This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Suffolkcleaners

Back pain
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:36:14 am »
Hi guys,recently made the change from trad to wfp(loving it)mainly working from a trolley at the moment but 6-8 weeks in my back and shoulders are so stiff and tense,mainly from lifting 25 litre barrells i imagine and constantly looking up with the wfp water fed poles..

Only in my 30's but just wondering whether you would advise a chiropractor or just a massage therapist? I'm pretty sure its nothing serious but it just needs a good massage or whatever to sort it..

Also if anyone recommends anyone in the suffolk area? Thanks for advice in advance :-)

deeege

Re: Back pain
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:47:30 am »
Get rid of the barrels and get a van/tank ASAP.

Also make sure your pole is long enough to stand well back thus reducing strain on the neck and shoulders.

Invest in the best poles you can afford too.

A good sports massage will reduce the pain temporarily and relax the muscles but it will probably return unless the cause of the problem is dealt with.

Good luck, I used to suffer badly with a bad back, not anymore fortunately.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

brianbarber

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:49:10 am »
Get a van mount
Get a decent light pole, making sure your not too close to the house when cleaning upper windows will alleviate neck and shoulder pain.

Lifting barrels all day is in my opinion, time consuming,hassle,and bad for your back.

That's it

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

brianbarber

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:49:59 am »

Also make sure your pole is long enough to stand well back thus reducing strain on the neck and shoulders.

You beat me to it!
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

deeege

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:50:55 am »

You beat me to it!

;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:54:07 am »
I did try for a few weeks a van mount but i just couldn't get on with the hose(each to there own)and find the trolley is ideal for most my round... i think defo a good pole and maybe stand back abit to avoid the tension etc.. Think a temporary massage defo in order too. Thanks guys.

Smart Carpet

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
Van mount is the answer, learn to get used to the hoses and you'll be flying, and you won't have back problems either.

8weekly

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:57:27 am »
Get a van mount and fix the reel. My back is much improved now that I don't lift the reel out of the van.

gary999

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:24:19 am »
im 46 i have no problem lifting barrels but i come from a manual
work background

All you former office boys either strengthen your core muscles
or get a van mount,bloody fannys.

Only joking ;D

Chris Buchan

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 11:25:41 am »
Before you spend money on physios and stuff like I did try exercices,you can google it.

I do about ten mins every day for my back neck and shoulders and rarely suffer pain anymore.

deeege

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:03 am »
Lying flat on your back on a flat hard surface for 20 mins a day can work wonders too.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:30:09 am »
I used a van mount for a few weeks and still had pain... i think it might be just looking up all the time.. Trolley works so much better for my round(trust me)...

Marc Stock

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:37:18 am »
Van mount for me, and a gardiner pole.

I have mounted the reel at shoulder hight so I open the back door and pull, no bending .

*Hector*

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 11:42:56 am »
work background

Only joking ;D

Not everyone has your "chunkiness" Gary... Your "bulk" makes a good counterbalance for the lifting of barrels...

;D ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

andyM

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 11:45:05 am »
I used a van mount for a few weeks and still had pain... i think it might be just looking up all the time.. Trolley works so much better for my round(trust me)...

Lifting the barrels about won't be helping the situation.
Seeing as you mention you have the equipment for a van mount and prefer to use a trolley why not try filling the van water tank in the morning and using a small submersible pump or the van system wfp pump to fill your trolley?
That way you will not have to physically move 25 ltr barrels of water about for your day's work and will only be filling one barrel via the pump.
It will drastically cut down on what you will be lifting around each day.
One of the Plebs

gary999

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:04 pm »
work background

Only joking ;D

Not everyone has your "chunkiness" Gary... Your "bulk" makes a good counterbalance for the lifting of barrels...

;D ;D ;D

Nothing wrong with being chunky matey especially if you take the
c off the front ;)

bloody hell i sound like old ben m...i think i might just go and be sick ;D

Chris Buchan

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

Lifting the barrels about won't be helping the situation.
Seeing as you mention you have the equipment for a van mount and prefer to use a trolley why not try filling the van water tank in the morning and using a small submersible pump or the van system wfp pump to fill your trolley?
That way you will not have to physically move 25 ltr barrels of water about for your day's work and will only be filling one barrel via the pump.
It will drastically cut down on what you will be lifting around each day.

Good idea,you can also just use gravity,2 mins fills a drum with 1/2 inch hose but you can get an inch fitting and hose then fill in under a minute.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 01:58:49 pm »
Having fell off a roof and spent ££££££££££££££££££££££££ on every treatment known to man all it took was a £10 and this book.

If you have lower back pain BUY THIS book NOW!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0959804927

JUST READ THE REVIEWS. AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0987650408/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405774697&sr=1-1&keywords=Treat+Your+Own+Back

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »

robbo333

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
If you find larger hose a pain then why not add 25 metres of POLE HOSE to your backpack and leave your backpack at the front of the house. Go round the house with just the pole hose and that will save a lot of trolley moving. I find pole hose easier to handle.
Unfortunately I am with everyone else and think you would benefit from a van mount...and possibly a backpack for the real awkward. I use a van mount with 60 metres of pole hose. Personally, I love it but that's me.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"