Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tom White

Re: DIY Controller (for under £15) Instructions...
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 07:11:18 pm »
Nice work

It's dead easy, Poleking; you just make sure you get circular switches and voltmeters; then it's just a case of drilling (not cutting) the holes where you want your items to go.

These - seriously - do not give the same problems that off the shelf flow controllers do.  There's no re-calibration needed, just because it's warmed up a bit (or gotten colder) and it's quite happy to run on a sub-standard battery without cutting out.

My original one must be about a year old now; not one single problem; it just does what I want it to do - control the flow.

PoleKing

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »
Ive just got my flow controller back from my mate who's repaired it.
Gratis.

Its about 3 years old now and I've not a problem other than this.
I'll see how it goes and if it packs up, I'll do what you & CC have done.
Still unsure on the split charger.
I'd like to use the one I've bought. I'll try it at the weekend and see how we go.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

CleanClear

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

Here you go.  I think it looks a bit confusing, but it's pretty straightforward.  The meter wires are the thinner ones bottom right of the picture as you see it.  You see the black one goes to the post on the far right (with the other negatives) and the red one goes to the middle post. 

The red wire on the far left is power in post (from the battery) and if you attached it to this one, the meter would be on all the time, even when the pump was switched off.

It's a bit of a bodge job, 'cos that's the kind of person I am, I'm afraid.  :'(

I can think of a few improvements for my next one though.

I wired one up, and done same as your diagram. I found it a bit of a pain putting two then three wires together on the switch terminal. Then it dawned on me, after the event (normal for me !! :-) ), the voltmeter wires can just go to the terminals on the switchboard itself (the two right hand ones), it'll be much easier this way.

Also the controller in my van today was flashing up "batt", still working ok, but still flashing up. It also showed a voltage of 12.4v. I brought the battery in to test this new controller out and the voltmeter on the controller i just made showed 12.7v . I tested the accuracy of this with a multimeter, and the multimeter showed 12.7V. I realise my van controller may need rewiring with good contacts, so the point i'm making is just them small voltmeters are accurate.

I'm very happy with the result, and just about to order a few more bits to make some more up , cheers Tosh !!   :-)
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Tom White

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 11:40:00 pm »
No problem and cheers for the tip for how to wire the voltmeter too; you're right; it'd be much easier on the circuit board.

DeLuce

Re: DIY Controller Instructions...
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »
Looks good mate, good post

When you say only needs calibrating once, how do you calibrate it?
I'm assuming it runs off the pumps pressure switch, so wouldn't need 'calibrating', just a pressure change on the p/s itself?

Thanks; yes, you're right - thanks for clarifying my post.  Just the pump's pressure switch would need calibrating.

For those who don't know, just connect hose reel to pump, and pole to hose reel and turn it on.

At the bottom of your pump (on a Shurflo anyway) there's a hexagonal 'nut' where the arrow is pointing:

Just adjust that so the water flows nicely - your normal working flow - yet when you 'dead end' the flow (whichever method you use to stop the flow), the pump shuts down pretty much straight away.

I've only ever had to do this once, unlike my old electronic flow controllers, which made me do it if the temperature changed.
I've got my box working OK, the only niggle being that I'm having a job calibrating shut off. I've tried adjusting the allen key at the base but can't get it to shut off any quicker than 14secs, with screw fully in to fully out! What do you think I'm doing wrong? I have the wires attached to the pressure switch connections. Any thing I've missed do you think? ???

Tom White

Re: DIY Controller Instructions...
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »
I've got my box working OK, the only niggle being that I'm having a job calibrating shut off. I've tried adjusting the allen key at the base but can't get it to shut off any quicker than 14secs, with screw fully in to fully out! What do you think I'm doing wrong? I have the wires attached to the pressure switch connections. Any thing I've missed do you think? ???

Have you tried winding the hexy screw all the way in and work outwards from there?  Yes, you have.  I think mine is about halfway.

Are you sure your pressure switch is okay?  They cost about £2.50 to replace and they're very easy to do.

DeLuce

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2015, 01:12:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Tosh.  Yeah, I've done that. I will give it another go though. Cheers.
Then if no joy, I'll get a switch.

Tom White

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »
Another tip would be to take the pressure switch apart, the plastic housing.  Do it carefully over something so if any bits fall out, like a spring, you don't lose them.

Then you can see what effect the turning of the hexy screw has on the switch.

DeLuce

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2015, 01:37:07 pm »
OK thanks. I'll try my previous post first. Then do as above if no joy. 👍

jk999

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2015, 02:19:18 pm »
Tosh  quick  question  for you you have red and black wire  from pump n red and black from battery which  switch do you wire pump  to and which  switch  do you  wire battery  to cheers  kev

Tom White

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2015, 02:39:47 pm »
Tosh  quick  question  for you you have red and black wire  from pump n red and black from battery which  switch do you wire pump  to and which  switch  do you  wire battery  to cheers  kev

I don't think it matters what wire you use to run to your pressure switch; it just breaks the connection when the pressure builds up.

This might help though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Y9TfLUm98

jk999

Re: dIY Controller (for under £15) Instructions...
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:16 pm »
You have the on off switch  and the pulse  width switch I mean the live and earth  switch  from pump and earth  and live from  battery  Which  switch  does  each item wire up to sorry for all questions

DeLuce

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »
All sorted. Went back to screw fully in and worked my way out. It now cuts off after 3secs.  ;D
Here's some pics of my box. Thanks for the help.

DeLuce

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »
JK,  your red /black pump wires go to the two left connections of the bank of four  on the circuit board (look underneath for +\- .
The battery connections,to the rocker switch one on the left,one on the right. Then + load wire from centre pin on switch to far right connection on circuit board.

jk999

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2015, 03:38:46 pm »
Nice one cheers lads

DeLuce

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »
Wires on left from pump. Wires on right from battery. Negative batt (on right) on the switch and on same pin, Negative from switch to 3rd connection on circuit board.
Positive wire from middle pin on switch to far right on circuit board.

jk999

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2015, 04:34:32 pm »
 :)cheers

Tom White

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »
All sorted. Went back to screw fully in and worked my way out. It now cuts off after 3secs.  ;D
Here's some pics of my box. Thanks for the help.

Looks good; don't like the green button though; red is better.  Red's always better than green, even with running shoes.  You go faster in red ones.

DeLuce

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2015, 05:27:05 pm »
Lol. It's a blue one. I always run faster if there's a blue light on  ;D