Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Who's responsible now
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »
I did an EOT clean on Saturday for a girl who has had me do the carpets 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years.

Whilst doing the job I had accident and broke a glass CD rack that was stored in a bedroom.It was part of a few crappy odd furnishings in the house.

I informed the client about the incident and she just said oh its ok I'll just sling it.

Anyway during the check of the property the LA's noticed it was missing and have told her it will be betweem £100/200 to replace it.Probably worth about £40 tops.Letting Agents are legalised robbers.

She's texted me asking if I have insurance ect.I have contacted her and told her to get the LA's to contact me.

My concern is that the LA's wont give back the deposit until its resolved and these leaves this grl in a bit of a predicament.

Obviously I have admitted responsibility so my question is, now that I have done this will they/should they give deposit back and all future correspondence be with me.

Obviously before I pay anything or put through the insurance I want to know where they get the figures for the value from ect ect

CleanerCarpets

Re: Who's responsible now
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:37:38 pm »
well if its valued at that i wouldnt put through your insurance, was it one that matched a load of other furniture? insurance isnt new for old nowadays they will very often mark down for depreciation, like you say - the agents are talking tosh and was probably some snotty woman that answers the phone at the agents who she spoke to - thats what they are normally like in my experience - they tend to emply the most obnoxious people they can so it seems

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59:31 pm »
Put the ball back on in their court and ask for a like for like quotation for replacement as your insurance will ask for it.

Shaun

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »
Did you take a photo? She won't get her deposit back until she replaces it. The contract is between LA and tenant. Therefore regardless of who broke what, the tenant is ultimately responsible.

I'd appeal to their better nature first and say it was a genuine accident your willing to replace it but feel their valuation is too high, can you source one, send them a pic (don't include the price) and see what they say.

Tell them you'll collect and drop it off.

Jennifer w

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »
Hi Wayne, yes trying to be reasonable with them may not work. Remember that there valuation would include sending one of there contractors to go and buy one, fetch the keys, put it in the property ,and return the keys. Most of the contractors will have a min call out of 80 ish quid. Plus they may bung up to 20% on for themselves.

That's how they would get to this figure. If she disputes it,it will go to a tenant dispute panel, which takes 90days. She won't get a penny of her deposit back until they judge whether the deduction to her deposit is reasonable.

Sorry for the bad news.

Jen

tony bish

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:47:18 am »
Put the ball back on in their court and ask for a like for like quotation for replacement as your insurance will ask for it.

Shaun

This

Andy_MK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »
First you want to find out if it is mentioned on the check in inventory. If there is no mention on a check in inventory or even no inventory whatsoever signed and dated by both parties the LA is up the creek without a paddle. Then the tenant can go to DPS and dispute it, they will side with tenant.

Could be a chancer, most agents are.

Neil Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:25 pm »
I'm too slow! Just about to say check the inventory, if it's in there then it must be replaced, I always do an inventory. If there isn't one or it's not on there then she will not have to pay, but, you've already told them you broke it I presume so may lead to a lot of ifs buts and maybes.

Chance it and you'll prob get away with it but depends how difficult they want to be.

wayne zabel

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:05:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

It transpires that they only knew about it as they looked in the bin whilst waiting to get in.The girl had put it in there instead of slinging it somewhere less obvious.

She says the LA and the landlord are just ridiculous but says they have sent her a link to a site that says the CD rack is £250.Who knows?I certainly wouldn't have £50 for it.

All I'm concerned about is this girl getting her deposit back ASAP.

The latest from today is that she is having £100 withheld from her deposit.

The easiest and simpliest thing is for me to recompense her.It will be cheaper than insurance excess I suppose.

Lesson learned - that was one expensive Saturday morning.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »
If it was not on the inventory it wasn't there.
Simple.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

wayne zabel

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »
I will ask her about an inventory tomorrow.

Andy_MK

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:42:22 am »
She should dispute it with DPS.

Check the deposit was protected. If she moved in after 2007 and her deposit was not protected then she can go to court and the court can award back up to 3x the full deposit plus costs.

I know it's ultimately not your problem but it gets my back up when landlords mug people off, I've been a member of the consumer action group forum since 2007 helping people not get screwed over by chancers.

*Hector*

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:14:14 am »
What is your user name on there mate?
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Hilton

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 01:07:25 pm »
On the question, clearly you are responsible as you broke it.

Just pay up and move on.

tony bish

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
Yes he is responsible as he broke it ,but it is not unreasonable to ask questions before you cough up .I take it the girl is legit and not just paying you lip service mate to get some money off you, as I cant see anywhere in your posts where you have spoken to L/a personally only the girl ...just a thought ..or am I just a pessimist :-\   

wayne zabel

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:26 pm »
Yes she is 100% genuine,Ive worked for her on several occasions and I know her dad.

The outcome is that she has left a few items in the house and has settled with the LA's that they will deduct £100 from the deposit.They are being arsy with her telling her the toilet seat needs replacing and the oven needs cleaning again.

She has told me that she doesn't want me to recompense her and to leave things.

I have insisted that I pay the £100 difference I as broke the CD rack.

I don't think it's worth taking things further and getting involved with the LA's as I just want her to get the deposit ASAP

tony bish

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 08:07:26 pm »
See your predicament ,perhaps cut your loses Wayne and take it up with the L/A sharks after you have paid her if you can be bothered mate ,as no doubt you will keep her as a customer .We all come across these reptiles who think they own your soul and get a kick out of getting one over on people , so maybe move on and dont waste any more time and effort over it ...as they just are not worth it .