Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stuartb

Go Cardless - HELP!
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:14:15 pm »
I discovered Go Cardless a few days ago and today pitched it verbally to nine customers. One agreed. Several were elderly and were not interested which I kind of understand. But three were computer literate but declined saying they were not happy giving away there details. I'm interested to know how exactly (word for word) anyone using this service with success has sold it to there customers? I desperately want to make this work. I'm keen to know, did you ask people if they'd like to pay this way or did you tell them they had to?

Thanks for any advice,
Stu

Paul Coleman

Re: Go Cardless - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:05 am »
I discovered Go Cardless a few days ago and today pitched it verbally to nine customers. One agreed. Several were elderly and were not interested which I kind of understand. But three were computer literate but declined saying they were not happy giving away there details. I'm interested to know how exactly (word for word) anyone using this service with success has sold it to there customers? I desperately want to make this work. I'm keen to know, did you ask people if they'd like to pay this way or did you tell them they had to?

Thanks for any advice,
Stu

In all honesty, if I were a customer and had several choices of how to pay, I would probably only use two of them - cash and BACS.  There are enough potential security issues and those two, IMO, are the least likely to be a problem.

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:21 am »
For all new customers "we only accept payment by direct debit" this will sort out the messes and one offs

Existing customers more of a targeted affair:
Bad payers-we only accept payment by direct debit, if they cancel lost nothing, gained time
out of the way jobs, as above
and so on

stuartb

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:18:52 am »
Yeah, your both in your thoughts. I just really want to get some existing customers on board. Sounds like some people are having a lot of success with this service

Crystal-clear

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:47 am »
I swear by it now , I was so stupid not to have pushed it before if I did by now I'm sure I'd have another van out full time,

New customers we only accept direct debit no cash or bacs strictly direct debit

Old customers there is no way to sell it you need to bite the bullet and be firm
"Hello mrs jones we are switching over to direct debit can I have your email address so we can send you our mandate" you haven't tryed to sell anything and you mustn't sound like you are giving them options otherwise they will say no

With the old customers I sent out 30 notifications and have 14 active which I'm quite pleased at , some have said yes on the phone then no on email others who didn't  
Sign up ended up transferring what they owed via online banking I was going to call them all up but thought ill leave them as now each time the clean is done ill just send out a reminder and call them so they realise that its less stressful if they just sign up or other hand they will just pay fast to avoid me asking them.

I'm not too worried about old customers but new customers is only direct debit if they call me but if I canvass which I havnt for a while ill offer trail clean pay how you like but if we are going back for regular its only direct debit or not interested will charge up too 2 cleans for the first clean and tempt them with the discount only via direct debit

Out of 10 cleans if 3 sign it that's more worth it then all 10 sticking IMO

easy clean

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:15:22 am »
The details that you have to provide go cardless with are no different to what is readily available on the cheques that they send. I pushed by reassuring them that it was not done by us it was the actual direct debit company that they would use for say their gas and electric bills, also that it is all guaranteed by the direct debit guarantee.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:34 am »
And there you go as easy says that's a good way of selling it but in general don't give them options cos if you do they will take them. If you sell yourself as a direct debit window cleaner from the get go it will be normal

stuartb

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:50 pm »
Thanks guys excellent help and advice. I'm not very good at sales, I'll just have to be firm. I didn't ask any customers today to sign up, I just couldn't face what felt like a confrontation :). But, I did get another four to agree to pay via internet bank transfer. I'd rather be in control though and use GoCardless. I think what I'm going to do is hit them all with an official letter at some point soon explain that the whole business is switching to Direct Debit. Fingers crossed!

PoleKing

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:25:55 pm »
In the interests of balance.
Not everyone will go for gocardless in my experience.
I've lost 2 from pushing (perhaps a little too hard)
5 nearly lost.
Some people just don't like the idea of it.
It depends where you're at with work.
If you can afford to lose a chunk-by all means go for it. GoCardLess or nothing, take it or leave it.
If you like the business you've got, or need it proper need it, or can't afford to lose too many, be prepared to take as many firms of payment as you choose to.
My goals were to hit £1k a month on GCL. Hit that. Then wanted to get 100 customers a month on it. Signed up my 90th yesterday.
I'm happy. Would I like more? Yes. Will I convert more? Possibly.
I've been using GCL since September, losing a few gave me a bit of a bump to earth if I'm honest.
My advice for GCL? Use it as a tool. But try not to force everyone else to use it.
Some people just won't go for it.
Perhaps 'encourage' new customers to join. But only 'force' them if you can afford to lose the job.
Just my experience and 2 bobs worth.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

stuartb

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
Wow! You've done really well Poleking. I'll take your advice and not push too hard. All my customers are good ones so I'd rather not loose any if I can help it. I'm impressed at how well you've done. How exactly do you pitch GCL to your customers? And what's there normal response?

PoleKing

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:00:15 pm »
Cheers.
New ones. I just say payments are taken on the 1st of each month by direct debit, can I take your email and I'll send you the details please?'
Everyone will give their email.
Then get home and send the GCL email and an email from my account at exactly the same time. (Sometimes the GCL email will caught in spam)
You know what their email looks like.
Yours could say something like:

Hi Mr Smith, great to meet you today, I trust you were happy with our clean.
To follow you will receive the email we spoke about.
If you'd like to fill the details out we will be happy to add you to our database.
Any problems, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards...

This is not too pushy but sets out your terms.
The 'please do not hesitate to contact me' bit invites them to say from the get go if they're not happy with GCL. But you'll usually get the feeling from the initial contact with the customer if they're not happy.

There is no 'normal' response.
Some of my customers that I thought would jump at the chance have turned me down.
Some that I never thought would go for it, have.
Only you can set your target. IMO though, I would think it unrealistic to get you're entire round on it in less than a couple of years and a lot if dumping.
If you've got customers you've always had that always pay, don't force them our cause it'll be easier on GCL.
Just use the service as another way for them to pay.
I've only 'forced' a handful if customers onto it. Good work but habitual bad payers. And next week I'll be dumping a habitual bad payer that has refused GCL. Literally a handful though.
Also, if you push too hard-you look desperate.
Desperate=venerable.
Venerable=weak.
Weak=not incontrol.
And you need to be in control, it's your business.
Not being controlling (use forcing GCL) dies not make you not in control.

Hope that helps.

stuartb

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:26 pm »
Thanks so much for that, it really helps. I'll be adopting the same approach.
Cheers

PoleKing

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:32:12 pm »
No worries.
All the best with it.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »
Yeah absultly like poleking says, only give them GCL option if you can afford to loose them, in an ideal world GCL would be the only option but not everyone will go for it,
I'm not going to push too hard on established work only did with 30 slow payers and 14 signed up removed 5 and the other 10 prepaid and promised to not be late anymore , but I have enough work now so I can totally afford to loose any new customer that refuses GCL,infact I had a cold call Monday from the get go told him its direct debit only he already emailed me confirming all details and asked for the mandate, I gave him no option and it worked but like poleking says only if you can afford it and I could , wasn't intrested in the mistery factor only want regular and what better way to kick start a new clean with the first payment via direct debit

Mike #1

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:07 am »
The whole post has made me think about my approach more with CG option this past week i have told customers i am stopping cash collection all together , Although after a week i am still having to call back on some which is what i expected with some .

Now my older customers and those that just dont like the idea of giving out bank details over the internet i am happy to collect on them as they have given very valid and honest  reasons .

I have some new payment cards coming next week which outline that i will only accept  PayPal , Gocardless and Bacs and if the custys have any questions to contact me ASAP .

I also have a Pay Your Bill page on my website which is outlined on the card all this together will hopefully over the next 6 months reduce my collecting by 90% or more . This past week i have already done 100 miles less through not collecting . Mike

sunshine windows

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 06:43:07 am »
I've made up a batch of slips to let them know it's gocardless or no stamp on future envelopes. They can still pay by cheque in the post, but I'm not covering the costs on jobs under £50.

Been giving these out over the last month and have 26 converted so far. Should save me a small fortune in collection costs, as I'll be paying an average of about 20 pence on gocardless or nothing through the post
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk