Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What is your view?

Dont care
14.6%
6 (14.6%)
It is very important to me
53.7%
22 (53.7%)
I dont think about it
9.8%
4 (9.8%)
I do think about it
22%
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Lee Burbidge

Health & Safety
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:07:30 pm »
Health & Safety is common sense, but how many have thought about the way they work and wether it is as safe as it can be? Do you have risk assessments? Do you have a company health & safety system in place? Have you been trained to carry out a risk assessment?

PoleKing

Re: Health & Safety
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:32 pm »
Have all of the above but it is all BS.
People who harp on about it tend to be putz's.
Look at the clean safe boys. Money for for old rope.
The safest thing is a little but of common sense.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:39 pm »
H & S is in part there because some don't use their common sense or just don't have it.

Last week, or the week before, I saw a workman going up a double extension ladder to fix some guttering and the bottom of the ladder was worn down to the aluminium. If he kills or injures himself, that's his problem but put that same person in charge of others? Then what?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »
Had the best teachers. Over 20 years in Fire and Rescue. It works perfect alongside this job, all be it a lot

is common sense.

Steve

wfp master

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
Health & Safety is common sense, but how many have thought about the way they work and wether it is as safe as it can be? Do you have risk assessments? Do you have a company health & safety system in place? Have you been trained to carry out a risk assessment?
common sense. the rest is no.no.no.

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:44 am »
By having everything correctly in place I was able to defend myself against a potential large personal injury claim last year .......... so glad I spent a little money and a few hours of my time getting my RAMS etc in place.

NEVER want the hassle again  ::)roll

Soupy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:07 am »
I've spent 1000s on 'elf and safety training over the years.

Sadly most of it is designed to teach you how not to get sued rather than how to stay safe.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:50:46 am »
I is clear that Health & Safety appears to be a two pronged approach, keeping yourself and your staff safe and from being claimed against, although, would it surprise you that in the event of a death IMO you will still get fined, Health & Safety is very complex to be absolutely water tight against claims involving fatalities is not always achievable. For example the first question they will ask you is if there was a specific RA ( Risk Assessment) for that specific site and where is the proof that your employee understood it that day......

Worth thinking about how you teach your staff H&S and gaining proof ( regularly, maybe ) that they understand and have read your RA. OCS have this right with a hand held PDA that does not allow them to start the job unless they go through a couple questions, RA. By pressing the button that they understand helps a lot ( on each job)

Worth thinking about me thinks....