Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Glen

Problem with rubber leaving streaks
« on: April 02, 2006, 10:33:13 pm »
A problem I have is when using a new rubber it is alright initially but after a few hours’ use it starts leaving comb-like streaks about four inches wide at the end of the squeegee.

It happens on both the 14” and 18” squeegees but is more problematic on the 18” as there is less pressure at the end of the rubber. It’s almost as if the rubber is becoming contaminated.

I am using Unger channels, pulex rubber and Squeegee Off detergent with a small amount of Sorboglide added.

carl stanton

Re: Problem with rubber leaving streaks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:34:40 pm »
do you use a side kick bucket/ bucket on a bealt  ???

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:36:31 pm »
I do and i get the same probs , come on Carl , whats the answer ?

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

master cleaner

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:37:40 pm »
A problem I have is when using a new rubber it is alright initially but after a few hours’ use it starts leaving comb-like streaks about four inches wide at the end of the squeegee.

It happens on both the 14” and 18” squeegees but is more problematic on the 18” as there is less pressure at the end of the rubber. It’s almost as if the rubber is becoming contaminated.

I am using Unger channels, pulex rubber and Squeegee Off detergent with a small amount of Sorboglide added.

try bending the edges if the channel very slightly then you wont have to use as much pressure espesially on the 18inch

gary

Glen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:43:50 pm »
do you use a side kick bucket/ bucket on a bealt 

Yes

try bending the edges if the channel very slightly then you wont have to use as much pressure espesially on the 18inch

But why is it not causing a problem in the first place? It only occurs after a few hours use.

carl stanton

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 10:44:50 pm »
some times the hip buckets scar the blade! from the lips on the pulex one does with me try this [pic]
this is where to buy from
http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/New_Products.html
or you could use one of your old blades!!

Glen

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:05:46 pm »
Had this problem before and glued a piece of rubber on to it which did the trick. This is not a kink in one place -  it's more of a contact problem several inches wide. As I say, as if the rubber is contaminated.

carl stanton

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:28:36 pm »
 ??? headbutt  ??? im  a bit stumpted! there is nothing in the bottom of your hip bucket is there say grit, or do you have a habit like mine and wipe the sill with your blade?  :'(   :'(

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:39:31 pm »
 hi i use a an old blade bent over between openings does the trick and its free ;D

carl stanton

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:49:21 pm »
what you so happy about callum  ??? not that its a bad thing

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 08:56:39 pm »
what you so happy about callum  ??? not that its a bad thing

pressed post before i was ready ???

carl stanton

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:09 pm »
some times the hip buckets scar the blade! from the lips on the pulex one does with me try this [pic]
this is where to buy from
http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/New_Products.html
or you could use one of your old blades!!

agreed callum i do the same! works for me!

Glen

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 04:14:27 pm »
Still having this problem. It is not worn ends or scored rubber. My supplier has kindly agreed to replace some of the rubbers in the event of the last lot being a bad batch but in case it is not this, what else might be causing this? It's as if the blade is not making proper contact with the glass because it is contaminated.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 05:01:07 pm »
Have you tried changing the channel and the handle?

I remember having a rotten three days, squeegying with a bent channel, that possibly was bent after dropping it from to top of my ladders.

Change the handle too; just in case.

Glen

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 08:52:38 pm »
I'm still having the same problem and have now a conspiracy theory: are the rubbers now made to leave streaks so you replace them more often? 

I am using the most popular rubber in the UK. After approximately six hours of use  the rubber starts leaving streaks. Here is as much detail as possible:

I've replaced the squeegee handles and channels.
The ends are not worn out - it is a four inch strip of the rubber at the end that leaves streaks, especially when turning. It's as if it is not making full contact with the glass or has perforated or is contaminated with oil. It does dry streaky - I have tried leaving it.

If I turn it round it still does the same on the other side. 
I use rain water with GG3 and a dash of Ecover dish soap. 
My scrim is washed in softened water with Ecover detergent. 
When I change the rubber it is alright for the first six hours or so.

I have always used 18" and 14" dogeared squeegees and when the ends wore out on the 18" I cut it down to use on the 14". Both used to last me about a week and now only six hours!

My supplier kindly replaced some of the last batch but the latest one is the same. Is anyone experiencing similar problems?

Bazzy1999

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 09:10:38 pm »
I must admit im getting the same problem with the last batch of Pulex soft rubbers but they are only lasting about 2 - 3 hours but they have been fine until i got this lot and im doing no different to what i normally do.
I to have tried a new handle and channel but still the same but mine is right across the blade.

Bazz..

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 11:51:24 pm »
Hmm, I'm using Unger rubber, and really have no problem at all....they last a long time

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 08:33:49 am »
With a good blade and a good rubber, you should be able to put your finger in the pole hole, and wipe a clear area with-out any pressure.

I had a freebie from Pulex, but to be honest I found them c**p so went back to my unger rubbers, no problems since.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 08:46:08 am »
Me thinks im going to try some Unger rubbers next....

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 12:42:36 pm »
I wouldn't bother mate.
Not unless you want endless problems with lines and bits breaking off them.

I've tried lots lately as I did a post about the best rubbers a week or two ago.
Best I've used are Ettore and SYR.

Neither cut up, and both glide really fast. ;)
Unger are bin-fodder.