Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ascjim

Float Values
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:14 pm »
I would like to put a "auto shut off" system in the van.

I'm looking into putting a float valve on the tank. I fill with mains pressure, would a normal toilet float valve do the job? There are a lot cheaper then the ones advertised on window cleaning shops.

Cheers

ascjim

Re: Float Values
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:07:10 pm »
Sorry, but I literally mean I fill from the tap full blast into the tank. Im D.I only

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:22:57 pm »
Sorry, but I literally mean I fill from the tap full blast into the tank. Im D.I only

Then an ordinary toilet stop valve will be fine.

However, there are a few things you have to consider. Because the valve operates on a floating ball that operates the valve, you are never going to be able to brim the tank so you will lose  some of your tank capacity.

The other consideration is where you are going to drill your hole in the side of the tank. If it is too low then you will lose even more capacity. If you drill it too close to the top of the tank the valve won't switch off. Also bear in mind that the valve 'wears' in time and won't switch off at the same level over a period of time as a toilet cistern does - overflow.

You may find it best to fit the valve in such a way that the float can use the space in the filler cap and find a valve that has a small float. Depending on your water pressure you may have to find a stop valve that can be modified for high and low water pressures.

Your stop valve may not last as long as it would in the toilet as it will be subject to the water sloshing around in the tank when the vehicle is moving.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

windymiller

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »

duncan h

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »
i just ordered one of these yesterday

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111354124674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

that's just what I got last week from china. A lot cheaper than that.Ill look for link

duncan h

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:14 pm »