This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Perfect Windows

The Great British Window Cleaners
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:45 am »
Anyone had an email from this lot?

Familiar story, national route to quality window cleaners, blah, blah, blah.  Get a link to you on our website; we'll be advertising all over the country, blah, blah, blah, social media, blah, blah, blah, top quality window cleaners only, blah, blah, blah, £250 a year (!) discounted for you as an early member to £200 etc, etc, ad nauseam.

www.thegreatbritishwindowcleaners.com

Should I feel special because I've been singled out for my outstanding pulchritude* or is it just another email blunderbuss shot to trap people who haven't seen this kind of money-making scheme before? (For example, see http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=140481.0 and http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=182003.0 )

Vin

*Look it up; I had to.

Clever Forum Name

Re: The Great British Window Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:01:35 am »
Having a quick search. At least 4 companies who post on here use it.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:32:45 am »
Our details are on there along with some text mercilessly lifted from our website, so listed on there ≠ paying to be listed on there.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »
Just me, it would seem.  Beware when it arrives.

Vin

deeege

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:36 pm »
There has been a similar spammy email going sbout this week from a well known Solar panel cleaning guru. Part with your hard earned cash to learn what you could train a monkey to do in about 5 minutes. Anybody else receive the same?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:24:29 pm »
think its owned by a Guy Lupton

http://khameleonwindowcleaning.com/

C o z y

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:52 am »
Looks the mutt's nuts to me Vin. I'm putting my house up for sale so I can pay the next 50 years in advance.!!

Love it when bargains like these come along. I'll have to invest heavily in new vehicles and gear, but I know it'll be worth it  8)
No still don't understand, I must be thick

C o z y

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:33:31 am »
Oh no!!! They don't cover mainland Europe.  :( :'(
No still don't understand, I must be thick

PoleKing

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 07:36:36 am »
There has been a similar spammy email going sbout this week from a well known Solar panel cleaning guru. Part with your hard earned cash to learn what you could train a monkey to do in about 5 minutes. Anybody else receive the same?

What date are you going? ;D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:24:12 am »
Oh no!!! They don't cover mainland Europe.  :( :'(

You'll just have to find a different way to spunk your money away.

Vin

Guy L

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »
Hi Vin

Thanks for bringing this up, I have been wondering whether it was a topic for this forum.

The Great British Window Cleaners was set up by me. I have a window cleaning company as Ian pointed out, I have a marketing and advertising background, and I have met and spoken to a quite a few window cleaners who feel the same way as I do about the professionalism of this business. I am also aware of a fair number of directory sites for window cleaners but it seems the only people who know about them are window cleaners. So, a bit pointless.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about how easy it is to get into this business and how a lot of newcomers, whatever method used, don’t do any favours for the people who try to take it seriously and approach it in a professional manner. So, the logical thing for me was/is to find a number of window cleaners who feel the same about it and all put some money into the pot every month which we can then use to promote the site so it doesn’t stay unknown like the others. I would also like to make a bit of profit, obviously!

I invested in getting the logo trademarked which isn’t a completely straightforward process when there is a representation of the Union Jack involved, and I have registered a limited company which involved consulting the DTI for approval due to the words Great British. At the moment I am trying to find potential members. The subs are not set in stone because I need to know what the market will stand. But they need to be set at a level whereby we have enough income to use to advertise and promote the site, while low enough to be affordable. I figured that around £25 a month is probably a couple of cleans max, so hopefully affordable for most.

The majority of the listings on the site at the moment probably don’t know they are on there, and will be removed immediately on request, as yours was. The idea is not to say ‘these people subscribe’, but to give an indication of what the site does, and to mock up listings. All the businesses on the site were chosen because they appear to fit the style of window cleaners we are looking for, and the information on the individual listing was taken from their websites because it reflects exactly what they say about their business and cannot be construed as anything other than supportive.

Of course it will not be for everyone, and I totally respect that. It certainly doesn’t require anyone to invest in any extra kit or vehicles.

In the first instance we need to populate the site. Without that there’s no point in promoting it because there will be nothing for visitors to see. As yet, we have not charged anyone for anything but if we get enough people on board to start promoting it then we would have to charge because there will be above the line activity we need to pay for.

In the meantime the pages are optimised and we can see from the activity on the site that visitors are stumbling across it and having a look.

I am always happy to have a chat about it, so it’s a bit of a shame you are warning people to beware.

Regards
Guy

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 03:41:58 pm »
Guy,

Thanks for the detail.  The "beware" element of my response is just that.  Beware - "be cautious or alert to risks or dangers".  I've not said, "don't do it"; I've said, "Be alert".

You're not the first person to have come on here with this idea.  I hope it succeeds; I love success.  However, this idea hasn't worked even once in the past, and plenty of people have been burned (just look at the first thread linked above).  I know that you're doing it differently so this time it'll work but so did they.  Newbies on here might not know that, so I've given them a clear message.  Beware.  Think before parting with money.

On a point of fact, as far as I can see you're not offering £25 a month.  The minimum you appear to be offering is £75 for three months.  The risk is not £25 but a minimum of £75.  You're also (quite rightly) trying to get people to prepay even longer membership, so for some the minimum risk will be even farther in excess of £25.

Good luck but it's not for me and I still suggest that people look hard before deciding.

Vin

tlwcs

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
Hi Guy, I to wish you well however in your second paragraph is ware I dissagree.
I like the newcomers and unprofessional people as they have very little impact on my business/service and make me look more professional.
This industry will always attract undesirables but also the customers who use them and I fail to see how paying you to be on a national webpage will change this.
Tony

Guy L

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »
Thanks Vin

Of course people should look into things before they part with their money, and I completely understand the other points you make. I am sure I am not the only one who has spent reasonable sums on local advertising, and I know I'm not the only one to have wasted hundreds trialling YELL. Every time we do it there's a risk we'll get nothing back - but we still try.

I appreciate your feedback because without people saying what they think, in a constructive manner, it's very difficult to judge how to position things and if it's worth going on with. I guess it all comes down to making a judgement call as to what, or how much, someone is prepared to risk on a 'punt'.

I don't have the ready funds to spend on tens of thousands of leaflets and advertising at the moment, but I am quite happy to let people list for free if they send me their details, with the stipulation that the Great British Window Cleaners logo cannot be used unless it's a paid for membership, and they must meet the criteria. If we get to a meaningful level of population on the site then we'll have to discuss the cost of membership and how it's paid. If that takes a year or so, then so be it. I am happy to optimise pages, let it work itself in Google and so on, and perhaps the members will even talk about it and spread the word.

The cliche we all hear from customers is that it's hard to find a good window cleaner, yet to us cleaners there seems to be another one on every street corner. All I am trying to do is find a way for 'the good window cleaners' to get themselves found. Prior to window cleaning I spent 12 years in marketing and advertising, and with the experience of the window cleaning business I believe I have a good foundation for helping this be more than just another online directory waiting to be stumbled across.

Anyway, all the best Vin, and thanks again for your comments. They are helpful.

Guy

Guy L

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »
Hi Tony

Yes I agree with you about the newcomers and unprofessional people. I still actively run my window cleaning business hands on and you are right, they have no impact on us. But, I still like to get our name out there and find it difficult to find a good advertising medium that works well, other than door knocking and leaflets.

From the website perspective, it's not so much a national thing - and I am with you in thinking a national site wouldn't change much. But, you can put in your town/postcode and the results will be the ten cleaners nearest you. So you have a choice and the opportunity to get a couple of quotes if you are that way inclined. Alternatively you can search by county and so on.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.
All the best
Guy