This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

heating ideas for winter?
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:52 am »
Has anyone any ideas on stopping water freezing in van? i have no access to mains power living in a flat.

i can get plenty of old car batteries though, possible to rig up a 12v heating element in tank on van for overnight?

what about d.i vessels will they freeze if left on van?

Deangsi

Re: heating ideas for winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:35:03 am »
My dad used to be a flat roofer before window cleaner and every morning he would hold his gas torch in the back doors and blast a flame for 2 mins lol don't worry he knew what he was doing. Used to thore everything out in 2 mins lol

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:06 am »
Has anyone any ideas on stopping water freezing in van? i have no access to mains power living in a flat.

i can get plenty of old car batteries though, possible to rig up a 12v heating element in tank on van for overnight?

what about d.i vessels will they freeze if left on van?

Do you just use di ? the water in it will freeze and expand if cold enough possibly causing damage.
If so , isolate tank, drain pump and hose and remove the di at night.

jk999

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:19 am »
Find someone who will let you leave it at their property on real cold nights use their electric  for a radiator  and in return  clean their windows  for  free

andyM

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:35:12 am »
Disconnect your pump and run dry, and purge the water from hoses, cover the water tank and di vessel with an old duvet or sleeping bag.
If possible fill your tank in the morning with warm tap water before going through the di, that should keep you going most of the day.
One of the Plebs

Mist A Bit

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »
you can get a propane heater not to expensive or a propex heater would be perfect but is expensive. when i first started i didnt have electric near van so just put calorgas heater in back

duncan h

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »
The inside of your van shouldn't get cold enough to freeze water. A simple dust sheet will keep it quite a few deg warmer.

jonpeachey

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:21 pm »
If you get a 8 litre lpg heater fitted, you can preheat the water to a reasonable level, which then acts as a radiator in the van, job done.
I tend to preheat 100 litres over night, then fill in the morning, that tends to be the optimum time for preheating, maybe 15 min
The water doesn't have to be really hot, just warm enough to hold the temp above freezing through the night.
Hope that helps!
Jon

Rob Knapman

Knapman Cleaning services, washing glass since 1945

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:11 pm »
Fit an emmer so heater, it works for me .

mac74

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »
Propex hs2000

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »
The inside of your van shouldn't get cold enough to freeze water. A simple dust sheet will keep it quite a few deg warmer.

Duncan, that was funny man. :-) where abouts on the cosa del sol are you?
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

tonycarr

T & J Window Cleaning services

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »
ill probably have to wing it this winter with old duvets and blankets lol and hope, have to get sorted for next year

colin bird

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 05:37:14 am »
I didn't heat my van first year I started,used to wrap,filters and pump in duvets,went out one morning both 20 inch filters housings cracked due to water froze,.
As other posts drain down where possible,if not,wrap in duvets and blankets,and be lucky

andyM

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:20 am »

Duncan, that was funny man. :-) where abouts on the cosa del sol are you?

;D
One of the Plebs

Avo

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 07:54:37 am »

Scrimble

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 08:12:23 am »
drive van into unit, shut door, done