This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Bad debt recovery
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:34 pm »
Here's an unusual one.
Way back in November 2012, I did what was possibly a one off clean - though there was a chance of it being annual.  As it was a large job by my standards (pretty much a full day), I was OK with this.  It was sort of commercial - a very large house divided into flatlets - to be paid as one payment by the landlord.  I issued an invoice as it was one of his businesses.
Anyway, it appeared that he bumped me for the money as my text reminders were ignored.  Naturally, I was seriously p'd off about this but eventually started to move one.  A year after, he emailed me to book in for the next clean.  I told him no - unless it was paid up front and the previous clean was paid for too.  I wasn't rude but my email was intentionally brief.  I got no reply.  It seemed odd.  I figured that he just ripped off so many people that he forgot who he had done it to.
Today, one year and eight months later, he phoned me on my mobile to do another clean.  He apologised profusely for messing me about, said it was overlooked, he had had some major life problems (won't put it on here as pretty personal) and some other stuff.  So again I said I would clean but the two cleans had to be pre-paid.  He offered to meet me with a cheque on the day but I wouldn't have that as cheques can be stopped.  So, to the good old BACS transfer.  Got in this evening and the two payment are in my account.
I may be wrong but I suspect that he may have had some sort of breakdown previously.
So, true to my word, I will carry out the clean in the next few days.
Just putting this on here as it's very unusual and thought it might interest someone.

AuRavelling79

Re: Bad debt recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:02 pm »
Nicely handled and obviously a genuine "breakdown". You've got your money so you can do the clean.

TBH I think any future work with this chap would have to be on a payment upfront basis because of your original experience.
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:07 am »

TBH I think any future work with this chap would have to be on a payment upfront basis because of your original experience.

That is exactly how I would approach it.  A pity it hasto be that way but as the saying goes, "there isn't a second chance to make a first impression."  The original, apparent non-payment led to a lot of angst and agitation within me.  I went through a lot more vengeful fantasies than I usually would in such a situation due to the amount involved.  At one point, I was within a whisker of carrying one of them out - even going out of my way to drive past - but just carried on driving.  I even ended up on the website of one of the businesses poised to make a poisoned review - but deferred it to a later date to do it from an internet cafe so the the IP couldn't be matched to me.  That's one of the things about living alone - that sort of stuff can get stuck in the head more easily without a supportive partner around.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:20:09 am »
leapstallbuildings in my experience most customers dont intend to not pay for window cleaning but forget or just get so busy with other things in their life etc,etc.

of course some will just try and wiggle out of it never intending to pay but its very rare.

so a good outcome in the end?i bet you feel a bit foolish now for allowing yourself to become so angry and twisted over a days pay?i know its the principal.you did the work and agreed the price etc,etc.

i know from my own experiences with alcoholism,depression,money issues and drug abuse the last thing on my mind would be to pay the window cleaner! ;D

price higher/work harder!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:36 am »
leapstallbuildings in my experience most customers dont intend to not pay for window cleaning but forget or just get so busy with other things in their life etc,etc.

of course some will just try and wiggle out of it never intending to pay but its very rare.

so a good outcome in the end?i bet you feel a bit foolish now for allowing yourself to become so angry and twisted over a days pay?i know its the principal.you did the work and agreed the price etc,etc.

i know from my own experiences with alcoholism,depression,money issues and drug abuse the last thing on my mind would be to pay the window cleaner! ;D

Leapstallbuildings?  What a memory.  I'd forgotten that one myself till you mentioned it :) .  No, I don't feel foolish.  By allowing myself full range to my fantasies, it helped the feelings pass much more quickly.  My past problems were largely caused by me suppressing feelings which helped them to linger much longer.  We are all wired a little bit differently in this regard.  I also went to the dark places that you describe Daz - so I had to become better equipped emotionally.  Without tackling the inner issues, recovery is built on sand IMO.  Some people prefer to hide those feelings from themselves and chant them away.  Others prefer to allow them a life of their own so that they may dissipate sooner.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:27 am »
to be honest paul i was a very unstable character in my previous life.add in active alcoholism,depression,serious money worries i would of been really angry,bitter and twisted!i used to get like that over a fiver owed at one time!! ::)roll ;D

i can laugh about it now but at the time my life was a living hell.awful.

ive come a long,long way from them dark days myself.thank God.

very best wishes
price higher/work harder!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:53 am »
to be honest paul i was a very unstable character in my previous life.add in active alcoholism,depression,serious money worries i would of been really angry,bitter and twisted!i used to get like that over a fiver owed at one time!! ::)roll ;D

i can laugh about it now but at the time my life was a living hell.awful.

ive come a long,long way from them dark days myself.thank God.

very best wishes

Money worries was something that didn't afflict me in the past.  I've saved that one up for my recovery :) .  I've been away from the dark side for about 28 years.  The money issues have been around about a decade or so.  I take the view that I made new mistakes rather than repeating old ones.  Harder graft and very frugal living for 3 or 4 years will sort it out though.  I know how to do both - but I've never previously done both at the same time :) .  Here's to the next chapter of life.