Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

Pricing jobs - how do you do it ?
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:12:41 pm »
5 years back when I first started I read on this forum about having a minimum price and using £1 a window to calculate prices. TBH its this info that prob helped me the most and possibly would have jacked in within a few months without it due to messing up pricing / earnings.

However nowadays I rarely even count windows these days and just look at it and come up with a price also last 4 months or so when pricing I go in high (least I think I do ?) and have attitude of not worried if it comes my way or not.

EG Priced up a big £1.5 million house yesterday afternoon which has to be done trad as frames are too old and leaky for wfp (my suggestion not the customer) and still happy to use ladders occasionally ... anyway doing email quote last night and was about to send it when thought do I really need this job ?? so added another £50 to the price with attitude if it comes off then fine if not never mind.

Who still works off so much per window ?

Is £1 a window still valid ?

Down south is it more like £2 a window ?

How do you price and do you still get most jobs you quote for ?

Do you find certain types of house / areas have a maximum ceiling price ?  

cgh window cleaning

Re: Pricing jobs - how do you do it ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:00 pm »
People were pricing £1 a window 10-15 years ago so for me this formula is outdated.
For me there is no right or wrong way when it comes to pricing ,every job is different.

The only thing I stick by is If you get every job you price your to cheap.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »
i just go off gut , usually works out fine , but been doing this for a while now

Ive had my fair share of underpriced work , evry now and again im slightly under but others are over by alot so it averages out , and i aim to be compact so that helps too

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:19 pm »
The £1 a window seemed to be the aim when I started five years ago, not sure that was really in effect 15 years ago, anyway £1 is a bit of a barrier, it's a nice round figure, easy to calculate and a house with 8 windows is not overly expensive to the customer.

What I tend to do now is view the property and location of windows while still using the number of windows as a reference point. Then price accordingly, with refining cleaning techniques, getting more customers in an area and staff it now takes less time to clean a house than it did 2 to 3 years ago.

So, a simple access semi will work out at the magic £ while a similar house with access issues for a reach over an extension would be more, all prices + 30 to 50% if wanting 8 wky rather than 4 wky.

We now have tracking on the vans and the van has to hit an average hourly rate inc travelling times.
This has been very revealing in the argument of 1 man 1 van or 2 men 1 van - now all the guys go out singly !

So in short, it's not just an x amount for a window...! I get around 70% of everything I go and quote, usually get 0% if forced to give price over phone or leave a quote through the door

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

NWH

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:21 pm »
I always add a bit on for luck lol

Deangsi

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
I always add a bit on for luck lol

Do you clean out the back of a transit tipper with galvanised sides ;D

Bungle

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:20:05 pm »
5 years back when I first started I read on this forum about having a minimum price and using £1 a window to calculate prices. TBH its this info that prob helped me the most and possibly would have jacked in within a few months without it due to messing up pricing / earnings.

However nowadays I rarely even count windows these days and just look at it and come up with a price also last 4 months or so when pricing I go in high (least I think I do ?) and have attitude of not worried if it comes my way or not.

EG Priced up a big £1.5 million house yesterday afternoon which has to be done trad as frames are too old and leaky for wfp (my suggestion not the customer) and still happy to use ladders occasionally ... anyway doing email quote last night and was about to send it when thought do I really need this job ?? so added another £50 to the price with attitude if it comes off then fine if not never mind.

I find it odd that you have trouble pricing how much to charge to clean a houses windows, but know how much the actual house is worth.
We look at them, they look through them.

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:26:53 pm »

So how much was your price before you decided to bump another £50 on top? And at what frequency is the clean?
We look at them, they look through them.

Ste M

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:53:27 pm »
I price on time, I gauge how long the job will take and take things like access, travel time, if its by compact work or not and then price from there. Simple and works for me

Ian101

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:03:54 am »

I find it odd that you have trouble pricing how much to charge to clean a houses windows, but know how much the actual house is worth.
[/quote]

nowt odd about it ... any large properties I will  google earth them before I go to quote and an old advert from rightmove came up in search results with price on ....

no trouble with pricing ... didn't mention anything to do with trouble pricing in my post ??? ... just bunged another £50 on top of my normal pricing

Mick Kent

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:05:39 am »
I price on time too. X amount per hour glass time,

Ian101

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 12:08:45 am »

So how much was your price before you decided to bump another £50 on top? And at what frequency is the clean?
[/quote]

offered various prices with various frequencies, monthly, bi and tri with different prices and a higher price for the first clean ... actual amount not really important from a topic point of view.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 06:04:09 am »
I always price the job based on a few different things, number of windows, length of time to clean, frequency, access, location/area, competition, do I want it?

We have gone in cheap on some big commercial work and still not got it and also gone in expensive on work we were not really bothered about and got it.

Many of the window cleaners around here (Northumberland/Newcastle) are still doing windows for peanuts, they do a good job but are just not really making a viable living for themselves.  There are certain towns and areas around us where we don't even bother pricing as I know we will be at least double or treble what others are pricing work for.

Just won a contract for a weekly clean of a shopping arcade which I know 4 other companies were also looking at, priced that one on length of time to clean (2 guys 4 hours)

SeanK

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 07:00:26 am »
I just price on the time I think it will take me to clean the property, I only offer 6 weekly and don't
charge extra for first cleans.
If I find that I have under priced a job ( more of a new start problem ) then I clean away for the first year and
up it to the right price the following year.
Don't do one offs unless they are within my round, I then charge extra depending on the state of the frames
and will only clean them if I have time to fit them in.

Window Lickers

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 07:38:41 am »
I just price on the time I think it will take me to clean the property, I only offer 6 weekly.

So if you price a property and it turns out to be £100 because of its size, the customer declines that at 6 weekly but says they think they'd like a 3 monthly frequency, you decline the work?
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Positivity

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 08:17:52 am »
Some areas round here you are doing well to get £1 a window!!!!!

Ste M

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 08:22:28 am »
I also never charge more or less depending on the size or value of the house, i have set figures i want to hit per hour and thats it, the only way I will make more is if I manse to clean it quicker which usually happens after a few cleans. I have before today dropped my price on some houses as Ive ended up cleaning them a lot quicker than I initially thought, I find this type of honesty to pay dividends as they stay loyal and then recommend me on so I end up with more work. I don't canvass or advertise, all my work is through word of mouth or by people seeing me

lal

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 09:08:10 am »
I just price on the time I think it will take me to clean the property, I only offer 6 weekly and don't
charge extra for first cleans.
If I find that I have under priced a job ( more of a new start problem ) then I clean away for the first year and
up it to the right price the following year.
Don't do one offs unless they are within my round, I then charge extra depending on the state of the frames
and will only clean them if I have time to fit them in.

Hi SeanK, you say you don't charge extra for first cleans, is this on the basis that the first clean customer has verbally
agreed to a 6 weekly clean, because many shiners have been caught out with this one, and it can end up being a oneoff.

Lal

LWC

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 09:23:26 am »
I still go with roughly £1 a window, works well for me.

duncan h

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 09:36:21 am »
It still baffles me on how much people think we should charge. Did one yesterday. Bungalow with an odd dormer on top. Easy job and frames were spotless. 2 women about 60. I don't usually but I did on this occasion. I asked how much she wanted to pay. She went white, looked cross and said "well it depends" I went through the, it cleans frames etc spool. "yes I know all this" lol. £9 love, is that ok. The as over the moon and said she would pay £10. I say £10 to others and they say I used to pay £3 lmfao. Goes to show.
My step mum pays £3.50 for a semi. She said hes a p head and its beer money for him. Cant compete with that. Time to ban ladders, then we can cream it in