This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mick Kent

Is cleaning a car with purified water ok
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:18 pm »
Bought myself a new toy but its black and a bugger to keep clean costing me a lot of dough at the gary's carwash every other day..
Today i thought id try it myself with pure water giving ot a once over for 10 mins and it came out lovely but am worried pure water isnt safe for paintwork??
I have tried searching on google but cant find much on the subject.
Anyone else clean there cars with there systems??

easy clean

Re: Is cleaning a car with purified water ok
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »
Yeah it's fine, decent valeters use pure

Mick Kent

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:05:45 pm »
Good to hear.. Will save me a tenner every other day that will.

H20cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:53 pm »
You using the brush and everything aswell? Of so be carefull of scratching the paint work on the corners of the brush.
I wash my dads black car every 2 days with pure water and it always stays clean

Mick Kent

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
No i used a micro fibre mitten glove thing. My brushes always get grit and objects in the bristles so wasnt worth the risk. Just used the pole to rinse at the end.
It amaized me how good pure water realy is against a black motor in direct sunlight.

Plankton

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:02 pm »
Which is why I never bought the expensive paint for the floor of my van.... 18 months later and I'm still glad. I've been washing the van with wfp whenever it's needed. Probably kinder than tfr.

H20cleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »
Yeh its great! I do the same i wash it with a sponge and soapy water then wash off with pure straight from the transfer hose.
I then dry the last few drips with a shammy then tyre shine the tyres! Takes about 30mins

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:17:43 pm »
i always wash my van and car with pure mick.i have a small unger optiloc trad pole converted to a WFP with a vikan brush on the end.never had a problem.both vehicles come up great!spot free!! :)

in america they use di onised water for the final rinse in lots of car washes so i wouldnt worry! ;)
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:14 am »
Bought myself a new toy but its black and a bugger to keep clean costing me a lot of dough at the gary's carwash every other day..
Today i thought id try it myself with pure water giving ot a once over for 10 mins and it came out lovely but am worried pure water isnt safe for paintwork??
I have tried searching on google but cant find much on the subject.
Anyone else clean there cars with there systems??

Model "T"?
It's a game of three halves!

Spursboy1972

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:11:29 am »
Don't quote me but when I started afp many years ago I was told not to use the brush on the paintwork... Obviously the reasons above but also it erodes the lacquer after a sustained period... I cannot verify whether this is true or not because I followed the advise.. So I use pure water just to rinse..
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

PoleKing

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:25:34 am »
Don't quote me but when I started afp many years ago I was told not to use the brush on the paintwork... Obviously the reasons above but also it erodes the lacquer after a sustained period... I cannot verify whether this is true or not because I followed the advise.. So I use pure water just to rinse..

Cars don't have lacquer anymore bud.
If I ever get the chance to wash my motor I do final rinse with pure, like a lot of lads on here.
Rarely do now though.
Shame, used to be one of life's little pleasures for me.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:11 am »

ive been using  my vikan brush for cleaning my vehicles for over 4 years now.no problems whatsoever.in fact the vikan brush was designed for cleaning trucks.

i wax my car periodically to keep it looking good. :)
price higher/work harder!

Smart Carpet

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:42 am »

Cars don't have lacquer anymore bud.
If I ever get the chance to wash my motor I do final rinse with pure, like a lot of lads on here.
Rarely do now though.
Shame, used to be one of life's little pleasures for me.

By lacquer he probably means the clear coat  ;)

I would only use a very clean flocked brush to clean the cars paintwork, and only then if wasn't overly dirty.

I tend to just use a DI rinse, leaves a fantastic finish, no chamois needed.

Ste b

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:05:24 am »
Good to hear.. Will save me a caravan every other day that will.
The purpose of life is to have a life full of purpose

gordonswindows

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:18 pm »
Pure water is ideal for car washing but don't forget that soap is the devil here. Soap allows the car to dirty much quicker where cleaning with only pure leaves the finish with nothing coating and spoiling it. So washing with soap then washing (rinsing) the soap off is just a waste of time and effort. You don't wash windows with soap then rinse.......once its clean its clean

Gordon

Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

H20cleaning

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »
Pure water is ideal for car washing but don't forget that soap is the devil here. Soap allows the car to dirty much quicker where cleaning with only pure leaves the finish with nothing coating and spoiling it. So washing with soap then washing (rinsing) the soap off is just a waste of time and effort. You don't wash windows with soap then rinse.......once its clean its clean

Gordon

you do on first cleans and it drys spot free if you give it a good rinse

Mike #1

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:34 pm »
Soap is defo the devil I wouldn't use imperial leather on my truck I use a top quality wax safe car shampoo . A good final rinse with pure saves having to dry off the vehicle . Mike

H20cleaning

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
Soap is defo the devil I wouldn't use imperial leather on my truck I use a top quality wax safe car shampoo . A good final rinse with pure saves having to dry off the vehicle . Mike
I just use turtle wax soap its not to bad just needs a good rinse