This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonny 87

Too much membrane flushing?
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »
Is there any problem with over flushing membranes?

I tend to flush them quite a lot, sometimes leaving it overnight.

Is there any negative effects to flushing membranes a lot or is it only positive?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dave f

Re: Too much membrane flushing?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:39 pm »
why would you want to flush over knight. if in doubt ask the maufacturer.i flush mine for 20 mins once a week and have done for the last 4years

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
overnight  :o
take it you are not on a water meter then ?  :D ;D

combat1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »
Accidently left mine flushing with the booster pump running for ages, no damage luckily.

CleanClear

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:10:46 pm »
The only downside to overflushing your membranes is shortening the life of your pre filters.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

dannymack

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »
Very rarely flush mine, if that's all the flushing does is save the life of the membranes don't think ill bother !!!! I changed my last membranes last year had about 5 years only cost £90 for the three of them !!! 450 GPD RO !!!😝😏😝

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »
My last one lasted about five years too,I put a new one in about three weeks ago

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:35 am »
With my little 450gpd ro when I flush the membranes it produces pure at 000. Wheras when I'm not flushing it it produces 003. It still produces about 700 litres of pure a day while it's in flush, which is fine for me, So was just curious if I could keep doing that.

Thanks for input guys.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

SeanK

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:11:40 am »
With my little 450gpd ro when I flush the membranes it produces pure at 000. Wheras when I'm not flushing it it produces 003. It still produces about 700 litres of pure a day while it's in flush, which is fine for me, So was just curious if I could keep doing that.

Thanks for input guys.

Jonny if your producing 000 water then your not flushing.
What your actually doing is running a higher percentage of water to waste.

Jonny 87

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:40 am »

Thanks for input guys.

Really? I thought it was normal.

When I open the flush valve the water rushes out the waste pipe very quick, but I still get a lower flow rate of pure. Reads 000.

I thought when ever you flush your membranes you still get a little bit of pure production?

Pete Thompson

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:25:26 am »
The only downside to overflushing your membranes is shortening the life of your pre filters.

Agreed, and prefilters are cheap as chips.

SeanK

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:51 pm »

Thanks for input guys.

When I open the flush valve the water rushes out the waste pipe very quick, but I still get a lower flow rate of pure. Reads 000.

I thought when ever you flush your membranes you still get a little bit of pure production?

I think it is normal for certain types of  R.O. but what I was trying to explain badly is that all waste water is flush water.
So if your running at 20% pure to 80% waste then its not a full flush but the extra flow of waste water should still clean
the membrane.
I cant see any problem with the way you are running your R.O. other than using extra water.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 01:00:16 am »

Thanks for input guys.

I think it is normal for certain types of  R.O. but what I was trying to explain badly is that all waste water is flush water.
So if your running at 20% pure to 80% waste then its not a full flush but the extra flow of waste water should still clean
the membrane.
I cant see any problem with the way you are running your R.O. other than using extra water.

I'm with ya now.

Thanks Sean.