Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike #1

Re: Pump or Battery or both?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 05:02:47 am »
I dont use split charger either just leisure battery in pump box , I can get a 60ah for £60:00 need to know if it is worth spending an extra £40:00 .

So you are saying you have never had to charge the battery running your pump , How many months have you had it . Thanks Mike

Frankybadboy

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:52 am »
Hi  everyone this is an intresting read for me as i bring in my pump box battery and charge every night.

Robert if i were to copy yourself i could buy a bosch car battery for £130 strap battery down for safety in back of van, then get an auto electrician to fit a split charger so battery in back of van never has to come out.

Anyone know roughly what cost for having split charger fitted?

thanks lee.
so easy to fit your self ????????

did you fit it then  :P :P :P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161270572314?redirect=mobile

Really easy to fit yourself, not had to charge leisure battery in 6months and probably do around 50miles a week

Edit : sorry i meant 100-150 miles a week!

PoleKing

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:16 am »
http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banner/produkte/batterien/starting_bull/index2_en.php

One of these, ask a GOOD motor factors what you require for your van, they should ask your reg number or ask for some details.
I run my van off one and have one to run the system, no split charger!! I NEVER take it out to charge and never had a flat battery for starting the van. I run a flowjet pump with manual flow controlller with a bypass for my hot system so my pump pretty much runs constant all day. Used to have 2 reels running off the one pump running just about flat out, again no problems. Since fitting the Banner (2 years ago) never had any worries.

Split chargers can cause you all sorts of problems, I have seen them nearly completely melted causing rapid battery drain and this was installed correctly and fused.
Wfp'ers cannot earn any money without a 'decent' battery its worth buying quality IMO.   

No split charger and you don't have to charge it?
Have you got one if them everlasting batteries?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

robert mitchell

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:16 am »
http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banner/produkte/batterien/starting_bull/index2_en.php

One of these, ask a GOOD motor factors what you require for your van, they should ask your reg number or ask for some details.
I run my van off one and have one to run the system, no split charger!! I NEVER take it out to charge and never had a flat battery for starting the van. I run a flowjet pump with manual flow controlller with a bypass for my hot system so my pump pretty much runs constant all day. Used to have 2 reels running off the one pump running just about flat out, again no problems. Since fitting the Banner (2 years ago) never had any worries.

Split chargers can cause you all sorts of problems, I have seen them nearly completely melted causing rapid battery drain and this was installed correctly and fused.
Wfp'ers cannot earn any money without a 'decent' battery its worth buying quality IMO.   

No split charger and you don't have to charge it?
Have you got one if them everlasting batteries?

exactly what i was thinking .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »
YOU CAN STILL HAVE A SECONDARY BATTERY CONNECTED TO YOUR ALTERNATOR WITHOUT A SPLIT CHARGER!
Mine is connected to the main van battery positive to positive and the secondary batteries 'earthed' to the chassis.
It has been fitted this way for at least 24 months and I have never removed either battery to charge it.

Forget about a £60 leisure battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy a 'brodex' pole or you can buy an 'slx' ! No comparison, get what I am saying?

To those that are doubting my methods can I ask you this, What is a split charger designed to do?

Mike #1

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 08:29:00 pm »
I dont think you explained things properly first mate that is all , As i use my battery independently like a lot of lads i was wanting to know approximate the lifespan of the battery .

I currently use a Halfords 60ah battery had it 14 months now used for about 12 months still under a 2 year warranty so  might chance taking it back for an exchange when its closer to been knackered . Mike

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:53 pm »
Hi Mike, I was commenting on the 'magic everlasting battery comment'

People spend fortunes on vans, kit, pumps, controllers etc then spend as little as possible on the one thing that makes it all work.
I would not want to be removing my batteries to charge once a month never mind twice a week.

Duracell and cheap china batteries spring to mind. Both power the same item BUT theres a massive difference in performance.

A split chargers job is simply to stop you running your van battery down so low that your van wont start, it does not add power or help in any way with the charging of your second battery. (in fact can hinder charging current if its cheap!)

lee_dewing

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02:35 pm »
David.

Sorry i am a d.i.y wally ;D

You just connected wire from van battery positive terminal, run wire in van connected to positive on work battery and as you say just earthed battery on bodywork.

Or alternator is connected in.

did you do this yourself?,or auto electrician?

thanks David.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »
Correct Lee.
Also, fitted myself, used to be auto electrician if that helps.

lee_dewing

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:07 pm »
Thanks David.
Lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »
make sure you put a fuse in the cable as close to the van battery as possible to avoid any mishaps!

Stephen.C

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:05 am »
Update, New battery fitted and battery condition indicator with smart charger.
The condition indicator work's on a traffic light system, im very concerned that I can pump for no more than 2 hours without going into the red. When its red it means less than 60% of charge is left in the battery. The Van starts ok and turns over much faster. At night after the fill ,I check the indicator to see what light is glowing on the indicator, the last few nights is has stayed green and once went to orange, but that was after a backwash using the pump.
Yesterday luckily I was working on a job and got talking to a engineer who offered me a meter to see what my pump was pulling amp wise whilst pumping. In short the longer I pump the warmer the pump gets and more current the pump requires. He said when that pump get very hot to touch....... bin it as it will flatten your battery in a very short space of time.
So it looks like I had a combination of both a very week battery and a pump that is wearing out.

I probably didn't now need to get the smart charger as the pump is wearing out, but it will prolong the life of the battery with its condition mode.   http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ctek/mxs-5-0-12v-battery-charger-and-conditioner.aspx
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

Dave Willis

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 07:27:01 am »
More money  ;D

I've got a collection of pumps in my garage now - never entirely sure if there's anything wrong with them to be honest.
Running a Flojet at the moment - expensive but seems pretty solid. Interestingly one site refused to sell them as they reckon Flojets pull too much current.

Stephen.C

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 07:39:15 am »
Lol yes Dave, done very well mate its 5 years old.
It's ok for now. Its a Ionic pump very good but as normal its marked up greatly.
http://www.ionicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=170
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

Spruce

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:20 am »
make sure you put a fuse in the cable as close to the van battery as possible to avoid any mishaps!

Hi Dave

Interesting thread.

I'm still trying to get my head around this.

My deduction to is this; with the batteries being linked together, both the van and second battery will be supplying your power needs. This is the same principle as lorry batteries; two 12 volt batteries linked together to give a 24 volt output. We were always taught that both batteries had to be the same/similar size as the smaller battery would always do more work and tend to fail first.

Hence if I was to drain my battery today by 20% then being linked together would theoretically (if both batteries were the same) use 10% from each battery.

What size cable would you recommend to link the two batteries together and what size fuse do you use? Also, would distance from the van battery to the second battery complicate matters? I would say that most of us have our second batteries in the back of the van.

I also think that a good starter battery, leaning toward the spec of a traction battery, is more expensive than a good quality leisure battery. I don't know how much Oak Road Motor Factors charges for a 110 amp Banner battery, bit it would probably be more than the £80 I paid for my Numax 110 amph unit 3 years ago.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 08:14:45 am »
Toyota Hiace runs two batteries as standard. I have a live feed and switch from one of them to power my pump. Would this be a similar set up? I presume both batteries start the van in my case. My batteries are seven years old now and touch wood I've never had a problem since powering my pump for the last couple of years or more. Wouldn't the alternator need an upgrade to cope with a second battery on other vans?

Spruce

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 08:28:17 am »
Toyota Hiace runs two batteries as standard. I have a live feed and switch from one of them to power my pump. Would this be a similar set up? I presume both batteries start the van in my case. My batteries are seven years old now and touch wood I've never had a problem since powering my pump for the last couple of years or more. Wouldn't the alternator need an upgrade to cope with a second battery on other vans?

Hi Dave

Yes, this is the same setup as David Kents is. Malc (Gold's) Hyundi van also has two batteries I believe.

Transit chassis cabs where sold with the same twin battery packs as standard as most went on to become tippers and needed the extra power to drive the hydraulic ram. They also had bigger alternators. Most other manufacturers also offer the twin battery pack option as a factory fit extra although its very customer specific.

I know on the Transit vans the cables that link the batteries together are heavy duty battery cables.
Hence the question to Dave Kent about what size cable he uses.

I think it was standard on all Hiaces but if its standard fit on the new van sourced from PSA, then it will be a spec addition as PSA doesn't do twin batteries as standard on their Dispatch/Expert/Scudo models.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:27 pm »
Hi Bruce, I use a good quality 17 amp cable, battery is in the back with a 15 amp fuse.
Battery is a 85ah banner linked to a 65ah.
My pump is 12 years old, dont know if it really heats up as Im too busy cleaning windows lol.
IMO keeping everything simple (no scr or monitors and meters) gives your battery every chance possible.
I have known batteries to be drained overnight by a single flashing LED. IMO the quality of your battery is the most important aspect in all this. Oak road charged me £110 at the time for the 85ah. (battery prices go up and down with the scrap metal prices)

Spruce

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 08:18:53 pm »
Hi Dave.
This is interesting as I would have thought that the draw from the starter motor would have demanded a higher amperage from the second battery than the size cable you are using and the rated fuse.

If anyone asked me I would have said that 15amp fuse would have blown the first time they started their engine.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:04 am »
Never blown yet. Technically speaking it should but doesnt on any of the 3 vans.