty much everything on my round bar the higher commercial work.
22 foot? probably not enough in it to warrant the extra money - I'd go SLX.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 06:28:37 pm »
The 22 pole is generally the best all rounder for my round. If money isn't the main issue:

Would you get an SLX22 or an Extreme 22 as your everyday pole?

I've used both.

Extreme 22

Lighter.  Effect is probably not noticeable day to day but the fact is that it simply has to cause less wear & tear on your body the less a pole weighs.
Stiffer.  Underrated sometimes but makes work easier.
Restricted clamping points don't really affect usefulness and the metal ones look like they'll never wear out.
Section 3 snapped after nine months of use while cleaning dried on bird muck (albeit with some vigour)

SLX 22

Slightly heavier.
Bullet proof if well maintained - pole hose always wiped, weekly interior wash out with pure while filling van, daily exterior of all sections with spray from another brush.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:07:47 pm »
xtreme mr gold!well worth the money IMO.

lighter than an slx

more rigid than an slx

smoother to extend and retract

you get used to the clamping points and they are surprisingly robust for a ultra light pole as long as you dont go bashing stiff open windows with them!im pretty heavy handed and ive never snapped a section ever and ive  been using xtremes for years now.

ive also dropped them loads of times!the metal clamping points are a really good upgrade reducing wear.

xtreme 25 is my everyday pole(i have lots of awkward windows over connys/extensions to clean on lots of my work and high first floor windows/3 storey etc)
price higher/work harder!

slap bash

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:53 pm »
If was buying a pole under 22 foot, I would buy a clx its only 120 grams more weight and has not effect at all. We are all take in with weight  and flex. Its a very expensive phobia. 120 grams is the weight a tube of tooth paste.

ChumBucket

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 08:31:27 pm »

I can't find any weights for the Phoenix poles on their website? ???

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 08:41:49 pm »
If was buying a pole under 22 foot, I would buy a clx its only 120 grams more weight and has not effect at all. We are all take in with weight  and flex. Its a very expensive phobia. 120 grams is the weight a tube of tooth paste.

I dont agree.lighter weight and better rigidity is everything when your poling all day,every day (esp on awkward windows at angles.)the xtremes are also super smooth to extend and retract due to the raised clamping points.

i noticed a significant difference when i used my slx 22 at angles a few months ago compared to my xtreme 25.it was harder work to scrub and rinse.multiply this over hundreds of days poling over the course of a few years and your putting more strain on arms,shoulders etc.

id rather pay the extra and save my body from  unnecessary strain.
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:35 pm »
@Vin

So which did you opt for in the end?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 10:33:44 pm »
@Vin

So which did you opt for in the end?

I was long-term testing the Xtreme to see if it would be a good purchase for the franchisees.  They each had a week with it then I used it as my everyday pole to see how it would wear and last.

Their opinion was that the weight gain wasn't worth it (though I disagree, see above - any weight gain has to reduce strain on joints, etc).  I didn't like the fact that it snapped after nine months.  So on balance we're opting for the SLX.

Vin