Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stephen.C

Pump or Battery or both?
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:30 pm »
On a commercial job today and pumped water on a ionic 100 psi for 2 and half hours. The pump was set at quarter speed which I normally set at for most jobs. ( I think if a control unit was fitted it would be on 2/3 ) went to move the van and the battery was almost flat, so slow to turn over. The pump was warm to touch but not hot. I've heard that when your pump starts to age and get hot, it draws more power from your battery. Battery is less than two years old and the pump is nearly 5 years. I don't use a leisure battery, it's straight off the van battery as is the fill solenoid. Thanks Steve
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

Dave Willis

Re: Pump or Battery or both?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »
Battery I reckon.

H20cleaning

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:26:43 am »
Battery.
If you dont use a leisure one then it will eventually burn out because your taking charge out of it then charging it back up again, and a car battery is designed to charge whilst the engine is in use, not to be run down then recharged

robert mitchell

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:25:42 am »
Battery.
If you dont use a leisure one then it will eventually burn out because your taking charge out of it then charging it back up again, and a car battery is designed to charge whilst the engine is in use, not to be run down then recharged

its funny i and many others use car batteries with no problem at all.

I also see plenty of people on here moaning there leisure battery has only lasted a year or less.

A good quality car battery will run a wfp pump with ease and will charge quicker.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

H20cleaning

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:56 am »
i also use car batteries hense why i know straight away this is the problem, on of the cells in the battery will have gone so it will loose charge fast due to continuous charge.

When a car battery is drained then charged again over a long period of time it will become weak.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:05:26 am »
A leisure (deep cycle) battery and a vehicle battery are very different in there charge/discharge cycles

A vehicle battery is designed to provide a lot of amps in a very short burst then recharge slowly via the alternator while the engine is running.
A Leisure battery is designed to give lower amps over a prolonged period, It will also take longer to recharge.

The risk of using your vehicle battery to run WFP is that you are likely to run the battery to low to start the vehicle.

Based on your comments Steve I would tend to lean toward the battery being the source of your problem.
Battery Basics: http://www.progressivedyn.com/battery_basics.html

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:56 am »
I have found over the years that it is a rare battery that can survive for more than two years being used also to run the vehicle. On average I have found them to last for 18 months maximum when being used to do both jobs.

I now use a two battery system as it is not fun getting stranded at a job because the vehicle will not start. However although the science would say that a leisure battery is best I have found in practice that a standard large vehicle battery actually survives longer than a leisure battery - maximum I have had from a leisure battery is about 26 months being used as a second battery with a split charger whereas I am on my 5th year with a large capacity standard vehicle battery and split charger (vehicle does have an uprated alternator though).

Stephen.C

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:12 am »
Thank you chaps. I have got three days off now so I'm sorting it, popped in fords, Nothing wrong with the battery.
The technician said its the lowest amp battery the van can have and said the pump and fill solenoid are running the battery down. He suggested a higher amp battery.....£165 plus vat :o
Went to ATS same battery £105 inc VAT. Having it fitted this afternoon. He also recommended a smart charger that I can plug in and basically leave on overnight weekend holiday etc.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:39:51 am »
i use the car battery as a second battery that is charged via a split charger not using the van battery itself .

Never have to charge my battery and i believe a car battery can take a higher charge rate.

All the theory about discharge cycles etc is great but its what happens practically that is important.

In my opinion car/van batteries are much higher quality because car manufacturers don't expect people who buy there vehicles to have to replace the battery after a couple of years.

Even a car battery from the scrappy is better than a new leisure battery in my opinion.

The bosch s5 batteries are what i would buy though , 110 ah for £130 .

Its also capable of starting the van if you leave your lights on , couple of jump leads from the system battery and away you go.

Stephen.C

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:59:36 pm »
Had the new battery fitted and the smart charger for less money than what ford want to charge me.
This is the charger I have fitted  http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php. Thanks for your help.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:28 pm »
BANNER batteries. Please EVERYONE listen to me!!  8)

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »
Hi  everyone this is an intresting read for me as i bring in my pump box battery and charge every night.

Robert if i were to copy yourself i could buy a bosch car battery for £130 strap battery down for safety in back of van, then get an auto electrician to fit a split charger so battery in back of van never has to come out.

Anyone know roughly what cost for having split charger fitted?

thanks lee.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Don Kee

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 08:38:30 pm »
Hi  everyone this is an intresting read for me as i bring in my pump box battery and charge every night.

Robert if i were to copy yourself i could buy a bosch car battery for £130 strap battery down for safety in back of van, then get an auto electrician to fit a split charger so battery in back of van never has to come out.

thanks lee.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161270572314?redirect=mobile

Really easy to fit yourself, not had to charge leisure battery in 6months and probably do around 50miles a week

Edit : sorry i meant 100-150 miles a week!
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:02 pm »
Thanks very much for that Don ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

robert mitchell

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:40 pm »
Hi  everyone this is an intresting read for me as i bring in my pump box battery and charge every night.

thanks lee.

Grippa fitted mine  when fitting tank so not sure exact cost , i do know however the one they fit is of very good quality and is available on there website .

its pretty easy to fit yourself i think but wouldn't cost too much for an auto elec to do it for you.

i would go for the btter quality one rather than a cheapo.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:47 pm »
BANNER not Bosch IMO

Mike #1

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »
Why banner please divulge . Mike

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
Having a friend who has been selling batteries for over 30 years to the motor trade and public gives me a bit of an edge.  ;)
He does not work for banner but after selling every battery make under the sun this is the only one he stocks. His reason is they are very very reliable.
I use them and have never had any problems.
Hope this helps

Mike #1

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 06:34:09 pm »
what size battery do you use and how long have you used it for , Needing to buy one in the next week only getting 2 days out of my current battery . Thanks Mike

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 07:56:00 pm »
http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banner/produkte/batterien/starting_bull/index2_en.php

One of these, ask a GOOD motor factors what you require for your van, they should ask your reg number or ask for some details.
I run my van off one and have one to run the system, no split charger!! I NEVER take it out to charge and never had a flat battery for starting the van. I run a flowjet pump with manual flow controlller with a bypass for my hot system so my pump pretty much runs constant all day. Used to have 2 reels running off the one pump running just about flat out, again no problems. Since fitting the Banner (2 years ago) never had any worries.

Split chargers can cause you all sorts of problems, I have seen them nearly completely melted causing rapid battery drain and this was installed correctly and fused.
Wfp'ers cannot earn any money without a 'decent' battery its worth buying quality IMO.