Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MisterC

Your policy on working with bad weather coming
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:59:13 pm »
Just looking at the forecast for tomorrow, looks ok but then late afternoon/evening rain and gale force winds into Tuesday.  Do you carry on working knowing that everything you have done will be ruined by tues morning or do you take the next two days off and crack on wed AM.
If you do carry on how do you deal with customers moans and groans?

Rich Wilts

Re: Your policy on working with bad weather coming
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »
Carry on. You run a business. You're not a charity. The weather forecast can be wrong. Customers take the rough with the smooth.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:31:20 pm »
Just looking at the forecast for tomorrow, looks ok but then late afternoon/evening rain and gale force winds into Tuesday.  Do you carry on working knowing that everything you have done will be ruined by tues morning or do you take the next two days off and crack on wed AM.
If you do carry on how do you deal with customers moans and groans?

Do you really know that they will be "ruined"?

I did a place about three weeks ago in wind and rain.  I was working on the back of a house on a hill and a violent squall started.  I did the front in driving rain and extremely strong wind.

I called the customer and explained that the results might not be wonderful.  They agreed to check the next morning and call me.  They did and said they were perfect.

The problem may only exist your mind.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:32:31 pm »
And another thing - someone on here pointed out that our job is to clean off four weeks of dirt, not to keep them clean for the next four weeks.

Vin

Soupy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »
You have to keep going within reason. What's the alternative? Arrange a day off every time the weather says it might rain?
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:46:16 pm »
Makes for an interesting read on people opinions on working in the wind.

I wont work in wind if i class it to be unsafe for me.

Working in strong winds,semi gales etc Crack on.....

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=194192.0

MisterC

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 01:55:27 pm »
Thanks for the advice and your thoughts guys.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 02:04:54 pm »
And another thing - someone on here pointed out that our job is to clean off four weeks of dirt, not to keep them clean for the next four weeks.

Vin

I like that, ta.

JackieW

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »

''Dear customer,

The service I provide is to clean off the previous month's accumulation of dirt that has formed on your windows.
I offer a  guarantee that immediately after I have cleaned them they will start to get dirty again.

Whether it is raining whilst I am removing the previous month's accumulation of dirt is of no consequence, apart from me getting wet.''

:)

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »
I won't start in the rain but if it starts when I'm out and about I'll crack on...until I'm absolutely drenched, cold, p1$$ed off and far from home. Then I'll think "stuff it".   ;D

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 03:20:28 pm »
Carry on regardless of weather.
At the the end of the day what's the difference between cleaning the windows on a sunny day then it's wind and rain the next, to actually cleaning in the wind and rain. Those windows you cleaned the day before will still be battered by the weather.
In the UK your always going to get wind and rain probably at least once a week so you may as well just get on with it.
As someone else mentioned the only time I call it a day is when I'm soaked down to my undies even with waterproofs on, then it just becomes uncomfortable to carry on.

Good news is by Wednesday this week high pressure is building in, could be 27c down here in south East by the end of the week!

Mike #1

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
I tend to work in bad weather as you get to work while you can and when I am on schedule I can enjoy the best weather in my garden

Tom-01

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 05:21:56 pm »
I said before that bills still have to be paid regardless of the rain, so I work regardless of the rain.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 05:27:37 pm »
I said before that bills still have to be paid regardless of the rain, so I work regardless of the rain.

+1

duncan h

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »
Customers don't like windows cleaning when its going to rain. Tell them all to move to warmer climates :) Lets face it. It rains 80% of the time. If its raining hard, I stay indoors. If it rains when out. I stop and start.
Hail stopped me a few times the other month. Everytime I went home the sun came out. How would a customer know what it was like when I cleaned the windows? If they are in, I  don't do them. If they are at work....crack on

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 10:19:37 pm »
Work on regardless.

I'll only draw the line at gale force winds and torrential rain non stop.

Anything else then I just stick the waterproofs on.

As has been said previously,  we could clean in the beautifull sunshine then a few hours later the weather gets terrible.

I only worry about what Is under my control and not what I have no control over.

Running my business and keeping to the schedule is what I can do. Control over the weather is something I haven't mastered yet.  :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

paulben

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:37 am »
When I started out if it looked like rain I wouldn't go out soon learned my lesson lost a few days when it never rained.
I hate getting wet so work til it rains finish off in rain but I don't start next one.( No mortgage rent  loans or kids at home  helps )as for wind wont use pole when it becomes hard to handle will work on bungalows trad til bucket with a gallon of water starts to blow along ground
Do not steal the government hates competition

gary999

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 09:32:41 am »
Forecast heavy rain and wind...lookingout of window bright sunshine,  apparent its coming
and that's all I need for an excuse for a day off ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:24 am »
I offer a 24hr rain gurantee. It's guaranteed to rain by the next day!

Just sat in my conservatory now drying out from the last downpour. Might nod off for half an hour and reassess the propects fo this afternoon.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
i work in all weathers if i have work due.i dont even think about it much these days.the only exceptions are gale force winds and prolonged heavy rain although ive been known to work in these extremes before now.heavy snow is another.thankfully its very rare in these parts. ;D

ive no work due til wednesday so chill out time for me before a very busy rest of the month workwise.

customers very rarely even mention me cleaning in bad weather as its a normal thing these days(esp the last 5 or 6 years)
price higher/work harder!