Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Daniel Clark

going back to window cleaning/canvassing
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:56:59 am »
Hi all.

Used to have a compact window round, not a massive earner but prerty decent like. I sold up as I moved house. Am now stuck in a job I hate!!!! Wish i was still self employed as I hate working for someone, nothing beats being ur own boss and doing ur work however the hell u wana do it. I just dont have the cash to buy a round tho, and canvassing myself is long and slow process to build up tp have enough work for a decent monthly i ncome. The advantage i have tho is in my job im in at the moment, i know a few possible areas i could canvass - brand new builds/estates. I work 5 days a week 7-5 then 6 days a week every other week. I just dont have time to canvass!! Would i be a bloody fool tho to leave my job and just bite the bullet and get canvassing every day???

Anyone used canvassers? How was the pricing and were results good?

Jonny 87

Re: going back to window cleaning/canvassing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:48:51 pm »
Yip.

You'd be a fool.

Don't do it.

Full time pay, sick pay holiday pay, all things you will be losing and will have a few months of next to nothing income.

Soupy will agree. :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

PoleKing

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:43 pm »
Yip.

You'd be a fool.

Don't do it.

Full time pay, sick pay holiday pay, all things you will be losing and will have a few months of next to nothing income.

Soupy will agree. :)

+1.
Fella quoted a job I do at a third of the price I charge now.
There's too much competition to give up the security of the benefits your job gives you.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:57:15 pm »
Don't think it's easy getting new customers on theses new builds. They are HAMMERED by window cleaners.

Mike #1

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »
Anyone coming on here looking to restart or start up thinks the streets are paved with gold .

Was chatting with a fellow windy last week and we both agreed their is do much competition now that to build around from scratch would be really difficult more so if you need to build a round to support a family you have got to be he very best providing the best service . Mike

Elfyn

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 09:43:41 pm »
Stay employed and find yourself a hobby. You'll live longer.  ;)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:43 am »
over the years ive ignored the advice of lots of people including family and friends.saying i cant do this or that blah,blah,blah.

rubbish.you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it and are very self motivated and determined.

nothing worth having is easy in this life mate.go for it if you have the drive.

personally i couldnt imagine starting up all over again but thats because ive been well established for many years and im older and life has got more "comfortable".i never rest on my laurels though.always striving to tweak things here and there.

good luck
price higher/work harder!

Johnny B

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:46:13 pm »
When I sold up and moved to Ireland 3 years ago, some well meaning friends here who are also window cleaners (albeit mainly commercial) felt really sorry for me, telling me that if my target market was residential, I wouldn't stand a chance. The country was in a real pickle economically, and people were losing their jobs in droves. I was nearly 50 years of age then as well, and knew I had no other viable options but to get out there and make it work.

I methodically planned out when and where I would canvass, and armed with a steely determination to succeed, coupled with the 14+ years experience in the game in the UK, I went out knocking doors within a week of arriving.

Three years on, I consider myself to be established. I am picking up new work every week, some of which I have no idea where it has come from!

To the OP, it is possible to build a window cleaning business, but it takes a lot of determination and hard graft, and there will be setbacks along the way. There is a lot of competition out there, and some customers will mess you about for fun, so it will take a few years to build a decent run.

The advantages are that you can decide when and how you work, but this has to be weighed against the disadvantages of no holiday/sick pay and dealing with bad weather and equipment failure/maintenance and other factors  which bring about downtime. But if you are determined enough and self motivated, you can succeed.

Best wishes,
John   
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

colin bird

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:30 am »
over the years ive ignored the advice of lots of people including family and friends.saying i cant do this or that blah,blah,blah.

rubbish.you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it and are very self motivated and determined.

nothing worth having is easy in this life mate.go for it if you have the drive.

personally i couldnt imagine starting up all over again but thats because ive been well established for many years and im older and life has got more "comfortable".i never rest on my laurels though.always striving to tweak things here and there.

good luck
I totally agree with you dazmond,when starting up people give negative advice,that's either due to they don't have the balls to start a business,or the drive and ambition,when I started out,a mate said to me ,surely everyone that wants a window cleaner will have one ! I'm now 6.5 years in to window cleaning,have a good round and have income forecast for year end,where I will have increased my round income by 17k in 18 months all domestic,from canvassing and recommendation,also a lot of that is on NEW BUILD SITES,what I'm saying is the work is out there if you are willing to go and find it.