This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve H

fascia boards
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:50:42 pm »
Hi Chaps
Im being asked more and more to clean the fascia boards and gutters, which isn't a bad thing for sure.
However, last week I cleaned a house (fascia boards & gutters) and conservatory, which was a right mess, it took a while to clean to say the least, full of dirt and green moss etc...

2 questions are this:

- Firstly, which is the best stuff to spray on the fascia boards / conservatory roofs etc. which may help get it off more easily (quicker!!!)
I have heard virosol but then have heard that you don't want this splashing on the glass as it stains if it dries out on the glass?

-secondly, the best brush head for fascia boards, as I often use a sill brush and find it is okay but still cant get between the small gap between the under side of the gutter and the fascia boards, if its proper dirty you cant leave this area underneath, as it looks a mess obviously. I wondered if people tend to climb up and clean this area by hand first....

Anyway, any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Phil J

Re: fascia boards
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:05:26 pm »
Hey Steve,
Virosol works really well, if you get  any on the glass just rinse off, never had a problem myself. As for the dirt above the gutter line on the fascia, change the angle of your brush and try to work it into the gaps. If that doesn't work unfortunately you will have to climb the ladder and clean by hand.
Good luck pal, cheers, Phil  :D

Steve H

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »
Hi Phil,
I will give it a try as a lot of people seem to use it...
Thanks
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

robert mitchell

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:09 pm »
i find g101 makes it really easy .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
G101 is better than virosol, ubik, TFR, IME

Best brush Ariel hogs hair just rips through the dirt

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Steve H

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »
Hi fellas,
Do you water the g101 down and spray it on and leave it for a bit to do its thing? best place to get it from?
Thanks in advance
Steve

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:11 pm »
virosol in a strong concentration mixed with water in 5l pressure sprayer or backpack

stiff gardiner sill brush with adjustable angle adaptor

virosol drying on the windows? ive never had a problem on the odd occasion it has.easily washes off with pure.

this is all i use steve.i find the sill brushes get under the gutters just fine when you adjust the angle! ;)

i did a conny roof and f/s/g this morning.came up great and the customer was well happy. :)
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:13:02 pm »
G101 for me and a sill brush normally does a passable job. Never looks that special if you climb up for a good look though. Usually wipe down afterwards with an applicator on a pole to take the drips off. Watch out for red sill brushes leaving bristles jammed in the brackets - spot them a mile off.

Bungle

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:12 pm »
G101 for me and a sill brush normally does a passable job. Never looks that special if you climb up for a good look though. Usually wipe down afterwards with an applicator on a pole to take the drips off. Watch out for red sill brushes leaving bristles jammed in the brackets - spot them a mile off.

Looks good, yeah?

Not really, but the custy ain't got a trained eye like us  ;)

We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:52:15 am »
Don't mind Dave he's suffering sunstroke..😄

We use g101 diluted to 20%.  Only buy 101 branded by autosmart I've tried others and they are usually  a watered down version.

Hand sprayer as above, or for larger jobs and heavily soiled we pump through a backpack and agitate as we apply, dirt lifts instantly.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Steve H

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:08 pm »
thanks for replies fellas, again some good info there, will give both a go and see what I feel comes out best. I have filthy connie roof to do in the next week or so and the gutters at the front of the house are the same, that will be an ideal time to give it a try.
Cheers

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:22 pm »
Hi Guys, not trying to put a damper on things here just to err on the side of caution as we have seen many surfaces with detrimental damage caused by G101 as its a high alkaline based harsh chemical and contains a very high pH value one of the highest you will come across, I would recommend never to use this harsh product neat on any of your clients UPVC surfaces because if it dries in it will cause detrimental damage to many hard surfaces, again I am just sharing from my own experiences over the years and seeing first hand the damage it can cause if its not used with extreme caution, hope this info can be of benefit to some as I know people who have used it wrongly and it ended up costing them.

robert mitchell

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:35:01 am »
nobody suggested using it neat , i have never had a problem with it .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

PoleKing

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »
Hi Guys, not trying to put a damper on things here just to err on the side of caution as we have seen many surfaces with detrimental damage caused by G101 as its a high alkaline based harsh chemical and contains a very high pH value one of the highest you will come across, I would recommend never to use this harsh product neat on any of your clients UPVC surfaces because if it dries in it will cause detrimental damage to many hard surfaces, again I am just sharing from my own experiences over the years and seeing first hand the damage it can cause if its not used with extreme caution, hope this info can be of benefit to some as I know people who have used it wrongly and it ended up costing them.

Any news on your test results, Tadgh.
I've been doing a little experiment with TFR and UPVC myself for the last 3 months.
Up to this point, as far as I can tell, TFR does absolutely no damage to UPVC whatsoever. Undiluted.
I would be interested to hear if your experiments prove otherwise.
At the moment though-I don't think you're right to say TFR damages UPVC.
I can't speak for G101 though.
Perhaps that'll be the next test.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Elfyn

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:05 pm »
Steve H. I could telly you the best way to clean them and what chems to use, but, on past experience, it would probably be deleted by the moderators.  ???

windymiller

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 06:41:57 pm »
I use swarfega pvc cleaner from b and q, does the job for me :)

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »
nobody suggested using it neat , i have never had a problem with it .
Hi Robert, i know you did not suggest using it neat, but as you know there are many new guys come on here for advice and that is why i was sharing about using it neat and allowing it to dry into surfaces as this can turn out to be a costly mistake.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:59:01 pm »

I've been doing a little experiment with TFR and UPVC myself for the last 3 months.
Up to this point, as far as I can tell, TFR does absolutely no damage to UPVC whatsoever. Undiluted.
Hi Darren, i have plenty of information but just cant seem to find the time to put it all together, when i do i will send it on to you, on the TFR Darren are you saying that if it used neat on UPVC surfaces it does no damage if that is the case i will stand over saying it will damage UPVC if used neat.

PoleKing

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »

Hi Darren, i have plenty of information but just cant seem to find the time to put it all together, when i do i will send it on to you, on the TFR Darren are you saying that if it used neat on UPVC surfaces it does no damage if that is the case i will stand over saying it will damage UPVC if used neat.

But do you have any proof though?
I have evidence that it does no harm.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »

But do you have any proof though?
I have evidence that it does no harm.
Hi Darren, trust me after being in the industry for over 30 years yes i have plenty of proof that high alkaline based harsh chemicals cause detrimental damage to surfaces from continuous use, i think if you read back on some of my posts i have been honest in putting up my hand and admitting that i caused damage to some of my clients surfaces over the years while using high alkaline based chemicals, i was always happy to share my experiences in the hope that it would be of benefit to others and especially for the newer guys coming into our industry, as for any further discussions on these harsh chemicals i think i have said enough and will leave it there, as for the info which i will compile in a slide show and send it on to you when finished.     Regards  Tadgh