This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Dislocated shoulder
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:00:19 am »
Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Florida this morning. Got a text from an employee this afternoon, he has dislocated, and torn ligaments in his shoulder playing football, and will be off work for a minimum of 6 weeks :'(.  I am obviously a bit worried it will be longer than this due to the nature of WFP'ling, has any WFP'lers had this type of injury? and are there likely to be ongoing problems due to the rigours of poling and carrying a back pack by the handle? 
This may also interest those of you who are considering employing. I think I will have to pay out SSP of £87.00 per week. This of course can be claimed back but it is a ball ache all the same.

G Griffin

Re: Dislocated shoulder
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:32 am »
I don't know but six weeks seems optimistic. But I reckon he'll be keen to return to work sooner rather than later if getting SSP.
It's a bad one for wfp'ing. Can't he do some ground floor trad work?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

J.D

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:39:16 am »
Im just about shaking off the old tennis elbow from wfp work but it does take its toll on the bones over time!

Tom-01

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:00 am »
I dislocated my shoulder about 7/8 years ago playing football. I was working as a labourer at the time and had 6 weeks off. Doctors said it was ok to go back to work. 6 months in I was in lots of pain so had physio. Another 6 months went by and I finally got a scan, it was quite bad so had to have an operation. I decided to get back into sales so I could at least work after the op. A year after the first operation I had to have a second operation.

Window cleaning does aggravate it quite a lot and I have to keep reminding myself to pole differently, because they left it so long I was using my shoulder blade differently and get aches with that now. We're really busy at the moment so I am on the tools more but I try to do less which helps. He needs to get a scan done (NHS will try not to do it as it costs them so much money and fob him off with physio). He could potentially be off a fair bit more if he has torn his rotator cuff, nasty injury :/

Tom

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:47:22 am »
I don't know but six weeks seems optimistic. But I reckon he'll be keen to return to work sooner rather than later if getting SSP.
It's a bad one for wfp'ing. Can't he do some ground floor trad work?
Aye, re-reading his text he says he has to do 'nothing' for 6 weeks, so a guess it will be a bit o physio required after the 6 weeks. He will be getting a wee bit o insurance money per week from the football team ( a know this because a used to be asst manager ) which will help to make up his wages, but a don't think he will milk it, he is a good lad. He has only been with me for 5 months and in that time he has just used WFP, so he has no experience in trad, a guess now will be a good time to train him up as WFP will prob be a no no fir a while.

Tom-01

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00:15 am »
Seriously get him to push for a scan. He needs to tell them he is in agony constantly, can't dress himself properly, can't sleep properly, can't work, can't do anything because of the pain. If he has physiotherapy after tearing his ligaments, rotator cuff etc he will be out of action for a lot longer. He has to lay it on thick and get a scan because they will 'hope' that physio fixes it.

Tom

KS Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 01:11:10 am »
I dislocated my shoulder about 7/8 years ago playing football. I was working as a labourer at the time and had 6 weeks off. Doctors said it was ok to go back to work. 6 months in I was in lots of pain so had physio. Another 6 months went by and I finally got a scan, it was quite bad so had to have an operation. I decided to get back into sales so I could at least work after the op. A year after the first operation I had to have a second operation.

Window cleaning does aggravate it quite a lot and I have to keep reminding myself to pole differently, because they left it so long I was using my shoulder blade differently and get aches with that now. We're really busy at the moment so I am on the tools more but I try to do less which helps. He needs to get a scan done (NHS will try not to do it as it costs them so much money and fob him off with physio). He could potentially be off a fair bit more if he has torn his rotator cuff, nasty injury :/

Tom
A hope he has a wee bit more luck than you seem to have had :o. Aye the rotator cuff is a bad one if that is the case. He has already had x ray done, and heard back from orthopaedic surgeon, who says he has separated 2 bones, and ligaments have popped out, so a would guess they are gonna wait to see how it heals then take it from there. A will speak wi him tomorrow as this was just the info a got fi him by text.  A had to have physio maself about a year back as a had impingement in the shoulder, am sure the physio pointed out to me the rotator cuff was taking all the strain of the poling, he also told me to alter ma technique ( with the WFP!! ) or a would keep havin problems wi it.

Tom-01

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 01:16:27 am »
Hopefully he'll be ok, but a x-ray won't show if there are any real problems :/

My wife to be keeps telling me to get another scan done. Basically when I eventually had the scan they saw what they call a 'loose body' in my shoulder. But decided to do key hole surgery at the last minute which meant they couldn't get it out. So the second operation was to remove it, but they couldn't find it. The surgeon said the first surgeon (confused yet??) didn't tighten up the muscles at the front of my shoulder, only the back. I have private medical now so I will do it on that at some point.

Window Lickers

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 07:59:10 am »
Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Florida this morning. Got a text from an employee this afternoon, he has dislocated, and torn ligaments in his shoulder playing football, and will be off work for a minimum of 6 weeks :'(.  I am obviously a bit worried it will be longer than this due to the nature of WFP'ling, has any WFP'lers had this type of injury? and are there likely to be ongoing problems due to the rigours of poling and carrying a back pack by the handle? 
This may also interest those of you who are considering employing. I think I will have to pay out SSP of £87.00 per week. This of course can be claimed back but it is a ball ache all the same.

If he doesn't do as the doctor says he'll be off work a lot longer. It'll keep dislocating if he doesn't allow it to heal and strengthen.

My missus's shoulder dislocated 8 times last year. She had an op in January to sort it but it's only today she is anywhere near back to some sort of operating strength. Probably has about 80% mobility and 60% strength back. The doc told her it would take a year to sort itself out totally. The physio reckons she may well never be 100%.

The damage a dislocation causes just exacerbates after every trauma. Tracey's just fell out once when she was in the bath, the warm water relaxed the muscles and it slipped out.

So let him recover, no pressure or you'll be a man down for a lot longer.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Window Lickers

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:02:25 am »
I've just re-read what you've written.  

He's buggered. It sounds like he's torn a ligament off the bone. That'll require surgery. He'll be out a long time.  A year most likely if that's the case.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:59:49 am »
you probably know this - but you may not get all your ssp back - its used to be  linked to nic contributions but I am sure there were some changes from April this year here is a quick search but as always do your own research, I may be incorrect..
http://elsbyandco.co.uk/employers-will-no-longer-be-able-to-claim-ssp-from-6th-april/#.U9SxHeNdX84
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

KS Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »
you probably know this - but you may not get all your ssp back - its used to be  linked to nic contributions but I am sure there were some changes from April this year here is a quick search but as always do your own research, I may be incorrect..
http://elsbyandco.co.uk/employers-will-no-longer-be-able-to-claim-ssp-from-6th-april/#.U9SxHeNdX84

Aye a knew they had changed it, I will speak to ma accountant tomorrow. Like you said, it used to get deducted from your PAYE bill, now a believe it gets deducted from your tax bill, so will take longer to recoup the money :'( and even then am not sure if it's 100% tax deductible.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:24:43 pm »
I've just re-read what you've written.  

He's buggered. It sounds like he's torn a ligament off the bone. That'll require surgery. He'll be out a long time.  A year most likely if that's the case.
He has to go back to orthopaedics midweek, so will prob get a better idea of what the damage is then, and if it is healing properly, I have told him to ask the consultant what the timescale for recovery is likely to be given the nature of the job, depending on the outcome of this I may have a decision to make, although I hope not.

kikjason

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:11 pm »
I dislocated my shoulder 3 years ago..fell off ladders..luckly im rght handed did my left shoulder.i work trad went bck to work after 2 days I worked with a pole and just trad bottoms.. Charged customers half price...if I didnt work for myself I wouldnt have gone bck to work its very painfull..bills to pay so had no choice..i was bck on ladders after a month working one handed which was very dodgy..if he has to have operation he wont be working for 3 months at least.. Took me 2 years to be working properly with left arm you cant lift it above your shoulders

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:25 pm »
you probably know this - but you may not get all your ssp back - its used to be  linked to nic contributions but I am sure there were some changes from April this year here is a quick search but as always do your own research, I may be incorrect..

Aye a knew they had changed it, I will speak to ma accountant tomorrow. Like you said, it used to get deducted from your PAYE bill, now a believe it gets deducted from your tax bill, so will take longer to recoup the money :'( and even then am not sure if it's 100% tax deductible.
Well it's worse than a thought, you can't claim back SSP at all now  :'( :'( :'(. I have been told by my accountant that this issue is a big bone of contention for small businesses who like myself employ part time workers .

PoleKing

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »

Well it's worse than a thought, you can't claim back SSP at all now  :'( :'( :'(. I have been told by my accountant that this issue is a big bone of contention for small businesses who like myself employ part time workers .

Bet you wish you had a zero hours contract.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

alfie11

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »
I would have him out dropping leaflets for his hrs

TomCrowther

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:00 pm »
You no longer get ssp back but you have got a £2000 ni deduction so it should even out ok...

KS Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »
You no longer get ssp back but you have got a £2000 ni deduction so it should even out ok...
I don't have a £2000 ni deduction, because employing part time I don't pay that amount of ni in the first place, only when you employ full time on decent wages will you save the £2000. My employees are on 24 hours per week so there was hardly any ni or employers tax to pay. I can remember it vividly now, the big grin on the chancellors face saying businesses can save UP TO £2000 with the new changes......nothing about wiping their hands of SSP....Tory spin.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »

Bet you wish you had a zero hours contract.
Yep, I think this is the way ahead for many small businesses.