Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richywilts

now im out im considering just working alone keeping hours down and seeing the kids for few years if i worked five days a week say 9-4 how many customers do i need on six weeky id like to take home about 700 a week
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Window Lickers

Re: how many customers do u need as sole trader working alone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:22:37 pm »
Where you are Richy let say the average price is £12.00 a pop.

Take home £700 lets say you need £1000 a week for that (this is a figure before tax and associated working expenses)

1000/12 = 83 properties a week x 6 weeks equals 500 properties on your round.

Of course if you can get a higher average price per property you'll need fewer of them.

Good luck. Get grafting  :)
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »
Well put, saved me loads of typing !!

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

PoleKing

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »
Matt's done the maths.
Now you need to go for it Richy.
The simple option is the best for you I think. From your posts anyway.

Fella I started cleaning for 11 or 12 years ago. He had a round doing approx £70kp/a
I cleaned using his kit, I took half.
He built systems. Went ltd. Gave up cleaning almost entirely. But then got more vans out. Made more systems. Made more money. Good, you might think.
Yeah. His top line was fantastic!
Bottom line. After wages. Expenses. And VAT. He made less than if he was just cleaning. Unfortunately, it took him a heart attack to realise this.
He nearly died from it. He's got 4 lovely kids and a great Mrs.
Now? He's a decade older. A decade wiser.
He works a 4 day week.
Sees his family.
Enjoys life.
Does he have enough money?
Well, he lives in the same house, drives a similar type of van, his mrs drives a similar type of car.
Only now, instead of blood in his eyes, there's a bit if a cheeky twinkle.
Keep it simple. £700 p/w will pay your bills and leave a few quid for a beer on a Friday night and a holiday every now & then.
Go for it. But keep it simple. The amount of money you need and the amount you think you may want (perhaps in the future) are probably different.

All the best.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

richywilts

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:10:09 pm »
cheers for the replies i sort of worked it out myself after typing the post going off twelve quid myself think my prices are higher than that too and due a price increase after six years, i think im just gonna go down the simple route work for myself and take time off when i want etc been out with kids today on my own n had bit of time to think
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

tlwcs

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »
Great post Poleking
It's whether you can cope with the boredom of house after house, day after day.
Tony

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:48 pm »
Matt's done the maths.
Now you need to go for it Richy.
The simple option is the best for you I think. From your posts anyway.

Fella I started cleaning for 11 or 12 years ago. He had a round doing approx £70kp/a
I cleaned using his kit, I took half.
He built systems. Went ltd. Gave up cleaning almost entirely. But then got more vans out. Made more systems. Made more money. Good, you might think.
Yeah. His top line was fantastic!
Bottom line. After wages. Expenses. And VAT. He made less than if he was just cleaning. Unfortunately, it took him a heart attack to realise this.
He nearly died from it. He's got 4 lovely kids and a great Mrs.
Now? He's a decade older. A decade wiser.
He works a 4 day week.
Sees his family.
Enjoys life.
Does he have enough money?
Well, he lives in the same house, drives a similar type of van, his mrs drives a similar type of car.
Only now, instead of blood in his eyes, there's a bit if a cheeky twinkle.
Keep it simple. £700 p/w will pay your bills and leave a few quid for a beer on a Friday night and a holiday every now & then.
Go for it. But keep it simple. The amount of money you need and the amount you think you may want (perhaps in the future) are probably different.

All the best.

some proper common sense approach to life here.

Window Lickers

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »
The businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The businessman complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while.

The businessman then asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The businessman then asked, but what do you do with the rest of your time? The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos; I have a full and busy life, señor."

The businessman scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and I could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats; eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor and eventually open your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City where you would run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?" To which the businessman replied, "15-20 years." "But what then, señor?" The businessman laughed and said, "That's the best part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions." "Millions, señor? Then what?" The businessman said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "Isn't that what I'm doing right now?"

Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:26 pm »
The businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The businessman complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while.

The businessman then asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The businessman then asked, but what do you do with the rest of your time? The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos; I have a full and busy life, señor."

The businessman scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and I could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats; eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor and eventually open your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City where you would run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?" To which the businessman replied, "15-20 years." "But what then, señor?" The businessman laughed and said, "That's the best part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions." "Millions, señor? Then what?" The businessman said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "Isn't that what I'm doing right now?"

It's a very well used but very good illustration. :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

WGB

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:25 pm »
Or canvass full time for 2-3 years fill 2 vans, then you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your children, take a "siesta" with your wife, sip wine, play your bango etc etc.. with right business plan could be done easily.

oldman

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 10:03:06 pm »
Or canvass full time for 2-3 years fill 2 vans, then you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your children, take a "siesta" with your wife, sip wine, play your bango etc etc.. with right business plan could be done easily.

Been doing all the above for a while now, without any kind of business plan.....

It's so simple to make life easy and so easy to make life simple  ;) .

PoleKing

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »

No offence Richy, but i don't think this is the way forward for you.

CleanClear

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:22 pm »
Take home £700 lets say you need £1000 a week for that (this is a figure before tax and associated working expenses)

You can imagine how many are smiling at this ? How many customers does a sole trader need? and we just pluck 52k a year out the hat as a figure !! If i took 52k a year as a sole trader, i could donate 20K of it to charity and still be better off than i am now. And be better off than most proffesionals i know.
 Whats happened to the £300 difference between take home and "you need" ? Or is £300 per week the tax and associated expenses leaving a 36K Nett wage?
 When people on here refer to the generic Walter Mittys, i really believe they are specifically reffering to you, with a few others, but you are right up there.
  Hows the charity bike riding going, you still getting many do gooders from here helping your charities out with their cash ?!!! I suppose with an average or expected wage of 36k Nett you'll be pulling in more charity donations than high end Charity Functions in London, Soho !!!  ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CleanClear

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:58 pm »

You can imagine how many are smiling at this ? How many customers does a sole trader need? and we just pluck 52k a year out the hat as a figure !! If i took 52k a year as a sole trader, i could donate 20K of it to charity and still be better off than i am now. And be better off than most proffesionals i know.
 Whats happened to the £300 difference between take home and "you need" ? Or is £300 per week the tax and associated expenses leaving a 36K Nett wage?
 When people on here refer to the generic Walter Mittys, i really believe they are specifically reffering to you, with a few others, but you are right up there.
  Hows the charity bike riding going, you still getting many do gooders from here helping your charities out with their cash ?!!! I suppose with an average or expected wage of 36k Nett you'll be pulling in more charity donations than high end Charity Functions in London, Soho !!!  ;D

Sorry Window Lickers, i was quick to jump the gun there and never read the question properly. It was ....how many customers do U need.  If you need 1k per week then my heart goes out to ya. Keep up the hard work !!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:47:52 pm »
I reckon 300-350 will do it but that's higher than a £12 average.
About 310 will do it for me at current average I think but I do have a number of larger jobs.

PoleKing

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 10:50:00 pm »

Sorry Window Lickers, i was quick to jump the gun there and never read the question properly. It was ....how many customers do U need.  If you need 1k per week then my heart goes out to ya. Keep up the hard work !!!

You've not read that right.
Richy said £700 a week.
Matt's about right to ping that up to a grand before costs.

CleanClear

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 10:54:14 pm »

Richy said £700 a week.

I still don't like Window Lickers though, no idea why ?!!

PoleKing

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »

Richy said £700 a week.

Is it 'cause you fancy him but he only has eyes for Cozy.
But Cozy only has eyes for Archer
And Archer only has eyes for you?
The bizarre love quadrangle that is CIU?

CleanClear

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »

Richy said £700 a week.

Don't get me started on that lot. And to be honest you need to give Archer the respect he deserves, he's a hard man from Manchester , don't take the mick out of him, Please.  ;D

And by the way, Matts Math is still crap. £300 a week expenses for a sole trader ? Fine if your names Dean Tabener and you travel from Scotland to Devon weekly, for most of us it aint cuttin the Mustard.

I am however suprised at Richy asking this question, as Richy very well knows the possibilities of this job as he's done it long enough. I'm also suprised him needing £700 a week as he lives (or did) with his mum and dad. However he now has children to pay for out of his wages and that creates a whole new set of problems in itself.

I'm imagining the conversation with the probation officer.."so Richy, whats your plans when you leave?"............"i'll get myself sorted with a little £700 a week job, i've asked on CIU and they reckon i'll need to take 1k per week,i'll keep it simple and just stay on my own at first". Now if i was his probation officer i'd say.."let me in on this plan 'cos it beats the crap out of what i'm doing" ?

Who needs these Internet get rich quick schemes, the answers right here......window cleaning. Or charity bike riding  ;D

PoleKing

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 11:34:53 pm »

Richy said £700 a week.

Don't get me started on that lot. And to be honest you need to give Archer the respect he deserves, he's a hard man from Manchester , don't take the mick out of him, Please.  ;D

And by the way, Matts Math is still crap. £300 a week expenses for a sole trader ? Fine if your names Dean Tabener and you travel from Scotland to Devon weekly, for most of us it aint cuttin the Mustard.

I am however suprised at Richy asking this question, as Richy very well knows the possibilities of this job as he's done it long enough. I'm also suprised him needing £700 a week as he lives (or did) with his mum and dad. However he now has children to pay for out of his wages and that creates a whole new set of problems in itself.

I'm imagining the conversation with the probation officer.."so Richy, whats your plans when you leave?"............"i'll get myself sorted with a little £700 a week job, i've asked on CIU and they reckon i'll need to take 1k per week,i'll keep it simple and just stay on my own at first". Now if i was his probation officer i'd say.."let me in on this plan 'cos it beats the crap out of what i'm doing" ?

Who needs these Internet get rich quick schemes, the answers right here......window cleaning. Or charity bike riding  ;D

I was including tax @ £300p/w.
I think it's about right.
Richy's got all the kit (nearly wrote 'gear' then ;D) already.
Archer's alright. He rang me to chat about an idea I'd had. Wasn't to be. But it was nice if him to call. He had nothing to gain. (Not a midnight call before you ask ;D)