Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PoleKing

Re: fascia boards
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »
Hi Guys, not trying to put a damper on things here just to err on the side of caution as we have seen many surfaces with detrimental damage caused by G101 as its a high alkaline based harsh chemical and contains a very high pH value one of the highest you will come across, I would recommend never to use this harsh product neat on any of your clients UPVC surfaces because if it dries in it will cause detrimental damage to many hard surfaces, again I am just sharing from my own experiences over the years and seeing first hand the damage it can cause if its not used with extreme caution, hope this info can be of benefit to some as I know people who have used it wrongly and it ended up costing them.

Any news on your test results, Tadgh.
I've been doing a little experiment with TFR and UPVC myself for the last 3 months.
Up to this point, as far as I can tell, TFR does absolutely no damage to UPVC whatsoever. Undiluted.
I would be interested to hear if your experiments prove otherwise.
At the moment though-I don't think you're right to say TFR damages UPVC.
I can't speak for G101 though.
Perhaps that'll be the next test.
Hi Darren, i have plenty of information but just cant seem to find the time to put it all together, when i do i will send it on to you, on the TFR Darren are you saying that if it used neat on UPVC surfaces it does no damage if that is the case i will stand over saying it will damage UPVC if used neat.

But do you have any proof though?
I have evidence that it does no harm.
Hi Darren, trust me after being in the industry for over 30 years yes i have plenty of proof that high alkaline based harsh chemicals cause detrimental damage to surfaces from continuous use, i think if you read back on some of my posts i have been honest in putting up my hand and admitting that i caused damage to some of my clients surfaces over the years while using high alkaline based chemicals, i was always happy to share my experiences in the hope that it would be of benefit to others and especially for the newer guys coming into our industry, as for any further discussions on these harsh chemicals i think i have said enough and will leave it there, as for the info which i will compile in a slide show and send it on to you when finished.     Regards  Tadgh

Not knocking you, Tadgh, I'm sure you have then best intentions.
All I'm saying is, do you have any proof now. Any pictures etc.
I mean no offence at all but you've been saying what you're saying about TFR in particular for well over a year, maybe more but you've not posted any pictures to back up your claim.
I've been using TFR for over 10 years, admittedly not as long as your 30 years, but to my knowledge have done no damage because of it.

I'm still doing my experiment.
I'll post my pictures whenever, it's been going months.
But I am genuinely interested to see any photo's you've got showing damage from, specifically TFR ('cause I use it), but I'm sure the forum would benefit from evidence on G101 & Virosol 'cause that seems be of common use.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

PoleKing

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:23 pm »
Just to add, I only really use it on UPVC, I don't mean other surfaces

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 08:24:54 pm »
The crux of the matter is no one is continually using g101/virosol/TFR on a surface,
We're doing a one hit, with usually diluted chemicals.  Water use will erode any surface if you use it enough.

There are albeit very slight dangers using chems, say on self cleaning glass, pouring it neat over glass frames and sills and leaving to bake on for several hours, but let's be honest, they would be extreme cases, used in a sensible fashion these chems are not going to cause a problem.
My experience only goes back 5 years but a quick tot up is I've used chems in excess of 2,000 jobs from 1 off first cleans to full house valets so that probably equals ( something like 18,000 UPVC frames, so far nothing but 100% perfect results

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »
The crux of the matter is no one is continually using g101/virosol/TFR on a surface,
We're doing a one hit, with usually diluted chemicals.  Water use will erode any surface if you use it enough.

There are albeit very slight dangers using chems, say on self cleaning glass, pouring it neat over glass frames and sills and leaving to bake on for several hours, but let's be honest, they would be extreme cases, used in a sensible fashion these chems are not going to cause a problem.
My experience only goes back 5 years but a quick tot up is I've used chems in excess of 2,000 jobs from 1 off first cleans to full house valets so that probably equals ( something like 18,000 UPVC frames, so far nothing but 100% perfect results

Darran

same here smudger.ive used virosol or tfr on hundreds of jobs over the last 5 years with no harm done! ;) :)
price higher/work harder!

tlwcs

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
If he fixed his bloody website, I would find him more credible.
Until then, just another keyboard warrior.
Tony

PoleKing

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:53 pm »
Tony

That's a bit harsh, I think, bud.
He's not calling anyone out.
Just airing his opinion.

And offering his products. ;D

tlwcs

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »
Tony

Just airing his opinion.

Yes maybe.
I like his posts and he seems to have vast experience, but come on, how hard is a website? But then if he offer 100's of products, umm.
I still think the website link should be working or removed.
Tony

PoleKing

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »
Tony

Just airing his opinion.

Yes maybe.
I like his posts and he seems to have vast experience, but come on, how hard is a website? But then if he offer 100's of products, umm.
I still think the website link should be working or removed.
Tony

True.
I'd've bought kit if I could

Barryy

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:34 pm »
Hi Chaps
Im being asked more and more to clean the fascia boards and gutters, which isn't a bad thing for sure.
However, last week I cleaned a house (fascia boards & gutters) and conservatory, which was a right mess, it took a while to clean to say the least, full of dirt and green moss etc...

2 questions are this:

- Firstly, which is the best stuff to spray on the fascia boards / conservatory roofs etc. which may help get it off more easily (quicker!!!)
I have heard virosol but then have heard that you don't want this splashing on the glass as it stains if it dries out on the glass?

-secondly, the best brush head for fascia boards, as I often use a sill brush and find it is okay but still cant get between the small gap between the under side of the gutter and the fascia boards, if its proper dirty you cant leave this area underneath, as it looks a mess obviously. I wondered if people tend to climb up and clean this area by hand first....

Anyway, any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
I spent the last few months looking for a product that would do the same job as Virosol, Ubik etc, but wouldn't stain glass if left to dry on it. I finally found what has proved to be a very effective fascia/gutter/pvc cleaner that doesn't stain glass. I sprayed some of this stuff neat onto one of my own windows, left it for a couple of days, and it rinsed off no prob with my WFP. Where Virosol/Ubik etc are highly alkali, this product is pH neutral, meaning it is neither acid nor alkali.  Here's where I got it: http://mistralie.co.uk/products/merlin-multi-purpose-cleaner-concentrate
I've done a few fascia/gutter cleans with this and it does as good a job if not better as Ubik, and the peace of mind of knowing that I don't have to rush to clean it off glass is priceless. Hope this helps.

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »
I damaged a property the other day with a small waffle cloth!

Dave Willis

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
I have stained glass though with tfr and won't use it anymore.

Virosol, Ubik and G101 have been fine so far (diluted).

PoleKing

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:01 pm »
Hi Chaps
Im being asked more and more to clean the fascia boards and gutters, which isn't a bad thing for sure.
However, last week I cleaned a house (fascia boards & gutters) and conservatory, which was a right mess, it took a while to clean to say the least, full of dirt and green moss etc...

2 questions are this:

- Firstly, which is the best stuff to spray on the fascia boards / conservatory roofs etc. which may help get it off more easily (quicker!!!)
I have heard virosol but then have heard that you don't want this splashing on the glass as it stains if it dries out on the glass?

-secondly, the best brush head for fascia boards, as I often use a sill brush and find it is okay but still cant get between the small gap between the under side of the gutter and the fascia boards, if its proper dirty you cant leave this area underneath, as it looks a mess obviously. I wondered if people tend to climb up and clean this area by hand first....

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
I spent the last few months looking for a product that would do the same job as Virosol, Ubik etc, but wouldn't stain glass if left to dry on it. I finally found what has proved to be a very effective fascia/gutter/pvc cleaner that doesn't stain glass. I sprayed some of this stuff neat onto one of my own windows, left it for a couple of days, and it rinsed off no prob with my WFP. Where Virosol/Ubik etc are highly alkali, this product is pH neutral, meaning it is neither acid nor alkali.  Here's where I got it: http://mistralie.co.uk/products/merlin-multi-purpose-cleaner-concentrate
I've done a few fascia/gutter cleans with this and it does as good a job if not better as Ubik, and the peace of mind of knowing that I don't have to rush to clean it off glass is priceless. Hope this helps.

Do you have a vested interest Barry?

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »
Tony
Hi Tony, I agree with your point on our web site, we have two divisions in our company one providing cleaning services, and the other providing cleaning products, we have been developing a new concept in cleaning over the last number of years and are 95% there and will hope to have our site back live over the next few week, I know some of you will say ya we heard that one before, there are other reasons which I cant go into for the delay but we will get there.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:39 pm »

Darran
Hi Darran yes I agree with you if you are doing one off jobs for customers and using any high alkaline based chemicals diluted at safe strengths you will be fine, again if you look at my posts I always talk about the damage that is caused to surfaces from the continuous use of high alkaline based chemicals especially if they are not diluted properly, the reason I spoke about G101 is because it is a very aggressive product and needs to be used with extreme caution, I will say it again I have seen it damage many hard surfaces when not used with care and if that can be of benefit to others I don't mind saying it as normally I don't try to mention specific products, my point really is that high alkaline based chemicals are produced using some very nasty and corrosive ingredients, it took me many years to realise this and was one of the reasons we went looking for safer alternatives, and on a last note there are plenty of janitorial suppliers in the UK who do carry safer alternatives.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
I damaged a property the other day with a small waffle cloth!
Hi Dave, was it one of ecloths little waffles.

Barryy

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »
Hi Chaps

2 questions are this:

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

No, not at all Poleking, just wanted to share the info I found.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:58 am »
Hi Chaps

2 questions are this:

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
Hi Barryy, well done on your efforts to source safer alternatives to using high alkaline based chemicals, I don't know about this product but hope some others will take your recommendation on board. Happy cleaning Regards Tadgh.

Barryy

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:03 am »
Hi Barryy, well done on your efforts to source safer alternatives to using high alkaline based chemicals, I don't know about this product but hope some others will take your recommendation on board. Happy cleaning Regards Tadgh.
[/quote]
Thanks Tadgh, that's what a good forum should be all about, sharing the knowledge, as you do with your obvious expertise in the cleaning industry.

PoleKing

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 07:30:29 am »
Hi Chaps

2 questions are this:

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

Cool.
When you say 'very effective' is it as effective as G101 or TFR, or not quite as effective but safer?

Barryy

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:58 am »
Hi Chaps

2 questions are this:

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

Cool.
When you say 'very effective' is it as effective as G101 or TFR, or not quite as effective but safer?
I've never used G101 or any TFR, but it's definitely as effective or better than Virosol, Ubik and Brillo Cleaner/Degreaser. And because its neutral pH, its much safer on the glass. Unless something better turns up, I can't see myself using anything else for the forseeable future. Quite well priced also at £38 for 4x5L and free shipping to UK/Ireland. (I'm still not associated in any way to this product or company).