Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ashley Brothwood

Working from a flat roof
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:41 pm »
I know everyone has their own opinions on working from a flat roof but no one can say this is safe!

Look how close the ladder is to falling off the roof

sunshine windows

Re: Working from a flat roof
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »
With the depth of the porch way, there's no real danger there at all
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

CleanClear

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:15 pm »
Thats not the fail pic i thought it was going to be. It doesn't look inherently dangerous to me. The most dangerous thing i can see about what he's done or doing is getting on and off the flat roof with such a small ladder.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

dave f

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:50 am »
when i was trad i put my foot through a flat roof id droped my scrim walked 2 steps .that was it it was rotten. only thing olding to gether was asphelt id been doing it for a while.it was an accident waiting to hapen.custy was alright about it even made me a cuppa to get over shock ;D.from that day i refused to do any windows over flat roofs .going wfp was the best thing ive done.apart from winning 10 grand on a scrach card ;D ;D ;D

robertphil

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:52:57 am »
the main risk on roofs is when you are over 12 stone in weight .  after 14 you are a liability ,in every way

andyM

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:17 am »
The new flat roof systems being used at present are great.
Fibreglass and also EDPM roofing systems should greatly outlast the previous felt alternatives which are more prone to water ingress causing damp.
If I do go up on a flat roof (which is rare) I always try to walk along the wall plate (edge) as much as possible, by doing this the impact of your bodyweight should be minimal on the strength of the roof's supporting structure.
One of the Plebs

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »
The new flat roof systems being used at present are great.
Fibreglass and also EDPM roofing systems should greatly outlast the previous felt alternatives which are more prone to water ingress causing damp.
If I do go up on a flat roof (which is rare) I always try to walk along the wall plate (edge) as much as possible, by doing this the impact of your bodyweight should be minimal on the strength of the roof's supporting structure.

Ironically, doing it your way is regarded as more dangerous due to being close to the edge.  I stuck my foot through soggy chipboard once.  Chipboard is now a banned material for roofs but there will still be many that were constructed before the rules changed.  The move has been towards materials that hold their strength even when wet - in case water seeps below the outer protective skin.  That way a problem would likely be noticed inside the house before the roof became dangerous for someone on it.