This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PurefectWindowCleaning

Electric in back of van?
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »
My van has a 12volt (i think) plug in the back.

Is it wishful thinking that I can somehow use this to power my system?

If yes... I shall be buying an in van microwave  ;D

LWC

Re: Electric in back of van?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:55:30 pm »
I fitted a cigarette end to my pump one and it kept blowing the fuses

jonboywalton75

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:29 pm »
My cig lighter point in back powers my pump fine,  as long as I need it. 

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:47 am »

If yes... I shall be buying an in van microwave  ;D

You need to find out what amp fuse protects it. You will probably find it in the fuse section of your hand book.

My guess is that it will be protected with either a 10 amp or 15 amp fuse.  It will be 12 volt.

My SIL's Transit connect had the same aux plug and Ford protected the circuit with a 15 amp fuse. (I think a cigarette lighter draws 10 amps from memory).  

So you will be able to power 1 pump from the circuit as your controller will be protected with a 10 amp fuse. Shurflo pumps will draw 8 amps max so you will NOT be able to power 2 pumps.

What we did with the Connect van is 'tapped' into the wires before the socket and connected those up to a split charge relay. We fitted an 85 amp h leisure battery for him and this is what recharges his leisure battery.  As a single operator and for the mileage he travels he only has to supplementary charge his battery every month or so.

Can you get a 12v microwave? I thought they were all 230v and you need a 12v inverter to power it which is a whole new ball game.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:42 am »

If yes... I shall be buying an in van microwave  ;D

You need to find out what amp fuse protects it. You will probably find it in the fuse section of your hand book.

My guess is that it will be protected with either a 10 amp or 15 amp fuse.  It will be 12 volt.

My SIL's Transit connect had the same aux plug and Ford protected the circuit with a 15 amp fuse. (I think a cigarette lighter draws 10 amps from memory).  

So you will be able to power 1 pump from the circuit as your controller will be protected with a 10 amp fuse. Shurflo pumps will draw 8 amps max so you will NOT be able to power 2 pumps.

What we did with the Connect van is 'tapped' into the wires before the socket and connected those up to a split charge relay. We fitted an 85 amp h leisure battery for him and this is what recharges his leisure battery.  As a single operator and for the mileage he travels he only has to supplementary charge his battery every month or so.

Can you get a 12v microwave? I thought they were all 230v and you need a 12v inverter to power it which is a whole new ball game.

Cheers Spruce... I'll have a look.  ;)

Simon Mess

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:26 am »
You do get microwaves to fit in vehicles, certainly trucks, my brother is an ex long distance trucker. I know trucks have 24v electrics, but i am pretty sure he said to me once that the power points in the cab were 12v. He had a microwave, coffee machine, fridge, tv/dvd player!.

On a separate note, i have my pump controller wired directly to my van battery. It came with wires and instructions to do so, and was not difficult.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:37:14 am »
I run 1 pump off my cig lighter in the back of my connect, the 2nd pump runs off a separate battery, works well for me

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:05 pm »
just looking into getting set up yo run a gutter vac from the van as we have an old gas borad transit that as it rigged up already

but its going to be down to weight as the inverter is heavy and about 2foot square

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »
just looking into getting set up yo run a gutter vac from the van as we have an old gas borad transit that as it rigged up already

but its going to be down to weight as the inverter is heavy and about 2foot square

For a decent gutter vac you need a 5.0kva petrol/diesel driven generator.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:21 pm »

the inverters use buy the gas board are run on the engine of the van and run peckers ect ect so it will run the gutter vac easy even with three motors were just scrapping the van so its a free set up its just the size and the weight of the thing

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:36 pm »

the inverters use buy the gas board are run on the engine of the van and run peckers ect ect so it will run the gutter vac easy even with three motors were just scrapping the van so its a free set up its just the size and the weight of the thing

Oh, I know the one now!  :-[

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »

If yes... I shall be buying an in van microwave  ;D

Ive got one of those in the front. I can use it to power a kettle. A baby kettle. A camping kettle. I also have a gas burner stove in my van so use that instead.  :D