This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

keyser soze

should i bother?
« on: May 31, 2015, 03:19:43 pm »
got offered a contract .then a  newbie i mentored got his foot in the door and now i feel the contractor has used this to play me against him, do i forget the job and leave it to the newbie , which i m pretty confident will struggle with it , or do i plough on . this contract is a one off clean for 3500 houses , pretty big. which i originally had exclusive to me and a small network of sub contractor window cleaners. i'm tempted to tell the contractor to ram it as i don't need it....  any advice

Soupy

Re: should i bother?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:58 pm »
How is he playing you?
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Matt.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:33:10 pm »
Speak to contractor and tell him your best price if he wants it any lower then should try his hand with the newbie, and to give you a call as soon as he sees it's going down hill

keyser soze

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:09 pm »
this newbie  has given a price ,and according to the contractor has said if he thinks its too much then he can pay him less. how can you do that seriously .imo that puts the contractor in a very good position regarding pricing .

Soupy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:45:30 pm »
Don't get into a price war with a noob, especially one daft enough to tell a contractor to make up their own price.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »
Don't get into a price war with a noob, especially one daft enough to tell a contractor to make up their own price.

I agree with Soupy. Let this phase come to a conclusion without you.

Once it goes pear shaped, then start again on the terms and pricing you quoted.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:08:25 pm »
Stand your ground on price, he knows your level of service.
He also won't want the hassle of the cheaper guy letting him down when he's aware of the fact he can't drive, produce pure or never worked in the industry.
Good luck

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:10:13 pm »

I agree with Soupy. Let this phase come to a conclusion without you.

Once it goes pear shaped, then start again on the terms and pricing you quoted.

Agreed. But definitely walk away.
It's a game of three halves!

Phil J

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »
Can you afford  to compromise?  You've  got to look beyond the initial work. Just think how much work your going to pick-up once people start moving in and see you working on the estate.

pdale

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:12:30 pm »
I had a similar issue with a contract I had with another company (not window cleaning related). A big building contractor was trying to get me to lower my price by £5 of fire surrounds I used to supply, due to someone coming in cheaper. I refused, it just wasn't worth it. Turned out he was just using the other guy to call my bluff. He was happy with my service, knew we were reliable and never had any issues with past dealings with us. When he balanced that with the risk of taking on issues with a new supplier for the sake of saving £5 per unit he carried on with us.

Sometimes it works just to hold out, especially if you have a firm relationship with them.
Where am I knocking today?

keyser soze

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:28:11 pm »
tbh I'm really fed up with the newbie stepping into the fold more than anything.. I'm torn between letting the job  go and doing it because i know there is potential there . I'm so in 2 minds

Rich Wilts

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »

This is undoubtedly your starting point.

paulben

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:30 am »
I agree with Spruce . Tell contractor your price still stands then wait til newbie gets it all wrong . If newbie asks you to help him out say no . Hopefully you will then get contract back. As soon as people move in start canvasing.
Do not steal the government hates competition

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:50:07 am »
how an earth are you going to clean 3500 houses and keep up with your regular round? ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

SeanK

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 03:35:04 pm »
Plus why are they one off cleans ?

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 03:39:50 pm »
Council houses probably. I was offered similar once - windows and gutters of about 4000 properties. A contractor was roof cleaning or something and wanted the windows and gutter exteriors cleaned.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »
how an earth are you going to clean 3500 houses and keep up with your regular round? ::)roll

Keyser Soze  has a network of sub contracted window cleaners in place to back him up.

If Dave is on the right track, then this clean will take place over a period of time.

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:20 pm »
I agree with Spruce . Tell contractor your price still stands then wait til newbie gets it all wrong . If newbie asks you to help him out say no . Hopefully you will then get contract back. As soon as people move in start canvasing.

Of course there is nothing wrong with Keyser soze  sowing seeds of doubt in his customers head while he is 'washing his hands of the newbie's involvement.  :)

Looks like Keyser soze has a ring side seat for this performance.

The trouble is that fixing the disaster can sometimes take longer per job than had it been done right to begin with. So maybe this may also be another way of sowing seeds of doubt. If Keyser is called back to rectify the situation, the quoted price will now longer apply - it will be more.

keyser soze

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
its a council contract with a big company . my part is just the tip of the iceburg . the council has decided they need cleaning up . its a year to 3 year contract over a large area. of course they are trying to get the best deal. I've got 3 colleagues to help but was told i was the point of contact. and monies would come through me .now things have changed , i was looking forward to giving this a go and to see how it developed .  its a window clean , facia /gutter clean and vacuum the gutters contract . 

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 07:54:51 pm »
its a council contract with a big company . my part is just the tip of the iceburg . the council has decided they need cleaning up . its a year to 3 year contract over a large area. of course they are trying to get the best deal. I've got 3 colleagues to help but was told i was the point of contact. and monies would come through me .now things have changed , i was looking forward to giving this a go and to see how it developed .  its a window clean , facia /gutter clean and vacuum the gutters contract .

I sure can see the dilemma.