This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

Cleaning rainwater
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:26:26 am »
Just got latest water bill  ::)roll so now want to start collecting rainwater which comes off my roof at about 20tds.

Collecting is simple enough with a diverter from main downspout into an IBC but would want to move it from outdoor IBC to the one in my garage that stores my pure water and transfers to my van when required.

During the transfer would want to run it thru a DI vessel to clean it up (no pun) to 000 or there abouts .. now its easier enough to drop a transfer pump into the outdoor IBC but thinking it may be too powerful and burn the resin too quickly or does speed of dirty water thru resin not make any difference too its life span ??

Any other pumps you can think of ?

LWC

Re: Cleaning rainwater
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:30 am »
I have DI in van, put rain direct into tank and it cleans on the way out to the reels  ;)

H20cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:29:16 am »
I love the fact were not on a water meter ;D

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »
I have a ball of wire wool in the top of the down pipe and a mesh screen at the bottom and run it straight into a 200l barrel then pump it into my tank which then goes through the di, I read somewhere that it needs to be kept in the dark to stop it turning green, so you may have to cover a clear ibc, how much was your water bill?

J.D

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:13:57 pm »
I bought a £20 florabest  pump lidl and it pumped my water at a great rate for years! No longer use it but its still working as new. And thats after it being permanently immersed in water 24/7 for several years.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:31:46 pm »
At 20 TDS I think your best option is to pump it straight into a van and di as you clean

Most pumps will be too quick for the resin, unless you setup a shurflo pump off a battery.

And a thought for you, if your running electric to pump are you really making a saving over not using metered water ?

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:23 pm »
I would add a sediment filter - the rain will collect grit on the way down your roof to the downpipe.  Don't want that in your wfp delivery pump!

robert mitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »
can you not just gravity feed it through the di as it fills the tank ?
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Window Lickers

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:24 pm »
Nope, no pressure to get it through the resin.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Window Lickers

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
A 60 psi pump from one of the suppliers is all you need to push the water through. About £60.00. You can take the water out the bottom of the water butt and feed it back in to the top. Just a loop.

Ian101

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:00 pm »
thanks for replies so far chaps ... appreciate I could just put it straight into van tank and di it to brush head but prefer to have it @ 000 ish in tank already then I know its pure and no chance of di going off part way thru day.

Another what if question if anyone knows before I try it ... would a mains booster pump work from an IBC as opposed to having it connected to a tap ... I think the theory is yes as an ibc would have zero pressure so booster pump would just suck it and boost water ...... maybe ???

Ian101

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:54 pm »
At 20 TDS I think your best option is to pump it straight into a van and di as you clean

Most pumps will be too quick for the resin, unless you setup a shurflo pump off a battery.

And a thought for you, if your running electric to pump are you really making a saving over not using metered water ?

Darran

Hi Darran ... oh yes defo a saving  ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 06:10:28 pm »
Look into pressure boxes for rain water harvesting.

Window Lickers

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:21:26 pm »
Another what if question if anyone knows before I try it ... would a mains booster pump work from an IBC as opposed to having it connected to a tap ... I think the theory is yes as an ibc would have zero pressure so booster pump would just suck it and boost water ...... maybe ???

Yes.

Ian101

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 06:26:12 pm »

Yes.

good to know in advance  :)

Ian101

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:04 pm »
Look into pressure boxes for rain water harvesting.

cheers ... will do

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:22 pm »
I knew that WO Hydrant right by my garage would come in handy for something  :o :o :o

only joking ... of course  :D

colin bird

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
I've recently gone a water meter,I had some good advice on here,phone your water company tell them are a window cleaner and you use water to fill your tank but you don't return water to the sewer which you won't if you are di,if you are ro let the waster water go on your garden,which is fine as you are not returning it to the drains,then tell them you are fitting a sub meter to your supply which is possibly an outside tap like me,if that's the case ,in my situation water coming in is lets say £1 a cubic meter,water going down the drain is £2 a cubic meter,total cost £3 a cubic meter,no water down the drain £1  a cubic meter saving £2 a cubic meter,if you water bill for a year is £1500 at them moment you will only pay £500.
Forgot to say they will send you a letter for non return to sewer which is where I'm at now.
You will then have to phone them when you get your metered water bill with you sub meter reading they will then adjust you water bill accordingly.
A sub meter is only £40 if I can be of Any help my mob 07850332219

Ian101

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:48 am »
thanks Colin ... will give you a bell if I don't go down rainwater route  :)

Klean07

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:08 am »
I use rainwater which the tds is 45!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk