This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Burbidge

Flow controllers, flow and pumps
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »
Got a couple films coming out. One on flow controllers, pumps etc that might help some understand better http://youtu.be/JK4vqL9gneA

And one film for fun coming soon :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoANaFK8Qo&list=UUCOaSlHI7OgFxaTrJjvGr4Q&feature=share&index=1

These are trailers btw

Spruce

Re: Flow controllers, flow and pumps
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:18:33 am »
Got a couple films coming out. One on flow controllers, pumps etc that might help some understand better http://youtu.be/JK4vqL9gneA

And one film for fun coming soon :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoANaFK8Qo&list=UUCOaSlHI7OgFxaTrJjvGr4Q&feature=share&index=1

These are trailers btw

Then do a follow up on pumps and controllers with Peter Fogwill.  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Lee GLS

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:04 am »

These are trailers btw

Then do a follow up on pumps and controllers with Peter Fogwill.  ;D

That would just be called "pumps with peter fogwill"

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03:05 am »

These are trailers btw

Then do a follow up on pumps and controllers with Peter Fogwill.  ;D

;D

Lee. At the risk of being a little controversial, why does Spring need the services of Perry Tait to do this feature with? Who is Perry Tait?

Surely Ian could have linked in with someone who has a bit more credibility in the world of window cleaning such as Alex Gardiner who also has many years of hands-on window cleaning experience. He also sells the Spring controller range.

Perry is a marketing and sales man and hasn’t got hands on experience with window cleaning with a pole – a fact that is clearly evident on his videos. His knowledge is all learnt theory.  He was there to promote Reach-it. I can just hear the conversation with the camera man – “take the shot from my right side so people can clearly see my company name.”

So what I’m sure will be a very interesting technical video done by Ian will be spoilt IMO by someone promoting themselves and their company on the back of it.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:26 am »
For me this was an opportunity to film some high quality professional technical videos on the operation and use of the controls, something I have been looking to do for a while. Both time and opportunity had eluded me up to that point.

As Perry was in the UK and wanted to discuss the features and operation of the controllers he was involved. The videos are QA based with discussions focusing on the features and benefits of the control. For me it was a way to support the controls and benefit all concerned.

I was grateful to Lee and WCM TV for the platform and opportunity largely because Lee is a credible voice in the profession and covers all angles of the business with out bias.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Pete Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »
Ian, you are clearly knowledgable in your field, and I would have been interested to see your comments, but why on earth you allowed yourself to filmed alongside someone with the reputation of Perry Tait, I'll never know.

Ignorance maybe? (Google him)

It's a shame, because you seem to know what you're talking about.

Surely Ian could have linked in with someone who has a bit more credibility in the world of window cleaning such as Alex Gardiner who also has many years of hands-on window cleaning experience. He also sells the Spring controller range.

Maybe he did but since the last time lee asked Alex moronic questions  about replacing poles that had touched electricity lines, maybe Alex decided the blokes an idiot and didn't want anything more to do with him.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:14:55 pm »
Thank you for the comments Pete and Spruce.

I have a great deal of respect for those working in this industry and firmly believe that as a profession you are all undervalued for the skill and knowledge you bring.
I am fortunate to be part of the profession, our suppliers are an important part of who we are and what we do.

Putting information into the hands of those who can make best use of it is important as it allows people to make decisions about the way they work.
Alex is well respected with the industry. I well remember the support he gave me when 1st joining the forum for which I am grateful.

As for Perry and the films an opportunity was presented that allowed me to get information out in a useful way. The intent was to support the control and distributors plus aid those with controls.
Five years ago I attended a Dale Carnigie course on business communication and read some very good books. Part of the process involves how to disagree - agreeably. While I may not agree with the way Perry presents himself which does not always help his cause as Benjamin Franklin once said " I will speak ill of no man" Better to try understand them.  This can be more profitable and intriguing.

I would hope the videos are informative with focus on the control which is the intent. And become less about pesonalities and their past.
V16 Is Here

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:24 pm »
Thank you for the comments Pete and Spruce.

I have a great deal of respect for those working in this industry and firmly believe that as a profession you are all undervalued for the skill and knowledge you bring.
I am fortunate to be part of the profession, our suppliers are an important part of who we are and what we do.

Putting information into the hands of those who can make best use of it is important as it allows people to make decisions about the way they work.
Alex is well respected with the industry. I well remember the support he gave me when 1st joining the forum for which I am grateful.

As for Perry and the films an opportunity was presented that allowed me to get information out in a useful way. The intent was to support the control and distributors plus aid those with controls.
Five years ago I attended a Dale Carnigie course on business communication and read some very good books. Part of the process involves how to disagree - agreeably. While I may not agree with the way Perry presents himself which does not always help his cause as Benjamin Franklin once said " I will speak ill of no man" Better to try understand them.  This can be more profitable and intriguing.

I would hope the videos are informative with focus on the control which is the intent. And become less about pesonalities and their past.

I am looking forward to the info presented. Thanks Ian.

G & M

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:51:17 pm »
Ian, are you or do you know someone who is involved in the design of the controllers. I am looking for a controller for a pentaflex (or similar) 12v 13amp 26.5ltr a minute pump. I believe there would be big demand for these controllers in the U.S. A controller that would be able to vary the flow would suffice.
Regards
Michael 

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »
Hi Michael

Currently no the max amps any of our controls can handle is 15 amps.
We are looking at the pentaflex and in the future hope to have a suitable control.
V16 Is Here

G & M

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:16 pm »
Thanks Ian, which one can handle 15amps?

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:01:41 am »

These are trailers btw

Then do a follow up on pumps and controllers with Peter Fogwill.  ;D

;D

Lee. At the risk of being a little controversial, why does Spring need the services of Perry Tait to do this feature with? Who is Perry Tait?

Perry is a marketing and sales man and hasn’t got hands on experience with window cleaning with a pole – a fact that is clearly evident on his videos. His knowledge is all learnt theory.  He was there to promote Reach-it. I can just hear the conversation with the camera man – “take the shot from my right side so people can clearly see my company name.”

So what I’m sure will be a very interesting technical video done by Ian will be spoilt IMO by someone promoting themselves and their company on the back of it.

No problem buddy. Let me try and answer your comments one by one.

Firstly, I do not let stuff like this consume my life.

I spent a week with Perry Tait filming the Reach-iT UK Tour, part of his larger World Tour sometime last year. Primary reason for Reach-iT and its tour was to promote their products in the UK but more importantly to meet as many window cleaners face to face as possible. This is the part WCM TV was interested in mostly when we planned the fly on the wall documentary. I got some great footage by the way.

Alex Gardiner, has been approached a few times in relation to WCM TV projects but has told me that its not for him. I respect that ( maybe one day we can get an 'inside Gardiner' documentary)

I guess on Perry's list of business visits was Spring in that trip. Spring has developing controllers for Reach-iT at the time.

I don't think you should under estimate PT knowledge and experience. My first hand knowledge of this guy is the opposite to what you have said.

In fact the 'chat' feel of this project will show that. Tech stuff can be boring so to have it as a 'chat' film with camera shots similar to something like on 'The Office' I thought might help to make the viewing more compelling.

I speak, interview and film many industry leaders as will as many awesome window cleaners like you and me. Not everyone likes each other, I can tell you some stories lol but that's not what I think my job is all about.

I hope this helps :)

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 06:03:13 am »
For me this was an opportunity to film some high quality professional technical videos on the operation and use of the controls, something I have been looking to do for a while. Both time and opportunity had eluded me up to that point.

As Perry was in the UK and wanted to discuss the features and operation of the controllers he was involved. The videos are QA based with discussions focusing on the features and benefits of the control. For me it was a way to support the controls and benefit all concerned.

I was grateful to Lee and WCM TV for the platform and opportunity largely because Lee is a credible voice in the profession and covers all angles of the business with out bias.

Thanks Ian. We had a great day filming that day :)

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06:37 am »
Ian, you are clearly knowledgable in your field, and I would have been interested to see your comments, but why on earth you allowed yourself to filmed alongside someone with the reputation of Perry Tait, I'll never know.

Ignorance maybe? (Google him)

It's a shame, because you seem to know what you're talking about.

Maybe he did but since the last time lee asked Alex moronic questions  about replacing poles that had touched electricity lines, maybe Alex decided the blokes an idiot and didn't want anything more to do with him.

Peter, a lot of time and effort is put into my work. I think being personally rude to me is not right. It was a valid question since the last story with a pole hitting overhead lines - the pole was replaced.

Look - I am aware that some industry camps dont get a long and sometimes I read in their answers in any of my questions/interviews the odd slight dig here and there at a competitor, that includes the people being discussed in this topic. But it is not my job to get involved. I am bias in the industry and I prefer to stay that way. If one company in a similar news story offers a pole replacement when it took a shock, why wouldn't I ask that again in another (same) news story. I really do not let this sort of thing consume me.... ;D

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 07:24:37 am »
Lee,

Thanks for putting my post into a different perspective with your side. Personally, I'm interested in the boring technical stuff and having someone (anyone) to put some light hearted banter into it to liven it up I personally find very distracting. But that's me.

Perry has done a few useful technical videos I admit – ie how many times to scrub a window to get it clean was a helpful one, but I find his meet the customer videos he does most irritating as he ‘clowns’ around and shows off in front of the camera.

I appreciate that as a hands-on window cleaner yourself you will have views and ideas that are built up with the experience you have gained personally in your own business environment, as I have. Some of those views and opinions may differ from what your readers/viewers believe.
It must be rather difficult to take a neutral, unbiased stance when presenting features that involve or can involve your personal likes and dislikes, eg, clamps could be one of them.

I'm not aware of the overhead electric power lines and a Gardiner pole story, but if I was Alex I would also have replaced that pole for free and got the other one back for analysis. It certainly wouldn’t have been replaced under warranty.  There is nothing better than having an actual sample to inspect as I would assume that an onsite high voltage test isn’t standard practice with pole manufacturers. 

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:57 am »
Thanks Ian, which one can handle 15amps?
The V11 Dual it is available from our distributors. The control is designed to work with two 8 amp pumps so the pcb had to be uprated.
This means it could potentially run a single larger pump. However i would not suggest using it with the pentaflex. We have a pentaflex at the factory and it is a big ole pump that would fry the dual in its current configuration.
V16 Is Here

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:03 am »

I'm not aware of the overhead electric power lines and a Gardiner pole story, but if I was Alex I would also have replaced that pole for free and got the other one back for analysis. It certainly wouldn’t have been replaced under warranty.  There is nothing better than having an actual sample to inspect as I would assume that an onsite high voltage test isn’t standard practice with pole manufacturers. 

There really is no value in me having the pole back to examine as I have seen carbon fibre poles in the past when they have hit electricity cables and it is not a pretty sight. Carbon fibre conducts electricity extremely well and there is nothing that we would gain by seeing this again as we cannot 'engineer' this ability out of it.

We simply get around it by having insulated layers on the handle/extension sections - this has been proved and tested years ago to be effective as another client found out recently.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:47:50 am »
Alex Gardiner, has been approached a few times in relation to WCM TV projects but has told me that its not for him.

Ha ha, sounds like I hit the nail on the head!

G & M

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:16 pm »
Ian, do you think it is going to be feasible to make a controller for these types of pumps. I believe there is a market for them. If your company isn't going to make one can you suggest what I might need to get one made myself

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »
Ian, do you think it is going to be feasible to make a controller for these types of pumps. I believe there is a market for them. If your company isn't going to make one can you suggest what I might need to get one made myself

In short yes it is feasible to make a controller for these Pentaflex pumps, The issue we have is two fold.
1. Managing the high current spikes. This need some serious components and ensuring the circuitary can handle this very high current.
2. Building a test facility that can handle the pressure generated by the pump

I am not qualified enough to even begin how you would go about this, Fortunately We have have the engineers who do,
30 amps is a lot of current and need managing carefully. Going forward it may require a new control designed and built from scratch. I have to agree with you there is a market out there
V16 Is Here