This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

buzzing

Re: cleaning gutters on old house with a ladder?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:59 am »
buy a standoff cant beat them for the price they bring u out away from the house, secure u better and balance u better for the sake of 30-40 quid u cant beat them slip matt at the bottom

Got a standoff and rubber ladder matts, put the standoff against the brickwork?   To foot the ladder, does someone just stand on the bottom rung of the ladder?

richywilts

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 12:48:31 am »
id much rather a hugh plantpot behind me than a slip matt on slippery surface but only everyday normal surfaces id rather a slipmatt than nothing
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

gary999

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:04 am »
I do gutter clearing as a living not just an addon to window cleaning so I like to do it as safely and as easily as I can. I also clear roof gulleys too when required as is a bit pointless just trying to clear gutters when they look like this.

like the standoff on the roof idea...I normally just stick a a bag of sand on
the ladder and I have those flexible large rubber  safety feet on the ladder.

Smurf

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:36:38 am »
I find having the ladder positioned higher than the gutters like that makes the job so much easier and safer to do.

I do gutter clearing as a living not just an addon to window cleaning so I like to do it as safely and as easily as I can. I also clear roof gulleys too when required as is a bit pointless just trying to clear gutters when they look like this.

like the standoff on the roof idea...I normally just stick a a bag of sand on
the ladder and I have those flexible large rubber  safety feet on the ladder.

Smurf

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
I would rather turn up to a gutter job and when needed to get my ladders of the van use a ladder safety device that is already fitted to the ladder that I know is going to work no matter what surface I'm working on. The legs on the ankalad folds flat to the stiles so is quick to set up and with the microlite standoff combined makes a very stable ladder platform to work from.

id much rather a hugh plantpot behind me than a slip matt on slippery surface but only everyday normal surfaces id rather a slipmatt than nothing

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 09:33:16 am »
the proper way to work safely off a ladder is either to have it tethered to an eye bolt in the wall or have it footed by a mate, harness with a short lanyard so that you still have three points of contact as you clean the gutter, short pole with a gutter tool so you can get it all from one position and something to hang a bucket off the top of your ladder
don't spend the money you earn from this, put it into a pot towards a gutter vac, you can get something good enough for 2 storey domestics for £300 ish from guttercleaningsystems

Graham

I've been looking for a Sky/Satellite dish installers harness and short Lanyard but they aren't that common. The harnesses that secure from the back are the common ones. The harness I'm wanting it secured from the front.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 10:30:18 am »
hi Spruce
google-the safety supply company, they have harnesses with front D rings

Graham

Window Lickers

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 10:57:11 am »
We rest ladder on gutter in those situations, you'll be absolutly fine, all you need to do is be vigilante and carefull

That's nuts. Absolutely.

Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Window Lickers

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 10:59:02 am »
buy a standoff cant beat them for the price they bring u out away from the house, secure u better and balance u better for the sake of 30-40 quid u cant beat them slip matt at the bottom

This is what we use as well as someone footing the ladder.

I have hammered a piece of 4" x 2" into decking before now at the foot of the ladder to stop it slipping.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Smurf

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »
I  have this gear too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JSxy43fnPA
cssworksafe

the proper way to work safely off a ladder is either to have it tethered to an eye bolt in the wall or have it footed by a mate, harness with a short lanyard so that you still have three points of contact as you clean the gutter, short pole with a gutter tool so you can get it all from one position and something to hang a bucket off the top of your ladder
don't spend the money you earn from this, put it into a pot towards a gutter vac, you can get something good enough for 2 storey domestics for £300 ish from guttercleaningsystems

Graham

I've been looking for a Sky/Satellite dish installers harness and short Lanyard but they aren't that common. The harnesses that secure from the back are the common ones. The harness I'm wanting it secured from the front.

Smurf

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 04:08:42 pm »
I've completed many gutter clearing jobs using ladders were the surfaces have been very slippery including decking no probs with an ankalad & microlite standoff. Surfaces can also be dry and ok one min the with the least amount of water on them turn into an ice rink so at least I know the ladder is not going to go anywhere.

Better to be safe than sorry and all that as they say  :)

This is what we use as well as someone footing the ladder.

I have hammered a piece of 4" x 2" into decking before now at the foot of the ladder to stop it slipping.

buzzing

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 07:56:51 pm »
I use an ankalad stabaliser fitted to my triple ladders & microlite standoff that can rest on roof tiles.

It's the safest set up I have used to date and never do any ladder roofline work without them now.

As far as keep having to move the ladders I also use progutter tools on a pole if/when required.

Smurf, is this what you recommend-   http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

?

Is a triple ladder better than a double?  Which triple, do you recommend?

Smurf

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:50 pm »
Yes that's the one but I think the new ones are not blue now.
The ladder I use most is a bps 12 rung combi tripple which suites the work I do best used as a normal ladder.
You can get longer ones but I stay clear of 3 storey ladder work now.

I use an ankalad stabaliser fitted to my triple ladders & microlite standoff that can rest on roof tiles.

It's the safest set up I have used to date and never do any ladder roofline work without them now.

As far as keep having to move the ladders I also use progutter tools on a pole if/when required.

Smurf, is this what you recommend-   http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

?

Is a triple ladder better than a double?  Which triple, do you recommend?

buzzing

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
Yes that's the one but I think the new ones are not blue now.
The ladder I use most is a bps 12 rung combi tripple which suites the work I do best used as a normal ladder.
You can get longer ones but I stay clear of 3 storey ladder work now.

Smurf, is this what you recommend-   http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

?

Is a triple ladder better than a double?  Which triple, do you recommend?

Do you need the triple for 2 storey gutters?   Would the double be ok for accessing the first storey windows?   I am thinking of getting either a double or triple ladder and not sure whether to get 3.5metres (closed)- 6metres open or 3 metres closed and bit less open for my car?

buzzing

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 01:36:27 pm »
On that one I would position my ladder on the wall above the top window so the microlite standoff fits in nice as close to the guttering as possible. Then set the ankalad outriggers properly so it stops any backward and sideways slip which also happens takes the bounce out of the ladder too.

You will probably find lots of crap, broken motar, bits of tiles and all sorts in both of those roof gulley's too.
Being those downpipes have bends at the top and bottom they will probably be blocked aswell so you may need to take the joints apart to clear them that is if they are plastic and not glued together. If they are cast iron then will need to be vacummed from the top first then jetted through. You can on some ocasions try to unblock them with just using a garden hose attached to a pole with a cone nozzle in the downspot on full pelt. Also attaching a wet/dry vac (guttervac) to the bottom of the downpipe as in this pic.

What ever methods you use it's always best to do a water test to make sure the gutters & downspouts are free flowing.

Hope this helps?

I have a normal standoff, it would be ok to put that  just above the window, right?    Doesn't have to be a microlight one does it?

Smurf

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 01:45:55 pm »
Normal ones are ok too but you can't rest them on roof tiles or flat roofs if you needed to.

On that one I would position my ladder on the wall above the top window so the microlite standoff fits in nice as close to the guttering as possible. Then set the ankalad outriggers properly so it stops any backward and sideways slip which also happens takes the bounce out of the ladder too.

You will probably find lots of crap, broken motar, bits of tiles and all sorts in both of those roof gulley's too.
Being those downpipes have bends at the top and bottom they will probably be blocked aswell so you may need to take the joints apart to clear them that is if they are plastic and not glued together. If they are cast iron then will need to be vacummed from the top first then jetted through. You can on some ocasions try to unblock them with just using a garden hose attached to a pole with a cone nozzle in the downspot on full pelt. Also attaching a wet/dry vac (guttervac) to the bottom of the downpipe as in this pic.

What ever methods you use it's always best to do a water test to make sure the gutters & downspouts are free flowing.

Hope this helps?

I have a normal standoff, it would be ok to put that  just above the window, right?    Doesn't have to be a microlight one does it?