This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steve123

Its going to court, I dont even care if I win.
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:35:07 pm »
Whats the least amount you have taken anyone to court for?
I have a customer who has tried every trick in the book, promised to drop cash round, not got cash when ever I call, too ill to deliver, given cheques but not signed them, then when she did sign it the damn thing bounced.
I told her I would take her to court and she just laughed and said I would not bother for £52.
That was enough for me. it will cost me £25 to do it but first thing tomorrow I file it with small claims.
I dont care about the money its a principle now. i just want her to have some agro like I have had

chris turner

Re: Its going to court, I dont even care if I win.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:17:09 pm »
I wouldn't bother with the aggro personally.
Unless agreed in advance if someone owes 2 or more cleans I don't go back until they've paid up. If they don't ever pay then I don't ever go back and just write it off and find a better customer.
I don't go chasing debts, if they can't be bothered to pay then I can't be bothered to clean there windows,  simple.

I generally find they come crawling back though, in actual fact a couple of months ago I had a former customer ( who I'd not gone back to as she owed 2 cleans) come out and pay me what she owed, from over a year ago, and asked if I could add her to my rounds again if she pays upfront from now on. I agreed and she paid for the next 3 cleans upfront..

Nick Day

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:47 pm »
It is easy to do, but you must give seven days notice in writing...."if the money is not received by... time and date.. you will take legal action to recover the debt and all legal costs"
You will need proof of the debt.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:37:33 pm »
I'd never take anyone to court.

It's certainly not worth it for £52. 

If she's bounced a cheque, you have a cast-iron case.  However, if she's got nothing better to do and decides to defend the case, you're stuck at least half a day off work to go to court.  Then, if she says she can only afford £2 a week, what are you going to do?  Would it be worth chasing her up for her £2 every week? (and you know you'd have to chase her)  Then if she just stopped paying you your £2, what would you do?

Move on with a smile on your face.  Life's too short to waste it on her.

Vin

combat1

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:16 pm »
My bad debts run at about 3% per year, so £3 in every hundred.
I clean and dont clean again until I have been paid.
The worst case scenario is losing one clean.
I send statements at around three weeks overdue and most pay.
Most forget to pay. For the others I dont need them.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:22 pm »
I bet she is less bothered about it than you are.

You are the only one stressed out about it. You are the one who will end up with ulcers, not her. You are actually poisoning your self.  She is just the catalyst. You can be in control, not her.

I'm with Vin on this one.

Life's too short to waste it on her. As you get older you will appreciate the  truth of these words more and more.

Move on with a smile on your face. You can hold your head up as you have done nothing wrong - she has.

And thankfully, these customers are few and far between. I would do an extra couple of cleans a day to clear the debt in my head, then write it off.

And yes, in 12 years of window cleaning we have had one like her.  Just one. Thankfully I went on my gut feel and only cleaned once. We usually let it go the 2 and then no more until payment is received.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Nick Day

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:55 pm »
This is purely for info...you will not be required to go to court. you put your case in writing, she puts hers...job done.
Its okay for people to say they cannot be bothered... they just make the problem bigger. There seems to be an undercurrent of people who know that you cannot be bothered. Everybody needs to make a stand. Working for nothing is a bummer, and you should not stand for it!!

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:38 pm »
This is purely for info...you will not be required to go to court. you put your case in writing, she puts hers...job done.
Its okay for people to say they cannot be bothered... they just make the problem bigger. There seems to be an undercurrent of people who know that you cannot be bothered. Everybody needs to make a stand. Working for nothing is a bummer, and you should not stand for it!!

Sorry mate but you will have to go to court and as somebody who did make a stand I would say forget about it, for
that sort of money its not worth it.
You will spend x amount sitting waiting for your case to be heard she will tell the judge that she wasn't happy with the way
the windows where cleaned or some other crap and the judge will either award it in your favour or hers.
Even if it goes in your favour there's still no guarantee that you will ever see it.

SeanK

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:09:13 pm »
PS your case will be in front of every other person who is in the small claims court that day, total nightmare.

cat9921

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 08:30:25 pm »
Whats the least amount you have taken anyone to court for?
I have a customer who has tried every trick in the book, promised to drop cash round, not got cash when ever I call, too ill to deliver, given cheques but not signed them, then when she did sign it the damn thing bounced.
I told her I would take her to court and she just laughed and said I would not bother for £52.
That was enough for me. it will cost me £25 to do it but first thing tomorrow I file it with small claims.
I dont care about the money its a principle now. i just want her to have some agro like I have had

Dose she have a cat  ::)roll  Run it over  ;D

or

Just move on son she is not worth it  :)

bobplum

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:44:03 pm »
HOW MANY CLEANS WAS IT STEVE

Nick Day

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:11 pm »
Once again, if you use the online system, you do not go to court!! It is all done on line.

MNWC

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »

SeanK

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 09:02:29 pm »
Once again, if you use the online system, you do not go to court!! It is all done on line.

That's only if the person admits to owing you the money if not you still have to go to court.

SeanK

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:44 pm »
Better still that person could admit liability but say she cant afford to pay you the full amount, its then up to you
to say what she pays and how she pays it until its all recovered.
If she doesn't agree to this then you go to court and if the judge thinks you where unreasonable they could award the case in
her favour.
The whole things a joke.

duncan h

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 09:27:34 pm »
PS your case will be in front of every other person who is in the small claims court that day, total nightmare.
No you don't. Not were I live anyway.
You and her may be sat by a table.
I say do it. She will end up with a CCJ.
She wrote a bounced cheque, so cant say unhappy with clean

SeanK

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »

Just speaking from experience, funny enough that's what my solicitor told me before taking action, you will just
be in a room together.
Maybe it depends on the day.

SeanK

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »

Your honour I wrote him a cheque even though I knew it would bounce because I wanted to get him away from my front door
as he was getting aggressive.
Nothing is straight forward in a court case.

rosskesava

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 10:04:16 pm »

I'm one of those who couldn't be bothered.

I couldn't be bothered enough about it in the first place to get that wound up by it in the second. I've got much better things to fill my head with than those types of thoughts.

The decent customers far outweigh the very few who take advantage.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

slap bash

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:07 pm »
WEll done some one sticking to his guns and thanks for showing the customer window cleaners don`t take crap. I really mean it for to many  just walk away and the customer know we windies are easy pray. We will do nothing as we are spineless bunch. If we stole there hose pipe they would do something about it. For sure.