Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mufcglen

di problem
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
hi guys im running twin 11 ltr di bottles and using nothing but mb115 resin,my tap water is 70-75ppm and i recently replaced a bottle and put the older bottle to the rear and newer after and was back to 0 ppm but 2 weeks later i noticed today my tds meter is reading 2-3 ppm, i know this is fine to work of but ive always worked of 0 and dont want to start getting sloppy plus ive got the worry it could rise like crazy while im out and about.
got home tonight and stripped the system down and checked the oldest bottle and it appears to be taking the ppm down about 5pmm which is pretty much nothing so i opened the new bottle i filled a few weeks ago and just topped it back up with a few scoops of resin and closed it back up but did notice on the surface of the water there was a white residue?
i built everything back up after giving the bottles a roll and shake and run system for 5 mins and still 2-3 ppm, im not sure what else to do apart from replace the older bottle resin as i still got a full spare bag but cant understand why my new bottle would last a few weeks before starting to creep up surely thats not right?
can the old bottle filled with older resin in the line before the new resin filled bottle cause problems?

alfie11

Re: di problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »
You seem to be focused on your time frame 2-3 weeks which is not really relevant, how much water are you using is the question, You have said you are busy with work so maybe that's your answer.

mufcglen

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
true pal but im not using much more water when i fill up every day and ive put my flow rate down to 40-45 on the controller that i find is saving alot of water as opposed to 50-55 before.
i might just change the older resin and see how long it lasts again before it rises but the funny thing is it wont rise past 2-3 ppm, when ive had resin go before i just carried on rising by the end of the day?

Soupy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »
I think the top of the riser isn't sealing properly. Take it out and have a look. I have had instances where the top of the tube is oval.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Mike #1

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:09:19 am »
Personally you would be better off with an RO long term I was RO for about 4 years then switched to DI only now going back to RO in the next few weeks .

Loads easier and loads cheaper . Mike

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
What resin are you using?

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:01 am »
im currently using around 7000-8000L a  month and change my resin roughly every 4 months.(25kg bag)double DI only.

my tap tds is 30-35 though.i use MB115 TULSION resin.

somethings not right somewhere mate.have you checked your tap tds lately?it could have gone up.a few years ago mine went up to over 100tds for a few weeks before going back down to the normal reading of 30-35.
price higher/work harder!

mufcglen

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:58:06 am »
Hi guys I'm using the tulsion mb115 virgin mixed resin and never had any probs before, as regards using an ro it's not really feasible where I live mid terrace and having to pump water through the home etc!
With di I just have a stop tap at the front of the house and connect to my van lost to fill tank in ten mins and away I go!
I took the lid off yesterday and took the tune out to check the I ring etc and all looked ok so that's why I'm puzzled.
I'm gonna work today with 2-3 ppm and keep checking it and see if it makes any difference me playing about with it last night as I remember last time it didn't go to 0 straight away untill after a job or two and tonight I'll replace one of the bottles and make a note of how much water I use.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:59 am »
it takes me an hour to fill my 500L tank DI only and you say you fill your tank in 10 mins?i think your running the water through the DI too fast mate?that could have an effect on the tds.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

mufcglen

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 10:13:32 am »
Hi dazmond, sorry I meant I fill my tank with tap water than di it as I use it through controller!
New update though, this morning while out using the system I can see bits when in washing the glass down that dissintigrate?
It almost looks like resin, could I have messed the resin up stirring it last night and would it come through the lines like that?
The windows are drying fine still?

colley614

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:35:27 am »
What TDS meter are you using, can calibrate it?

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 03:18:37 pm »
Hi dazmond, sorry I meant I fill my tank with tap water than di it as I use it through controller!
New update though, this morning while out using the system I can see bits when in washing the glass down that dissintigrate?
It almost looks like resin, could I have messed the resin up stirring it last night and would it come through the lines like that?
The windows are drying fine still?

Possibly got the flow going in and out of DI the wrong way round. Check inlet and outlet are facing the right way.
We look at them, they look through them.

mufcglen

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:27:03 pm »
A td3 I think it's called pal, it's still reading there's about 70ppm from my tap, I'm pretty certain that the stuff that's coming out is resin now, think I've upset it or overfilled the tank when I topped it up last night, going home to change it out now😉

colley614

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »
I used to calibrate mine from time to time as mine used to show 2-3 ppm. If you have resin coming through then you have probably damaged the riser in the centre of the resin vessel. Double check that the water flow is connected the right way around. Wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last if it's that.

mufcglen

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
Definately right direction on water feed, can you overfill the di bottles as I topped it up last night and topped it higher than I normally fill them?
Didn't change it out today as I only had 3 more cleans and it wasn't affecting the finish on the windows but tomorrow I'm going to change it all out which is abit gutting knowing I only filled it a few weeks ago!

mufcglen

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 07:05:50 pm »
update
first thing this morning before i went out i took both bottles out but before that i checked each bottle's ppm, the latest resin bottle was reading 1-2ppm and the older bottle that was first in the line was reading 87-90 ppm, thats higher than the actual tap reading for some reason?
anyway i opened the newest bottle and took some of the resin out as i brimmed it then put it first in line and cleared out the old resin in the other bottle and filled it with brand new resin, pumped a few litres through and straight back to 0 ppm no messing, also the bits of resin i kept seeing on the glass when washing down has gone so wonder if i had overfilled it or something but anyways all good again and just see how long it lasts this time just strange how the old bottle was reading higher than the actual tap reading?

Don Kee

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »
The resin is spent in the old bottle
Can i ask why you only empty a bit of the resin and the top up?
Would have thought it makes more sense to empty the lot and re fill...
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

Soupy

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »
Resin collects impurities. Getting higher tds from filter 1 than your tap is normal. Change the resin again as you would as normal. Should last a while.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Chris Buchan

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »
Theirs your problem there.

The first bottle will keep absorbing impurities and is higher than your tap water,

so instead of less than 70ppm going in to your second bottle you've got 90ppm going in and resin creeping up quiker.

colley614

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 09:08:08 pm »
Although I've heard of this technique of running two vessels in series like this, I've never tried it. Now that I have read this I'm wondering if it worth doing it at all. I mean what's the point if the spent resin is actually putting water through the other resin at a higher TDS than your tap?

If it was me, I'd have one with fresh resin in and change over once the TDS started creeping up.