This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Gary Barker

Bank Accounts - personal or Business??
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:34:36 pm »
Hi there

I'm new to this game and am just a bout to invrest in a van with WFP system and a second hand Sky Vac gutter clearer.  My question is simple: Is it a absolutely necessary to open a Business Bank Account or can I use my personal account just for starters. 

My gut feeling is that I could be getting lots of lower value cheques and payments in by BACS which can actually cost you money in the case of a Business Account.  I Bank with HSBC (First Direct) for my joint personal account with my wife. 

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Clever Forum Name

Re: Bank Accounts - personal or Business??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »
For ease of use get a business account.

Accept no less than 18months FREE banking. When that is up, swap accounts.

OR

Look at santander accounts.

I pay £7.50 to santander a month and post all my cheques.

I pay £6.80 to Barclays a month and they handle all my BACS

I bank all cash in personal account then TRANSFER over to barclays labeled "business cash"

So bank charges are less than £15 a month now.

They were close to £75!

ChumBucket

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »
You don't have to have a business bank account. You can just use a personal one.

ChumBucket

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
I pay nothing to pay all my cheques in- approx 50 per month. I pay nothing for BACS handling either. In fact I pay ZERO bank charges for anything & do all my business banking via my personal & joint account & have do for over ten years hassle free. ;) You do the maths ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:54:28 pm »
I pay nothing to pay all my cheques in- approx 50 per month. I pay nothing for BACS handling either. In fact I pay ZERO bank charges for anything & do all my business banking via my personal & joint account & have do for over ten years hassle free. ;) You do the maths ;D

When they ask who to make the cheque payable to i much prefer quoting a business name as to a personal name.

ChumBucket

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

When they ask who to make the cheque payable to i much prefer quoting a business name as to a personal name.

My personal name IS my business name. ;) Think along the lines of "Dave Morris" window cleaning.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

My personal name IS my business name. ;) Think along the lines of "Dave Morris" window cleaning.

Depends on your Christian name and surname. Personally my name wouldn't suit a business name. Plus I can't stand personal names for business's

Nothing worse than going shopping with the missus and we have to go to Karen Miller. Cringe.

But that's what great about being self employed. No right or wrong way.

PoleKing

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

Depends on your Christian name and surname. Personally my name wouldn't suit a business name. Plus I can't stand personal names for business's

Nothing worse than going shopping with the missus and we have to go to Karen Miller. Cringe.

Is that a Chinese knock off of Karen Millen?   ;D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

slap bash

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »
I use  personal account only one customer ask me why, just said I cannot afford a business account.One of the advisers at the bank told me to stick to a personal account and when my business  get very big change to a business a/c.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

Is that a Chinese knock off of Karen Millen?   ;D

Haha. Lovely autocorrect for you.

Matt.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 01:33:43 pm »
Stay where you are for now, see how next 6 months go and then make a decision based on how you get paid

Bay View WCS

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »
I have used my personal account for years with no issues.

Cheers, Tom

deeege

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »
For ease of use get a business account.

Accept no less than 18months FREE banking. When that is up, swap accounts.

Couldn't be bothered to keep swapping accounts for the sake of saving £20 a month. Sending out letters to customers telling them of a change of bank details. Commercial customers using it as an excuse to delay payment. Dealing with national companies massive accounts departments etc etc. Not for me that.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Neil Jones

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
Santander business £12.50 PCM.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
tried business banking but was a nightmare , stayed with personal

If your a one man band , cant see why its a problem

NWH

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 08:16:16 pm »
You don't have to have a business bank account. You can just use a personal one.

No you can't not if you are trading as a business most will charge you £25 a month,I was also paying around £70 a month before I contacted them and said this can't be right lol.

ChumBucket

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »

No you can't not if you are trading as a business most will charge you £25 a month,I was also paying around £70 a month before I contacted them and said this can't be right lol.

Here we go, entrepeneur of the year has spoken!! ::)roll

No you can't? Well I must have been living a dream for the last ten years then!! ::)roll

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:24 pm »

Trading AS is simply that. You can call yourself WHATEVER you want. Tax bill comes in your name. different story when you are limited.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »
I've only got to show I'm online and I gets Cumbuckets goat lol,my bank toold me I couldn't run a business from a current account simple as that

ChumBucket

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
I've only got to show I'm online and I gets Cumbuckets goat lol,my bank toold me I couldn't run a business from a current account simple as that

A lot of people tell you a lot of things, funny that eh? ::)roll

Do you have your own brain Nige?